PDA

View Full Version : Cascarino on O'Leary: "I just don't like him"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

deadman
25/07/2006, 10:22 AM
don't know if this has done the rounds yet, but great piece by Caz in the (english) times last week.

-----------------------------------

Game's up for hollow man as chairman finally gets wise

By Tony Cascarino

DOUG ELLIS has finally seen through the hollow man. What took him so long? The supporters and some of the backroom staff at Villa Park realised the truth about David O’Leary long ago. When Villa beat Birmingham City last season, O’Leary made a “that’s for you” gesture towards his chairman.

Ellis was just about the last man standing behind his manager, but there is only so much anyone can take when faced with poor results on the pitch and a bad atmosphere off it.

It seemed as if every time O’Leary opened his mouth he undermined the club, always making excuses, blaming someone else. He couldn’t simply roll up his sleeves and get on with it. All those quotes implying that he had an impossible job; by the end, that’s what it was — but because of O’Leary, not in spite of his efforts.

People think I have an axe to grind with O’Leary, my former Ireland team-mate who I know well, and that I am bitter towards him for some reason, but that is not right. The truth is, a bit like that Villa supporters’ banner from last term, I’m not fickle, I just don’t like him. He is the least sincere person I have met.

One time, he was out of the Arsenal side. He told me that the reason George Graham was not picking him was that the manager was envious of his house. Apparently, Graham had to drive past O’Leary’s pad every day and it was slightly bigger.

No one can deny that O’Leary did well at Leeds United, especially early on, but he was lucky. How many other first-time managers are given a transfer fund big enough to compete with Manchester United? Talking to a well- respected journalist about him, I said: “I can’t understand why things work out for David.” He replied: “It works out for 18 months. Then the players will find out what he’s all about and turn against him.”

And that is about right — things went well at Villa for the first half of his reign, then went sour.

Where does O’Leary go now? His stock has plummeted. The word is out about his personality. His public comments have shown naivety and self-interest. The hollow man looks empty.

O’Leary and Ellis are similar in some ways. Blasé, name-dropping, mocked by players behind their back. I bumped into Ellis in the 1990s when I was playing for Marseilles, years after my spell at Villa. “You’ll have to come and visit me on my yacht in Monaco,” he told me. Those were his first words; no “hello, how are you?”

Ellis is a bit of a know-all, can be sarcastic and tough to get on with. He would come into the Villa dressing-room and have his say. As if we wanted to listen to him.

Rory H
25/07/2006, 11:13 AM
its rich from cascarino seeing most villa fans disliked him too

RogerMilla
25/07/2006, 11:20 AM
big cas was a disaster at villa but i think he would be first to admit it. i imagine in o'learys own mind everything is anyones fault but his own. in his book cas mentions a few other negative things about O'leary although cas was blinded a bit as he was very much a big jack devotee

NeilMcD
25/07/2006, 11:23 AM
Cascarino does not like O Leary so would not take it as objective journalism if that is possible anyway. What did Roy Keane say about Cascarino, " Never trust a word that comes from that mans mouth"

Rory H
25/07/2006, 11:24 AM
big cas was a disaster at villa

id love to see him manage a club like villa...lets see what he can do.....but he wont so he should shut his laptop and get off the "everyone hates o leary" bandwagon

i think i was the only villa fan to ever like o leary...in the last 2 years that is...1st year he was a hero....

Closed Account 2
25/07/2006, 11:45 AM
He is the least sincere person I have met.

When you consider this man met Bernard Tapie, that comment looks lower than a Dunphy blow.

RogerMilla
25/07/2006, 11:51 AM
neil , where is that quote from roy from? i never heard that one..
have to say i have always had a soft spot for big cas and loved his book.
o'leary on the other hand.....Grrrr

NeilMcD
25/07/2006, 11:57 AM
It was on the Dunphy show when he was interviewed. Its probably on You "tube ifyou going looking for it. Dunphy was asking Keane about Cascarino and what he had said about the relationship between Keane and Mc Carthy and allaged "where is your first touch" remark.

Keane just said never believe word that comes from that mans mouth, seriously"..

Cascarino is very good at tips for betting I think.

Irish Pride
25/07/2006, 1:07 PM
I wouldnt listen to anything Cascarino says........He is a muppet. What has he done as a manager, nothing! When did he work under o'leary......never. But he says we have seen he for what he truely is.That was a terrible piece of jouralisim. he always makes it personal. Someone should tell cascarino Jealousy will get you no where.

geysir
25/07/2006, 1:30 PM
It was on the Dunphy show when he was interviewed. Its probably on You "tube ifyou going looking for it. Dunphy was asking Keane about Cascarino and what he had said about the relationship between Keane and Mc Carthy and allaged "where is your first touch" remark.

