PDA

View Full Version : Limerick FC win Munster Senior Cup

JoeyFantastic
25/07/2006, 11:34 PM
Limerick win the Munster Senior Cup
Tuesday, 25 July 2006 11:25

Noel Mooney was the hero for Limerick

Limerick goalkeeper Noel Mooney emerged as one of the heroes after his side won the Munster Senior Cup on penalties against Cobh Ramblers after both sides finished at 0-0 after extra-time.

Mooney brilliantly saved two penalties on an evening when captain Pat Purcell, Robbie Kelleher, Derek McCarthy and Kevin Waters all netted from the spot to bring the cup back to Shannonside.

Ramblers created the majority of opportunities in normal time with Dave Warren, Dave O'Neill and Mike Mulconroy all testing Mooney.

But Limerick upped the tempo in extra time and almost opened the scoring via Gareth Cooney and Colm Heffernan, who was denied by a fine save from James McCarthy.

Ramblers midfielder Darren Murphy was sent off on the stroke of full time in extra time following a scuffle in midfield.

Terry
26/07/2006, 7:09 AM
Congratulation on yer win.

From a selfish point of view, I hope the 120 minutes tired ye out and will have some sort of effect on ye for friday night !! :D

LFC in Exile
26/07/2006, 8:10 AM
Great win. 1 down - 3 more to go. I know its only the MSC but winning a cup is always a boost. I hope it helps overcome the tired legs for Friday night. The last thing we needed was extra time - but still.. congrats. :ball:

Comic Book Guy
26/07/2006, 10:28 AM
Congrats on the win, absolutely gutted to lose it after dominating play for most of the game. BTW the pitch in Askeaton was terrible and did not help. I would say it was the worst I have seen in a long time. But once again, Congratulations.

drinkfeckarse
26/07/2006, 10:43 AM
I know its only the MSC but winning a cup is always a boost.

A Cup is always worth winning...

sadloserkid
26/07/2006, 11:20 AM
Delighted I must say. There's no such thing as a bad trophy to win (that said if we had lost I'd be dismissing it as a nothing competition now :))

Game on the pitch was pretty poor in terms of quality, I think that Comic Book Guy's observation about the pitch wasn't a million miles from the truth. Game was dramatic enough though. A fair amount of noise on the sidelines too.

Happy days all round. It meant a lot to the players too (Wolfe more than most it should be noted).

thelimerick
26/07/2006, 12:47 PM
Delighted to hear that the blues won, especially for the players.
Hopefully it rolls over onto our league form. Congratultions all round!

CraftyToePoke
26/07/2006, 4:22 PM
good news, and well done limerick.

could anyone give an estimate as to the attendance ?

sadloserkid
26/07/2006, 4:40 PM
good news, and well done limerick.

could anyone give an estimate as to the attendance ?

500ish I would suggest.

4tothefloor
26/07/2006, 4:42 PM
Good win, any win over Ramblers is good, but to be honest I don't rate the MSC at all. Didn't travel to the game for that reason. Lets hope it gives the players some confidence though cos they've been pretty poor in recent weeks.

paudie
28/07/2006, 12:56 PM
Congrats on the win lads.

BTW make sure ye keep the cup nice and shiny. We'll be taking it back next year.;)

CollegeTillIDie
28/07/2006, 7:03 PM
Well done Limerick, makes a nice change to see someone other than Cork City win that Cup.