PDA

View Full Version : Killester awarded Dublin City tie

soccerc
24/07/2006, 3:36 PM
Following the departure of Dublin City from the eircom League and all other domestic competitions the Football Association of Ireland's Domestic Committee have decided that Killester United have been awarded the 3rd round tie of the FAI Carlsberg Senior Challenge Cup and will progress to the Quarter Final draw at the end of August.

Dodge
24/07/2006, 3:52 PM
Poor Monaghan...

BohsFans
24/07/2006, 3:53 PM
Poor Monaghan...

the homeless are gonna be delighted.

micls
24/07/2006, 3:57 PM
Why werent DC's results in this expunged like the league ones??

Hard luck on Monaghan

Schumi
24/07/2006, 4:07 PM
Strange decision, doesn't seem consistant with the stance taken for league games.

KildareFan
24/07/2006, 4:29 PM
i think it's the right decision.

Monaghan were beaten fairly and squarely in a cup competition. To let a side back into the cup after they had been fairly knocked out would have been madenss imho

mypost
24/07/2006, 4:36 PM
doesn't seem consistant with the stance taken for league games.

FAI hypocrites.

What's the deal with their League Cup wins?

pete
24/07/2006, 4:50 PM
I think Monaghan should have been allowed back in Dublin Citys place as effectively Dublin City were removed from the competition. It would be similar to Denmark taking the place of Yugoslavia in the 1992 European Championships.

Its stupid to give a team a bye into the 1/4 finals.

Consistency me arse. :rolleyes:

Réiteoir
24/07/2006, 4:51 PM
Strange decision, doesn't seem consistant with the stance taken for league games.
not really - it's usual in this situation for their opponents in the next round (or the drawn active round) to be awarded a Walkover

This season's FA Cup sees two such instances:

Match 89 - North Leigh v AFC Newbury
(walkover for North Leigh – AFC Newbury removed)

Match 90 - Henley Town v Epsom & Ewell
(walkover for Epsom & Ewell – Henley Town removed)

And going back a few years:
Queen's Park v Vale of Leven (walkover)
Queen's Park awarded Cup after Vale of Leven failed to appear

Réiteoir
24/07/2006, 4:53 PM
FAI hypocrites.

FAI have nothing to do with the League situation - The League and Cup Competitions are administered by two different bodies.

micls
24/07/2006, 4:54 PM
Monaghan were beaten fairly and squarely in a cup competition. To let a side back into the cup after they had been fairly knocked out would have been madenss imho

Derry were beaten fairly and squarely in a league game.

Again no consistency

Réiteoir
24/07/2006, 4:58 PM

Again no consistency

FAI have nothing to do with the League situation - The League and Cup Competitions are administered by two different bodies.

It's like saying that the Premiership Board of Control has powers to award games in the Nationwide Conference Cup

Speranza
24/07/2006, 7:51 PM

Again no consistency

Beaten fairly and squarly by a club with a team they should not have been able to assemble. Get over it as people explaining this to confused Cork fans is making you all seem foolish.

monutdfc
24/07/2006, 8:04 PM
Beaten fairly and squarly by a club with a team they should not have been able to assemble.
I'd agree with that, and by the same logic we should still be in the Cup.

The decision taken with regard to league points was the correct one imo. Some teams played DC at home, some played them away in the first round of games.

However, I am prepared to accept the FAI decision graciously. As far as I am concerned, we were out of the Cup, then there was a glimmer of hope, now we're out of it again. Rightly or wrongly, the decision has been made.

Clones Road Cas
24/07/2006, 9:37 PM
No gripe with Killester, I would wish them the best in the competition and hope that they can go on to have a real crack at it in the quarters, but in the light of the league decision this is rediculous.

AFAIU Dub City have withdrawn from the league and in doing so have also resigned their position within the Association, therefore there is a cross over. Not to mention the even more valid argument about beating us with a squad which was effectively assembled due to living way beyond means.

Feck it, its not like we're not used to being out in the early rounds, but there is no consistancy yet again from the FAI on this.

bohs til i die
25/07/2006, 7:42 AM
Speranza & Clones Road Cas

bohs til i die
25/07/2006, 7:49 AM
Speranza & Clones Road Cas

Just a few points

1. Most clubs in the league have assembled squads they cannot afford. Its only a few short years since Derry were up **** creek as a result of years of overspending. We cannot decide football matches on who overspends on the squad the least. Its up to the FAI to implement licensing properly so this doesnt happen. Some clubs are cash poor but asset rich so will get away with it.

2. What would have happened if DCFC had lost to Killester, then went out of business? Should that be forgotten as well and Killester then had to play Monaghan? Or what if DCFC got to the FAI Cup semi finals before getting knocked out, then folding? Should the whole competition start again?

The FAI made a decion on the competition they run [FAI Cup]. The eircom league [a separate body] made a decision on the competition they run [eircom league], and they made this decesion with some justification based on a precedent in England in the early 90's.

bohs til i die
25/07/2006, 7:50 AM
I think Monaghan should have been allowed back in Dublin Citys place as effectively Dublin City were removed from the competition. It would be similar to Denmark taking the place of Yugoslavia in the 1992 European Championships.

Its stupid to give a team a bye into the 1/4 finals.

there is no similarities at all. Denmark got admitted to a competition that had yet to start.

Magicme
25/07/2006, 7:59 AM
I am totally raging....yes we were knocked out after forcing City to a replay and bringing the game into extra time where finally City's superior fitness put the nail in our coffin...yes we are used to getting knocked out early...yes many teams are fielding players they cant afford...all of that aside, we deserved to be back in for the simple reason that the game between City and Killester hadnt been played yet and by not letting us in that is the equivilent of giving all teams in the Premier Division imaginary points for the games they have yet to play against the now non-existent DC. Feck sake.

I cant believe that this decision could be considered the right one. I for one am fupin angry.

ColinR
25/07/2006, 8:05 AM
the decision is in line with pretty much every other cup that is played in the country from junior levels up. if a club goes out of existence, it always seems to be the team gets a bye in the next round. wether there are specific rules in place, i don't know, but it is the most sensible decision imo. once you have been knocked out fairly in a cup, then you should be out, no matter what happens later on.

however, i wonder if the decision would have been different if it involved a bigger club?

Magicme
25/07/2006, 8:20 AM
however, i wonder if the decision would have been different if it involved a bigger club?

Aw here Colin....dont be feeding my paranoia!

BohsPartisan
25/07/2006, 2:10 PM
Well if it was Shels at the very least Ollie would have his solicitor on the case.

Magicme
26/07/2006, 9:42 AM
Well if it was Shels at the very least Ollie would have his solicitor on the case.

Law costs money....not sure if we are looking at it legally or just accepting defeat.

sligoman
26/07/2006, 12:42 PM
Well done FAI, for once you make a good decision!

passerrby
26/07/2006, 6:28 PM

while i agree with the outcome lets get one thing understood all dicisions are made by the FAI they just use the other bodies as flags of convenience.

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 12:11 PM
I suppose the issue with the cup is that if you allow Monaghan to re-enter the FAI Cup, do you allow Kildare to play Shels in the League Cup Second Round? Could get very messy then...

sligoman
30/07/2006, 1:15 PM
I suppose the issue with the cup is that if you allow Monaghan to re-enter the FAI Cup, do you allow Kildare to play Shels in the League Cup Second Round? Could get very messy then...I said that (http://www.foot.ie/showpost.php?p=503410&postcount=13) a while back.