Keane just said never believe word that comes from that mans mouth, seriously"..
I remember that bit, though I have a different take on it, Keane wasn't speaking disparagingly about Cascarino, just a bit of interview banter.
Whatever Cascarino says about O'Leary fits the (media exposed) impression I have of him. Eoin Hand marked his card a long time ago.

OwlsFan
25/07/2006, 8:13 PM
Cascarino does not like O Leary so would not take it as objective journalism if that is possible anyway. What did Roy Keane say about Cascarino, " Never trust a word that comes from that mans mouth"

If Roy says it, it must be true :rolleyes:

You'll seldom encounter "objective" journalism if by that you mean a journalist who doesn't have an opinion one way or the other.

As for IrishPride calling Cascarino a muppet, what is the definition of a muppet? He is a good writer (even the snobby Daily Telegraph hired him for a couple of years and he wrote some good stuff) and he's also a good pundit. Predicted Klosse as the top scorer in the WC. Gave his all whenever he played for Ireland and scored some important goals. His cockney accent might jar a bit but I wouldn't hold that against him.

LeixlipRed
25/07/2006, 11:50 PM
Cas sums up everything I've believed for many years about David O'Leary. That story about George Graham and his house just sounds so perfectly O' Leary. all that "They're only young lads" **** when your talking about players who are 18 or 29 is just a load of bolox. O' Leary is a con artist. And hopefully his next stop will be managing a League 1 team if any team at all

FarBeag
26/07/2006, 12:09 AM
The pot calling the kettle black. Does Cas even know the definition of sincerity? They are both as corrupt as one another.

deadman
26/07/2006, 1:03 AM
That was a terrible piece of jouralisim. he always makes it personal. Someone should tell cascarino Jealousy will get you no where.

what's the point of getting a ex-pro to write for your newspaper if he doesn't draw on his own experiences ????? ok, he might seem self-obsessed at times but he's able to give us an angle (accurate or not) that no 'journalist' (i.e. the professional writer types) ever could. thought it was fascinating ... and ballsy

with the ex-pro fraternity ... i'm sure it was a difficult decision to write what he wrote about o'leary. if not for o'leary's reaction but for the reaction of those in between.

theworm2345
26/07/2006, 3:20 AM
It really ****ed me off when two of the instrumental (coincendentally both subs) parts of the biggest thing to ever happen in Irish football have a row. I dont know why

geysir
26/07/2006, 7:41 AM
What row are you talking about?

Whatever negative feelings anybody had against O'Leary were temporarily suspended at that penalty shootout until the post match interview.

RogerMilla
26/07/2006, 8:34 AM
i'm with big cas on this , he writes good pieces for the times , his book was top notch ( i know kimmage wrote it but the stories were cas) and unlike o'leary he is prepared to take the blame for his mistakes and shortcomings

Lionel Ritchie
26/07/2006, 9:08 AM
I wouldn't trust "Cas" any further than I could throw the 19 stone fcukwit.

Talking to a well- respected journalist about him, I said: “I can’t understand why things work out for David.” He replied: “It works out for 18 months. Then the players will find out what he’s all about and turn against him.” Translation: I made the quote up myself and am apportioning it to an un-named "well respected journalist" to give it more credibility.

Where does O’Leary go now? His stock has plummeted. Stock doesn't matter jacksh1t in football. It is unique in the business world that you can be fired from a position for frittering your employers and shareholders resources and excercising poor judgment in use of same ....yet six months later you'll have another job doing exactly the same thing for someone else.

The word is out about his personality. His public comments have shown naivety and self-interest. Hold front page. "Former professional footballer shows naivety and self-interest."

Christ Cas stick to the Snap and the one armed bandits.

Plastic Paddy
26/07/2006, 9:13 AM
His cockney accent might jar a bit but I wouldn't hold that against him.

Glad to hear it, otherwise you'd think pretty poorly of several of your colleagues on foot.ie... :D

:ball: PP

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 9:38 AM
If Roy says it, it must be true :rolleyes:

You'll seldom encounter "objective" journalism if by that you mean a journalist who doesn't have an opinion one way or the other.

