PDA

View Full Version : Famous fans?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Paddyfield
26/07/2006, 6:16 PM
Does your Club have any famous fans?

I'm not talking about a "local celeb" turning up for a big game but a genuine fan who attends a miserable nill all mid-table dogfights on a pi$$y wet Friday?

GALWAY UNITED:

Tommy Tiernan ... he even wears a GUFC scarf

Michael D Higgins... last year he went to the away game in Kildare. He often shouts out mild abuse.

Nick Leeson ...he's the General Manger of the Club

DmanDmythDledge
26/07/2006, 6:28 PM
Brian Kerr is often seen down at Belfield Park but it remains to be seen whether he is actually a fan of UCD.

passerrby
26/07/2006, 6:33 PM
once seen a real rovers fan, but now that i think of it maybe not

sligoman
26/07/2006, 6:37 PM
Brian Kerr is often seen down at Belfield Park but it remains to be seen whether he is actually a fan of UCD.I think he's more of a Pat's fan in fairness;).

As for us, we have the most famous of the lot, Aine Chambers:p.

passerrby
26/07/2006, 6:41 PM
I know im going to hate myself for this but who is aine chambers

red bellied
26/07/2006, 6:42 PM
Tommie Gorman the RTE news corresspondent for Northern Ireland is a Sligo Rovers supporter dont know if you could call famous though.

sligoman
26/07/2006, 6:42 PM
who is aine chambers:eek:, here (http://www.sligozone.net/). Do ye get Podge and Rodge up yer way?:rolleyes: :D.

superfrank
26/07/2006, 6:46 PM
George Hamilton...supposedly.

Réiteoir
26/07/2006, 7:42 PM
I'm pretty sure snooker bloke Ken Doherty is a Bohs fan

eamoss
26/07/2006, 7:44 PM
Ahh me :D

Steve Staunton
Dermot Ahern
Jim Corr????

fbtn
26/07/2006, 7:57 PM
Cormac Dunne, drummer of The Stunning. From Ballybofey and goes to Finn Park anytime he is home.

Billy Bragg wore a Harps jersey while playing at the Fleadh in Finsbury Park one year. Does that count?

Dodge
26/07/2006, 7:57 PM
I'm pretty sure snooker bloke Ken Doherty is a Bohs fan
Never heard him mention it. Heard him talk about Man U a ot and celtic too.

Pats 3 most famour fans (and actual fans who go to games (or at least did until they got too famous :) ), rather than just say they like someone)
Brian Kerr
Bernard Dunne
Something Happens (mainly Alan Byrne)

passerrby
26/07/2006, 8:06 PM
who,s podge and rodge

Stevo Da Gull
26/07/2006, 9:38 PM
Bray Wanderers - Damien Duff, I've seen him at 3 games (2 this season) and all 3 were shíte would'nt ye know:rolleyes:

I'm not sure know but I know that Nicky Byrne (as well as playing for Cobh?) played a friendly match for us and I was watching TV before and there was something on about Westlife which showed them kicking a ball about and I think that 2 of them were wearing Bray jersey's (not sure though):confused: - That said though I've never seen any of them at a match.

Des Cahill

gspain
26/07/2006, 9:57 PM
Limerick

Terry Wogan - gave us a great mention on his breakfast show the morning we played Southampton in the Dell. Used to go many moons ago.

Conor McNamara - BBC commentator - was a regular in Rathbane growing up.

Diane Hennegen - former Rose of Tralee used to go when her boyfriend was playing for us - Gordon Cowper. She was famous then. :p

JP McManus - allegedly

Another famous one concerns Cork Hibs - Mick O'Connell a Kerry GAA legend was a big football fan and used to go to the Lodge regularly. Now this was during the ban so he should have been banned from playing GAA but he was too good. It came to a head when the Cork Examiner printed a photo of him on the front page at the Lodge and goaded the bigots into banning him. They had to accuse "de paper" of doctoring the photo. .:)

Paddyfield
26/07/2006, 10:07 PM
Limerick
JP McManus - allegedly

You wish!!!!!

adamcarr
26/07/2006, 10:10 PM
Isnt Karl Spain a big Limerick fan??

nshoop
26/07/2006, 10:15 PM
Ken Doherty was a big rovers fan as a kid and went to most games in miltown,being from ranelaigh

adamcarr
26/07/2006, 10:21 PM
Des Bishop is a big fan of Cork City also ourlord mayor is a big fan.

Red&White
26/07/2006, 10:35 PM
Doctor Who came to one of our games...

