PDA

View Full Version : Three month break in live eL games

David
24/07/2006, 2:27 PM
For a three month break in live Eircom league games. Really enjoy watching the games and was wondering if there was any particular reason for such a long period without a live game.

SÓC
24/07/2006, 2:29 PM
For a three month break in live Eircom league games. Really enjoy watching the games and was wondering if there was any particular reason for such a long period without a live game.

Six reasons actually

G. A. A.

R. T. É.

;)

David
24/07/2006, 2:35 PM
Six reasons actually

G. A. A.

R. T. É.

;)

You should be thankful for what you have, I wish we had a quarter of it.

Jerry The Saint
24/07/2006, 2:48 PM
Six reasons actually

G. A. A.

R. T. É.

;)

Yep. Of course it also fits in nicely with the way the league is run - start the season; shut down everything competely for a while; start again when everyone is watching the World Cup/GAA; cancel a load of games; fixture congestion in October/November as everyone has to get their refixed games completed by the last day of the season.

The same dealy applies to the cup - play one round; hold the draw a month later; play the next round a month after that.

wws
24/07/2006, 3:44 PM
yes but think of the boost in esteemm we all experience when Cork City compete in the world's premier club competition and defeat a team from Cyprus*

*copyright CSSASISSCREBELARMY

Red&White
24/07/2006, 7:02 PM
I'm sorry, you're talking about FAI organization sensibly. What kind of league would be be if people thought like that all the time? Now, start being nonsensicall, illogical, and archaic at once, at stop all this silliness over common sense.

Red4Eva
24/07/2006, 8:05 PM
there's a lot of big games on in the next 4 weeks, awful shame none of em are on tv

RonnieB
24/07/2006, 8:48 PM
Is there many other leagues in the world where there is so little media coverage? I say this as im watching footie from Oman on Arabsat :)

nshoop
24/07/2006, 9:53 PM
Irish league has just about less,thats it I reckon!

el punter
24/07/2006, 10:02 PM
Blaming the GAA is just pure ridiculous. You don't have to like them, but they have no accountability for the broadcast schedules of television channels.

David
25/07/2006, 7:25 AM
Irish league has just about less,thats it I reckon!

Irish league has a lot less. We do not even have a highlights programme, never mind live matches. There are two live games a season, the CIS Cup Final and the Irish Cup final. Other than that we have to be happy with goals on news bulletins etc.

Jerry The Saint
25/07/2006, 9:11 AM
Blaming the GAA is just pure ridiculous.

Absolutely, I'd be inclined to blame the organisation that thought they'd get increased media coverage by scheduling their season to run alongside the GAA championship. (Sorry, I'm being amateur again...:o )

BohDiddley
25/07/2006, 10:32 AM
Blaming the GAA is just pure ridiculous. You don't have to like them, but they have no accountability for the broadcast schedules of television channels.
Are you saying that the GAA has no influence on sports schedules?
Do you think that if Irish football had one tenth of the airtime that GAA has, that the GAA and GAA-loving broadcasters would be happy with that?

Wiseguy
25/07/2006, 10:38 AM
If the EL was run half aswell as the GAA it would be a huge improvement.The GAA have the right people in the right places and know how to run the game right unlike the idiots the run the EL.

BohDiddley
25/07/2006, 12:21 PM
Ah the old legendary GAA blazers again. Do you think it's that simple?
I'm sure how the national league and the FAI are run has something to do with it. But it isn't either/or.

Dodge
25/07/2006, 12:46 PM
Its not the GAA's fault per se, its the fact that a huge amount of resources/time deployed by RTE/Setanta and TG4 is used up by them.

LFC in Exile
25/07/2006, 1:23 PM
If the EL was run half aswell as the GAA it would be a huge improvement.The GAA have the right people in the right places and know how to run the game right unlike the idiots the run the EL.

Really? They look like a shower of clowns to me. There seems to be a shambles every week - between being able to count to 5 or putting big matches in small grounds or having absolutely no discipline or ability to impose rules on the pitch.

Not saying the FAI are much better but every fan of every sport thinks the administrators of their sport are useless - bu the grass is not always greener....:ball:

pete
25/07/2006, 2:33 PM
Its not the GAA's fault per se, its the fact that a huge amount of resources/time deployed by RTE/Setanta and TG4 is used up by them.

The entire media obcessed with the GAA. RTE have wall to wall weekend coverage (includes some very average games) & Setanta have wall to wall week day repeats (does anyone watch them?).

el punter
25/07/2006, 7:20 PM
Are you saying that the GAA has no influence on sports schedules? Do you think that if Irish football had one tenth of the airtime that GAA has, that the GAA and GAA-loving broadcasters would be happy with that?

I dont believe there's anything under-handed at play like you appear to be suggesting.

The GAA are selling a competing 'product'. They are the market leaders in this patch.

They sell Coca-Cola, we sell Yellow Pack Cola. Public demand dictates that the media are obsessed with GAA.

Broadcasters presumably are happy with whatever is broadcast as long as it is watched by enough people.

Anyway its like comparing spaceships and roller-skates; when the League of Ireland can get 82,000 going to one game and plenty more scrambling for tickets then we can do some comparisons.

There's a lot of people and organizations can be blamed for the poor (but improving) coverage of our league but I wouldn't think pointing the finger at the GAA is terribly relevant.

It's the same old problems all the times in different threads, that all point to the same solution...MARKET THE LEAGUE/GAMES/PLAYERS/CLUBS PROPERLY!

BohDiddley
25/07/2006, 8:23 PM
I'm not suggesting anything underhand. The GAA is too powerful and secure as the established media and spectator (if not participation) sport in this country to need to be underhand. They are the power in the land, and have church, state and now, just as importantly, business, behind them. They are politicians. Apart from the diminishing bit of leverage that the FAI can wield when it comes to the Boys in Green, football, and eL in particular, is run by fans.
To illustrate (but not, I hope, to veer off topic) there's nothing underhand about the GAA's attempt to grap Tallaght and/or frustrate a national league club from gaining a foothold there. They're just flexing their muscle, and that is what they would do if they thought their dominance of the airways were threatened.

el punter
25/07/2006, 8:35 PM
I take your point BohDiddley, the GAA is an influential force in the country by virtue that such a large number of our population are members of the organisation.

Let it not be forgotten the the League of Ireland once boasted attendance figures on a par with GAA. They have progressed, we have regressed.

There is a serious amount of Irish rugby broadcast by RTE and Setanta throughout the year. I expect the GAA would be equally 'concerned' about this as they would about League of Ireland broadcasts. The difference however is all in the viewing figures I expect.

This league - like all minority sporting organizations* - must do something extraordinary to be recognized and continously featured in the mainstream media.

* I'm not suggesting football is a minority sport, but League of Ireland football is.