As for IrishPride calling Cascarino a muppet, what is the definition of a muppet? He is a good writer (even the snobby Daily Telegraph hired him for a couple of years and he wrote some good stuff) and he's also a good pundit. Predicted Klosse as the top scorer in the WC. Gave his all whenever he played for Ireland and scored some important goals. His cockney accent might jar a bit but I wouldn't hold that against him.

No it does have to be true if Roy says it but just trying to balance it up by personal comments by another ex player who played with both of them. Cascarino is not the only one that can make personal slurs against fellow professionals. Cascarino has personal digs in most of his articles and his personal dislike for O Leary has been going on long enough now and it is tiresome. Fact is that O Leary has done far more in the game than Cascarino has ever or ever will do. He had more talent in his baby toe than Cascarino and O Leary was a centre back. He won all the major honours in England as a player and also led Leeds to semi finals of Champions League. He played at the one club for a record amount of games which shows great loyalty etc. Cascarino open admits cheating on his wife and leading a double life behind his wifes back in his book. The world would be better off if there were more David O Learys rather than more Tony Cascarinos.

PaulB
26/07/2006, 9:46 AM
The world would be better off if there were more David O Learys rather than more Tony Cascarinos.

Jesus, don't know about that, wouldn't trust O'leary as far as I could throw him. Wouldn't be Cascarinos biggest fan, but O'Leary is a spoofer, and you don't hear a lot of good things been said about him in the game..

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 9:55 AM
Well O Leary did not leave a double life behind his wifes back for years.

RogerMilla
26/07/2006, 10:04 AM
what these guys get up to in their personal life is interesting but not very relevant, i concur with paul B , you dont hear many good things about o'leary as a manager . let's see how and if he resurrects his managerial career , downside is we will probably have to listen to him as a pundit for the next while !

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 10:30 AM
Cascarino is the one who brings up personal aspects in both his book and when talking about O Leary.

Lionel Ritchie
26/07/2006, 10:37 AM
what these guys get up to in their personal life is interesting but not very relevant, i concur with paul B , you dont hear many good things about o'leary as a manager . let's see how and if he resurrects his managerial career , downside is we will probably have to listen to him as a pundit for the next while !

I don't even find the personal life aspect of things interesting. If someone wants to play away fixtures that's an issue of personal morality and, I'll guess, private tragedy. That he'd trade on his transgressions in his rag of a book -even if his musings were dripping with regret, is a measure of the mans character. That's between him and his ex-wife and is absolutely none of my business.

O'leary will be managing a premiership club by halloween ...or will at very least have turned one down by then.

If he'd drop a division -I'd have him back at Leeds in a shot. ...a gig that might come available soon enough as well if things go tits up for Sheffield United in the premier and a move is made for Blackwell to replace Warnock.

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 10:57 AM
Good post there totallfootball, the only reason that I brought up Cascarinos personal life is a) he wrote about it in his book so it was public knowledge and not hearsay and b) he writes makes personal remarks about O Leary and has a personal attack on O leary as a person rather than just leaving it to his football career which incidently is far superior to Cascarinos

So if we look at this logically

O Leary had a better playing career

O Leary had a better managerial career

He has not made personal attacks against Cascarino either in books or in paper.

Cascarino also deals in a murky world of poker where he is brought to the games blindfolded and the blindfold is only taken off when the arrive and then put back on the minute the game is over. He deals in a world of total gangsters.

gustavo
26/07/2006, 11:29 AM
His public comments have shown naivety and self-interest. .
This coming from the man who is famous for not being able to write any column without working in even the most tenuous reference to himself or his past career!

RogerMilla
26/07/2006, 12:27 PM
neil, total
i like cas and i dont like o'leary and have been like that for the last 15 years and i havent read much to change my mind , seems like you guys want to shoot down cas then go for it but you can temper it with the fact that o'leary wrote "leeds on trial" that alone sets him apart as someone out to make money from other peoples misery

Lionel Ritchie
26/07/2006, 12:58 PM
seems like you guys want to shoot down cas then go for it but you can temper it with the fact that o'leary wrote "leeds on trial" that alone sets him apart as someone out to make money from other peoples misery

...I'm not going to defend the vile and indefensible 'Leeds United On Trial' -but seriously -is spilling the beans about backroom/dressing room/boardroom/courtroom incidents in O'Learys book now supposed to be worse than regailing us with tales about who you were knobbing behind the wifes back?

Has Cas kids? Does he not think his kids might pick that book up someday?

neil, total
i like cas and i dont like o'leary and have been like that for the last 15 years

I like Po and La-La, am rather indifferent to Dipsy and think Tinky-Winky is nothing short of a cnut.