The Stars
26/07/2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure know but I know that Nicky Byrne (as well as playing for Cobh?) played a friendly match for us and I was watching TV before and there was something on about Westlife which showed them kicking a ball about and I think that 2 of them were wearing Bray jersey's (not sure though):confused: - That said though I've never seen any of them at a match.

dont know about that,considering 3 are from Sligo and they did the same stunt of wearing Rovers jerseys for something aswell.never saw them in the showgrounds though.
Mark Feehily and Shane Filan did sponsor kits and training gear for the under 16s a few years ago though.

Aine Chambers - hands down,the most famous fan in the country.

dcfcsteve
26/07/2006, 10:49 PM
Top the City list if you can :

POLITICS :
John Hume, Nobel Prize Winner, DCFC Club President.
Martin McGuinness, MP
Mitchel McLaughlin, MLA, Sinn Fein General Secretary
Mark Durkin, MP, SDLP Leader (occassional fan).
Dana, MEP (used to go to games).

MUSIC
Phil Coulter, (former Club President)
The Undertones (have played gigs for the club / DCFC cover to 'My Perfect Cousin')
Dana (see above :) )

RELIGION
Former Archbishop Edward Daly (well known for his role during the Troubles).

OTHERS
- David Tennant : Current Dr Who. Came to watch us whilst filming about his ancestors in Derry.
- I believe Billy Connolly has watched us play before (he has family in Derry).
- I'd love to believe that Nadine Coyle is a fan of the club :D

No doubt there's more that other City fans can fill in.

Réiteoir
26/07/2006, 10:51 PM
Ken Doherty was a big rovers fan as a kid and went to most games in miltown,being from ranelaigh

The start of this tends to suggest otherwise:

http://www.bohemians.ie/video/bohs-waterford-WEB.wmv

Like any big Rovers fan would do that...

headtheball
26/07/2006, 11:06 PM
Top the City list if you can :

POLITICS :
John Hume, Nobel Prize Winner, DCFC Club President.
Martin McGuinness, MP
Mitchel McLaughlin, MLA, Sinn Fein General Secretary
Mark Durkin, MP, SDLP Leader (occassional fan).

MUSIC
Phil Coulter, (former Club President)
The Undertones (have played gigs for the club / DCFC cover to 'My Perfect Cousin')
Dana (see above :) )

RELIGION
Former Archbishop Edward Daly (well known for his role during the Troubles).

OTHERS
- David Tennant : Current Dr Who. Came to watch us whilst filming about his ancestors in Derry.
- I believe Billy Connolly has watched us play before (he has family in Derry).
- I'd love to believe that Nadine Coyle is a fan of the club :D

No doubt there's more that other City fans can fill in.

The late John Peel legendary DJ,was in fact presently with a city jersey by the undertones in the documentary about the band.

Matt Etherington West Ham has been to watch us a few times also,he married a derry girl.

nshoop
26/07/2006, 11:13 PM

Well,I don't know who put him up to that,probably a relation of the producer or looking for support know that he's sh*te like bohs

De Town
27/07/2006, 12:02 AM
Brian Kerr is often seen down at Belfield Park but it remains to be seen whether he is actually a fan of UCD.
He was watching Pats in Flancare last Wednesday night.

adamcarr
27/07/2006, 12:18 AM
Ken Loach said he's now a big City fan after going down to the X to one of our games during the filming of The Wind That Shakes The Barley.:cool:

sligoman
27/07/2006, 12:27 AM
Isnt Karl Spain a big Limerick fan??Yep, still is afaik. Don't know if he goes to many games anymore, Limerick fans, do ye know?

He was their mascot in some cup final years ago when he was about 10, see here (http://www.foot.ie/showpost.php?p=418868&postcount=59):D.

Eoingull
27/07/2006, 12:31 AM
Billy Bragg actually made a joke at one of his concerts about wearing his Finn Harps jersey around London, and people asked him "where was Finn?", despite the fact "Donegal Creameries" was splashed across the front of it!

fbtn
27/07/2006, 12:39 AM
Karl Spain brought one of dates on Karl Spain Needs A Woman to a Shels european match as far as I remember. His brother Gary (gspain) posts on here.

sligoman
27/07/2006, 12:46 AM
His brother (gspain) posts on here.That's his brother? Cool, didn't know that. That must have been who he was on about going to the world cup with so:D.

Réiteoir
27/07/2006, 12:57 AM
Karl Spain brought one of dates on Karl Spain Needs A Woman to a Shels european match as far as I remember. His brother Gary (gspain) posts on here.

