PDA

View Full Version : Bredan Menton on why the Sky deal is good for Irish football

Colm
13/07/2002, 11:50 AM
In todays Irish times Brendan Menton makes some very good arguments on why the FAI's new TV deal is good for all levels of Irish football.
I strongly suggest you read this (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2002/0713/loi1.htm)

Michael Nugent
13/07/2002, 3:15 PM
There is so much in this article that is grossly misleading that it is hard to know where to start. Here are four key points that jump out on an initial reading. I’ll post more about this later.

Michael Nugent

-----------------------------------------

What Brendan Menton Wrote:

“More investment in grounds, more development funds, extra youth initiatives, more support for the domestic league in Ireland and extra resources at senior coaching level. That's the result of the television rights package which the FAI has secured with Sky and TV3.”

The Reality:

The FAI signed two separate contracts, not one. Nobody is complaining about the TV3 deal. The only problem is the deal with Sky, whose stated policy is to “use sport as the battering ram for pay television”. And there is no commitment from the FAI that the Sky money will go into any of the areas Brendan Menton has outlined.

“Three weeks ago, if the thousands of young soccer players lining out every week in Ireland, the dedicated and hard-working club members who support the players in all sorts of conditions, and the genuine Irish soccer supporters in this country had been told that these benefits would be available for the future development of the sport, I believe most would have welcomed the opportunity with open arms.”

The Reality:

Long before this deal, we were already all told that these benefits would be available for the future development of the sport. Last December, the FAI announced a major development plan, underpinned by AT LEAST 57m Euro of Government money over the next three years alone, for precisely all of these things. The FAI said at the time (correctly) that this was the major breakthrough that Irish football had needed. The Sky deal adds less than one tenth of this amount to the money available for football development. To pretend that it represents a “dramatic increase in positive nationwide investment” is simply nonsense. It represents an alienation of the people who are already paying for the developments he has listed.

“Most organisations, commercial or not, would be extremely satisfied with an achievement of this magnitude through any deal process.”

The Reality:

Even if it was all about money, which it isn’t, the FAI have sold out for a pittance in international terms. Sky signed a deal last week to pay the English Nationwide League twice as much per live game as they are planning to pay the FAI. And the Nationwide Club chairmen are calling for the resignation of the people who signed that deal, on the basis that it was poor value for money. So the FAI deal is an incredibly poor one if you look it at from a financial viewpoint, as well as a sell-out of priceless footballing values if you look at from the perspective of the beautiful game.

“We fully understand the genuine issues raised by the members of the public, many dedicated and committed soccer supporters, but those descending on Ireland in the past week would be forgiven for perceiving that watching the national team live, four times in two years, is a life-or-death matter.”

The Reality:

This is typical of the patronising and arrogant approach taken by the FAI on this issue. Who exactly are “those descending on Ireland in the past week”? In no other area of democratic life would an entity funded by taxpayers get away with insulting the people who pay their wages like this. As I have said before, this time the FAI has gone too far. And they have clearly not learned the first rule of crisis management: when you are in a hole, stop digging.

Colm
14/07/2002, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Michael Nugent
Even if it was all about money, which it isn’t, the FAI have sold out for a pittance in international terms. Sky signed a deal last week to pay the English Nationwide League twice as much per live game as they are planning to pay the FAI. And the Nationwide Club chairmen are calling for the resignation of the people who signed that deal, on the basis that it was poor value for money. So the FAI deal is an incredibly poor one if you look it at from a financial viewpoint, as well as a sell-out of priceless footballing values if you look at from the perspective of the beautiful game. I have to agree with you on that point, surely our national team is worth more than the English lower leagues. Maybe we are selling ourselves short, but what were the FAI to do- Sky were the highest bidder, should the FAI have waited to see if someone came in with a £95 million bid!!! I think not.
The FAI wanted as much money as possible and this was as much as any broadcasting entity were willing to pay.

pete
15/07/2002, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by Michael Nugent
[BThe Reality:

The FAI signed two separate contracts, not one. Nobody is complaining about the TV3 deal. The only problem is the deal with Sky, whose stated policy is to “use sport as the battering ram for pay television”. And there is no commitment from the FAI that the Sky money will go into any of the areas Brendan Menton has outlined.
[/B]

So if the FAI hold out against satelite tv it will prevent Murdoch from getting his pay tv in place?