RogerMilla
26/07/2006, 1:28 PM
lionel the preferences between cas and davo were picked up as a kid so definitely your telly tubby comparison rings true ,
i believe cas's son is called teddy after his mate teddy sheringham , i presume whenever he picks up the book he will think his old man was a bit of a waster and a jack the lad , look i'm not saying tony cas is the human perfection incarnate , i'm just saying i like him and enjoyed his warts and all book.
o'leary on the other hand is not my type of guy regardless of his excellent record as a player and any sympathy i have towards the fact that jack charlton exiled him.

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 1:29 PM
neil, total
i like cas and i dont like o'leary and have been like that for the last 15 years and i havent read much to change my mind , seems like you guys want to shoot down cas then go for it but you can temper it with the fact that o'leary wrote "leeds on trial" that alone sets him apart as someone out to make money from other peoples misery

O Leary has never made comments about Cascarino as far as I can see so tell me what is Cascarino so pre-occupied with having a go at O Leary time and time again. I never read Leeds on trial but I think writing about a club when you are the manager of that club is always a bid of a dodgy thing to do.

RogerMilla
26/07/2006, 1:41 PM
i agree , i am surprised cas came out with something personal like that but i suppose he needs to court the controversy to sell his column , not really defensible but now that the comments are in the public domain i see where he si coming from
as for davo he is nowhere near my all time footballing hate figure , step forward mr loius van gaal!!

Dodge
26/07/2006, 2:16 PM
Well O Leary did not leave a double life behind his wifes back for years.
He had an affair with his secretary (maybe nanny?) a few years back. Seem to remember it being big news when details of his filthy text messages were published. Be naive to think it was the first time.

Either way, O'Leary is a rubbish manager, and Cascirino is a decent journalist.

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 2:21 PM
O Leary got Leeds to Champions League semi final and did a good job with Villa for 2 years. Cascarino writes personal insults about ex team mates. Also was it proven about O leary and his affair or are you posting slanderous accusations against David O Leary. Has David O leary come out and admitted it.

Dodge
26/07/2006, 2:37 PM
Seem to remember him issuing an apology.

wws
26/07/2006, 2:50 PM
O Leary got Leeds to Champions League semi final and did a good job with Villa for 2 years. Cascarino writes personal insults about ex team mates. Also was it proven about O leary and his affair or are you posting slanderous accusations against David O Leary. Has David O leary come out and admitted it.

he got them to a cl semi final - and than bankrupted the club in the process (in fairness not his fault more the idiots who let him do it on the board)
Leeds are in oblivion ever since O Leary and his "success".

He is widely regarded as the worst Villa manager ever.

and surely you mean libelous and not slanderous accusations?

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 3:16 PM
How is he the worst Villa manager ever he did not get them relegated and they were relegated in the 80s as far as I know. Also I dont think he was a great sucess as a manager but he has done ok jobs for the first few years but then things seem to go wrong for him. He is no angel and I am not fan of O learys. However if I was to criticise O Leary it woudl be on his managerial record. However Cascarino seems to want to have a go at O Leary the man every time. Thats fair enough but Cascarinos personality does not stand up to this scrutiny either. That is the point I will make.

Cascarino is a worst journalist that O Leary is a manager. Cascarino has never managed and he was not much of a player. In fact I would say O Leary beats Cascarino on every level

Player
Manager
Journalist
and as a person

If the correst term is libelous fair enough I stand corrected.

NeilMcD
26/07/2006, 3:44 PM
I think they should have a wrestling tag team match between Mc Carthy/Cascarino and O Leary/Keane. Money could go to charity.

theworm2345
26/07/2006, 6:04 PM
I think they should have a wrestling tag team match between Mc Carthy/Cascarino and O Leary/Keane. Money could go to charity.
How about "Big" Jack Charlton vs Eamon Dunphy also Roy Keane and a few beers vs Niall "The Creep" Quinn/Jason "Trigger" McAteer/"Mick "*****" McCarthy/Stephen "Stan" Staunton, with Tony Cascarino vs David O'Leary as the main event I would pay alot of money for that (Big Jack would kick Dunphy's ass, for sure)
(see they even all have aliases :))

OwlsFan
27/07/2006, 3:08 PM
No alias for Keane ? I could give him a few.

Why is Quinn a "creep" ? Seems a nice guy to me who donated his testimonial money to charity - perhaps that's the definition of a "creep".