If there's any way to drive a woman away - it'd be that

sligoman
27/07/2006, 1:00 AM
Just thought of it, I remember one of the comedians on Des Bishop's joy in the hood thing was a Bohs fan. One of the guy's from the Ballymun episode, his name escapes me now though:o.

gspain
27/07/2006, 7:21 AM
Isnt Karl Spain a big Limerick fan??

He goes when he can. He played for the youths in Billy Hamilton's day too.

As was pointed out elsewhere he was the mascot for the Cup semi final v Waterford in 1980.

fanatic
27/07/2006, 7:58 AM
Ive spotted Eusebio in the brandywell once.

Terry
27/07/2006, 8:00 AM
paddyfield, you forgot the saw doctors, and the (junior?) minister with all the money Frank Fahey !!!

Raheny Red
27/07/2006, 8:08 AM
Doctor Who came to one of our games...

DR. Who exactly ?? :confused: :p

Raheny Red
27/07/2006, 8:09 AM

That interview is in Barcode, Fairview - clearly a Redsman ;) :rolleyes:

lofty9
27/07/2006, 8:29 AM
DR. Who exactly ?? :confused: :p

http://www.derrycityfc.net/images/drwho.jpg

The one on the left!

harpskid
27/07/2006, 8:43 AM

She's a Harps fan - See HERE (http://homepage.eircom.net/~harpskid/DANA.jpg), that's her at the cup final back in '99 ;)

Jerry The Saint
27/07/2006, 8:54 AM
http://www.derrycityfc.net/images/drwho.jpg

The one on the left!

:eek: Bit of a step down from Billie Piper, in fairness.

joeSoap
27/07/2006, 8:55 AM
Limerick

Terry Wogan - gave us a great mention on his breakfast show the morning we played Southampton in the Dell. Used to go many moons ago.

Conor McNamara - BBC commentator - was a regular in Rathbane growing up.

Diane Hennegen - former Rose of Tralee used to go when her boyfriend was playing for us - Gordon Cowper. She was famous then. :p

JP McManus - allegedly
Noel and Mike Hogan of the Cranberries used to frequent Rathbane for a few seasons not so long ago....

NY Hoop
27/07/2006, 10:08 AM
once seen a real rovers fan, but now that i think of it maybe not

Surgery needed for the massive chip on your shoulder.

Isnt tiernan, the unfunniest comic around, from navan???

Charlie O'Connor TD is a Rovers fan as is Maureen O'Hara. Dermot Morgan RIP was a Hoop too.

Ken Doherty's first Rovers game was against Fram in the UEFA Cup in 1982.

KOH

ColinR
27/07/2006, 10:15 AM
. Dermot Morgan RIP was a Hoop too.

was dermott morgan not a ucd fan - certainly seen him at belfield on a number of occasions at ucd-drogs matches

Jerry The Saint
27/07/2006, 10:18 AM
Ken Doherty's first Rovers game was against Fram in the UEFA Cup in 1982.

He made a big deal about parading the World Championship trophy around Old Trafford and Celtic Park. If he's such a big Shamrock fan why didn't he carry the trophy around your home gr- ohhhh...... never mind...

Dodge
27/07/2006, 10:21 AM
Tiernan, by miles the funniest comic around, is from Navan but went to College in Galway and lioves therenow (not too sure about last bit)

Morgan was definitely a UCD fan

Poor Student
27/07/2006, 10:23 AM
Kerr worked in UCD as a lab technician, but he's definitely a Pat's man.

Dave Fanning is a UCD fan. Jimmy Magee is often at games too. He said Belfield is his favourite ground.

Dodge
27/07/2006, 10:32 AM
Meaney is (a fairly big one too), Farrell's not (just because his Da played for you)

Loads here jsut saying random people who were at one or two games...

Oh and I forgot Con Houlihan for Pats. Love the chapter in his book about us.

KildareFan
27/07/2006, 10:36 AM
- I'd love to believe that Nadine Coyle is a fan of the club

I doubt you'll see her at the Brandywell any time soon, haven't you recently signed her ex-boyfriend?

De Town
27/07/2006, 10:53 AM
Tiernan, by miles the funniest comic around, is from Navan but went to College in Galway and lioves therenow (not too sure about last bit)
Tiernan is definately the funniest comic around.

He was originally from Navan but went to school in Garbaly (sp.) in Ballinasloe. Hector (cant spell 2nd name!!) went there aswell and now they're good friends.