Virtually every other sporting organisation has sold out to Sky already so whether the FAI do a deal with him or not will mean feck all difference.

You got some valid points to make but you also seem obcess with that quote from Murdoch. When did he say it anyway?

btw do you have any connection with or know anything about the Irish Soccer Supporters Association?

Michael Nugent
15/07/2002, 10:37 AM
Hi Pete,

He said it in 1996 to a Sky shareholders meeting. It was about extending Pay TV into Asia, and he said they would do there what they have done everywhere else in the world, use sports as the battering ram for pay tv.

I'll answer you other points later, as I'm just on my way out somewhere.

Re the supporters association, no I'm not involved. I just go to matches or watch them on the telly if I can't get a ticket.

I've been trying to figure out what organisations exist, as ideally there should be one official entity representing Irish football fans that everyone can identify with and that is accountable in a structured way to all Irish football fans.

As far as I can make out, there seems to be

- The Irish Football Supporters Association, which is the body Alan Hunter is spokesperson for, and which represents soccer, GAA and rugby fans. I've spoken to Alan Hunter by phone over the past few days. I didn't know the organisation existed until this row emerged.

- The Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Association, which I have seen referred to in newspaper reports and Irish match programmes as far back as the 1980s, but I don't have a contact address for them.

- And a group called National league United, which was set up in 1996 to oppose the Wimbledon move to Dublin.

I'd welcome any further information or contact details that anybody else has on the latter two of these groups.

Michael Nugent

pete
15/07/2002, 11:14 AM
I gave the IFSA/ISSA their own thread so see my reply there.....

The Republic of Ireland Soccer Supporters Association seems to have been around for many years & i've heard do have real members.

National League United was as you suggest setup to oppose the 'Dublin Dons'. It is still in existence & although don't think they have many members should have a members from each eL club. The last I heard of them they held a National League Forum last year in dublin with a panel made up of the representatives from the FAI, eL manager, eL administrator, referee, eL player & media......

Macy
15/07/2002, 11:19 AM
Problem with one entity is the difference in issues/ideals between the eL supporters and the ole ole lot....... How many times has the eL improved coverage been mentioned in this debate through out the media (apart from a couple of texts to 'The Sunday Supplement' on TodayFM yesterday ;) ).....

Anyway, link to NLU (http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/NLU/) where you should be able to contact them......

pete
15/07/2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Macy
How many times has the eL improved coverage been mentioned in this debate through out the media (apart from a couple of texts to 'The Sunday Supplement' on TodayFM yesterday ;) ).....

So you got them to read out dome of your texts yesterday? I've heard them read out eL related comments in the past but in an annoying patronising manner. The 'Last Word' ban on the eL seems to extend to texts too as i can't get them to read mine out & have never heard eL supportive comments read out either......

:(

Macy
15/07/2002, 12:15 PM
Never had any success with the last word eL texts, but every time I've texted with another comment non-sports related it's been read :rolleyes:

Got two read on the Sunday Supplement this week, albeit under two different names..... remember when they had Tim O'Connor on they read a lot of them out.....

Colm
15/07/2002, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by pete
The 'Last Word' ban on the eL seems to extend to texts too Yeah, Dunphy doesnt seem to have much time for the el which is a pity. Also, RTE have not once mentioned the el aspect of the TV deal in any of the biased coverage they have given the deal over the last week or so- typical:rolleyes:

pete
15/07/2002, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by COLM
Yeah, Dunphy doesnt seem to have much time for the el which is a pity. Also, RTE have not once mentioned the el aspect of the TV deal in any of the biased coverage they have given the deal over the last week or so- typical:rolleyes:

Dunphy prity much has a ban on the eL which is very disappointing. He could at least give some publicity around FAI Cup weekend at the very least.

Little mentioned but amazing fact - tv3 paid more for delayed international match coverage + the eL than RTE offered this time & probably paid last time for live international coverage.

Why do tv3 think the package they got is commercially viable & RTE do not?

:rolleyes:

Colm
15/07/2002, 2:34 PM
IMO, RTE have always seen broadcasting el as an annoying little condition they had to fulfill in order to show the internationals.
TV3 seem to think there is a market for the el and I believe they will promote the product far better than RTE ever did.