NeilMcD
27/07/2006, 3:12 PM
I think many people feel that Quinn is a creep as he tries to be nice to every person he meets and as a result comes across as too nice and not a man of principle. I think him shaking Keanes hand after he was sent off would support this. I think some people just find him over the top sometimes in his I love everybody sort of buzz.

I would say nearly all of them mentioned have given serious money to charity probably no more than Quinn and Keane.

theworm2345
27/07/2006, 3:43 PM

Why is Quinn a "creep" ? Seems a nice guy to me who donated his testimonial money to charity - perhaps that's the definition of a "creep".
I dont think he is a creep at all, Eamon Dunphy called him a creep in his drunken rant a few months ago when Keane left United, have you never seen that video?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6238632019167115546&q=Eamon+Dunphy
Keane's is too hard, it could be anywhere form "Saint" to "****er"...Though I suppose the same could go for Quinn.

Oh yes, and for the record, there is no Irish player in history I havent liked (or I think is a creep, though Dunphy might fit there). I even like Eamon Dunphy, he makes me laugh so much, at least hes worth something. Perhaps that makes me a creep

OwlsFan
27/07/2006, 3:47 PM
I think he lead the way though in that regard.

The hand shaking thing with Keane - well you can imagine my feelings on that but unless his "Mr Nice Guy" is an act, I don't think being nice to people deserves the pejorative word "creep".

As for Cascarino being a philanderer, I didn't realise this ruled out someone from being a good journalist and quite frankly I would be surprised if most footballers at the top level, having regard to the lifestyle they lead, don't engage is some extra marital activity. I have it on good authority that when an English Premiership team toured here a few years ago there was a lot of hanky panky and from one player in particular you would not except such carry on - the libel laws prevent me from going further. Do you think being unfaithful is a major failing in a man ? If so you've led a very sheltered life !

As for totalfootball calling him English - we have been down that road before and I don't have the energy or time to go in to comments like that.

NeilMcD
27/07/2006, 4:22 PM
Owls fan you have missed the point here. Cascarino introduced the subject of whether someone was nice and tellling personal stories about O Leary. He did not concentrate on O Leary the manager but looked into O leary the man. So if he wants to go down that road fair enough, but I think it rules him out of been a good journalist. Also it then opens him up to criticism from me and others that he is not such a nice man himself, as I have spelt out in previous posts.

NeilMcD
27/07/2006, 4:29 PM
=

As for Cascarino being a philanderer, I didn't realise this ruled out someone from being a good journalist and quite frankly I would be surprised if most footballers at the top level, having regard to the lifestyle they lead, don't engage is some extra marital activity. I have it on good authority that when an English Premiership team toured here a few years ago there was a lot of hanky panky and from one player in particular you would not except such carry on - the libel laws prevent me from going further. Do you think being unfaithful is a major failing in a man ? If so you've led a very sheltered life !

I think been unfaithful is nicely putting it. He led a double life for a few years as he has said himself. He also admits to gambling in circumstances that can only be described as Soprano esque. He is clearly not a nice man who is involved in low life behaviour in my view. Just cause he scores a few goals for Ireland does not mean he is not a nice man. Niall Quinn Roy Keane and David O Leary are gentlemen compared to this guy. Of course in footballing terms none of this is relevant but in the context of Cascarino's articles when he often refers to the personality of ther person they are talking about and their lifestyle it is very relevant to Cascarino the journalist.

He is trying to make a living out of other people achievments and failures because he does not have the talen or intelligence ever to become a football manager or coach.

jockser
27/07/2006, 7:00 PM

It would HAVE to be "The bottler" :cool:

geysir
27/07/2006, 9:43 PM
It appears there are people all around the world trying to discredit the good name of Tony Cascarino.
http://www.cascarino.homestead.com/pressrelease.html

Emmet
01/08/2006, 10:57 AM
Cascarino's piece was entirely about O'Leary's managerial abilities - he drew on examples of specific incidents to illustrate the point that O'Leary's narcissistic tendencies alienated him from his players and from the club's fans which impeded his management of the club enormously.

The questions of O'Leary being a good player in his day or of Cascarino being a not-so-good player and habitually cheating on his wife in the process are completely irrelevent to the initial point ... which is that O'Leary - as a manager - is crap.

And, quite frankly, he is.

NeilMcD
01/08/2006, 11:00 AM
Cascarino is a crap journalist, manager, player and person.

NY Hoop
01/08/2006, 11:54 AM
Cascarino is a crap journalist, manager, player and person.

Obviously you've never met the man. That's just your opinion. You dont like him. Move on.

KOH