PDA

View Full Version : First Division

KildareFan
24/07/2006, 10:26 AM
The first division is so tight at the moment!!

Just 2 points seperating the top 5.

Limerick have been in a dreadful run of form lately and while you keep expecting Rovers to pull away, they just don't seem to be able to put together a run of wins.

Cobh and Galway have had good patches during the season but they both seem a bit inconsistent.

Dundalk could be the one to watch. They have lost 8 games but are still only two points off the lead and they have bought well during the transfer windown with Cotsy and Robbie Dunne signing.

Another team who have done during July are Kildare. Superb win over limerick on Friday on and the signings of Philly Gorman, Trevor Bowers and Alan McDermott seem to have given the whole team a boost. Watch out for Stephen Cooling too, i heard his first goal on Friday was a cracker and he has easily been Kildare's best player this season.

Just wondering what other people's thoughts on the league were

Mr A
24/07/2006, 10:42 AM
Totally mad division this year. Even Kildare in 3rd last are only 7 points off top. To be honest I suspect Galway United may be the team that takes the initiative, but really it's anyone's guess.

Teams are going fro flying to semi crisis and vice versa in a matter of weeks- and if nothing else it keeps it interesting for almost everyone!

Terry
24/07/2006, 10:51 AM
Never seen such an open race before, goes to show that everyone wants to be in the top 2 or 3 come the end of the season and hope to get into the super duper league next season. Galway now play limerick (h) and Rovers (a) which will make Galways route more clearer on where they will be ending up this season. Going on current form and squad size, I would guess IMO that its now down to Rovers, Galway, Cobh and Dundalk to break off and go for it.

Conor H
24/07/2006, 12:26 PM
It's between Galway,Rovers and Dundalk IMO.
The likes of Cobh and Athlone and to a lesser extent Harps will cause problems for teams but they aren't major threats.It will be alot clearer after the next 2 weeks how the season will pan out.Utd,Limerick,Rovers,Athlone,Dundalk and Kildare all have to play each other.
Rovers have yet to beat any GUFC,Limerick(haven't played at home but lost away) or Cobh at home.

Come on UTD!

Ash
24/07/2006, 12:40 PM
Well, we're in 6th place and only 5 points off top.

And of the 5 teams above us we've beaten Galway,Limerick and
Dundalk and we still have a game in hand on Dundalk and Cobh.

Battery Rover
24/07/2006, 1:48 PM
It's between Galway,Rovers and Dundalk IMO.

Its amazing three wins in a row two of them against the two poorest teams in the division and all of a sudden ye have gone from giving out about the team to being one of three teams that will win the championship in your opinion

I think you named the three that are under most pressure to win and that might tell in the run in. As for ourselves anywhere top 5 is a building block for us so we dont have any pressure.

As Ash said we have beaten Limerick, Dundalk twice and a win and a draw against yourselves in the league. Any of the top 6 or 7 in this division that can go on a run of 6 or 7 wins will be champions. It is p*ss p*oor down here and every game is 50/50.

placid casual
24/07/2006, 2:00 PM
having been to the rovers/dundalk game yesterday i can certainly agree that the standard in this league is absolutley melodjan.
dundalk played well yesterday and actually looked the better team IMHO.

anyone of the top 4 -5 teams could win the league but will it matter??
since there seems to be no promotion who will go up regardless?

dcfcsteve
24/07/2006, 2:09 PM
Great to see the First Division being so competitive. Makes a change form one or 2 clear leaders, and everyone else fighting for the scraps.

To be fair, the Premier is just as tight - 3pts separating Top 4 teams : 6 points between the Top 5.

Great to see Irish football being so competitive at the moment. Much more fun than wondering which side of Easter Chelsea will have wrapped up that bore of an English league....

Battery Rover
24/07/2006, 2:20 PM
anyone of the top 4 -5 teams could win the league but will it matter??

It wont matter to us. Even if we did the league and cup double still wont get out of here through the points system. Hence no pressure on us.

Mr A
24/07/2006, 2:37 PM
Not only is the first division interesting in that it's close, but as Battery Rover mentions there's an interesting sub-plot in the promotion criteria.

From looking at these Shamrock Rovers appear guarenteed to go up if they finish anywhere in the top places (depending on their move somewhat as well I guess.) It's going to be very hard for Limerick, Athlone or to some extent Cobh and Dundalk to get up due to their 4 year record and the likes of Bray must be willing these guys on to finish higher than the likes of Harps and Galway who have a chance of going up if they can finish near the top.

The demise of Dublin City makes things even more complex- we'll have to assume the premier will still be 12 and a new team sought for the first either next year or the year after (provided no-one goes belly up in the meantime of course). Galway are handicapped somewhat by their dire performance in cup competitions and 4 year record so I think they have to finish top 2 at least to get up.

Sligo would have been one of the current premier sides seen as vulnerable- but their performance this season is likely to mean they're safe. Waterford are probably safe- but the exit of Dublin City puts the first division clubs that little bit closer to them in the four year ratings.

One point is what the story with the playoff now is- it seems logical to me that as a team have gone that the 2nd place D1 team simply ranks higher than the last place premier team- but maybe a playoff will still take place.

It's going to be a weird climax to the season for the teams with hopes of getting/staying up this year with no one knowing quite what they have to do to make it.

DvB
24/07/2006, 2:49 PM
Personally i think the FAI already know the 12 teams they'll be putting in the Premiereire Liga next season & have little faith that ANYTHING that happens this season on the pitch will affect it (their method of calculation) enough to change those 12 teams.

As for the first division, the standard is shocking IMO, if any side can put a run of 4 or 5 wins together it would be enough to break away & leave the rest for dead, consistencey in a division gone mad if you will! I still believe that team will be Rovers but by god it doesnt make the viewing each week any prettier!!

Koh

Jerry The Saint
24/07/2006, 2:53 PM
It would be exciting if it meant something. :(

Schumi
24/07/2006, 3:21 PM
Personally i think the FAI already know the 12 teams they'll be putting in the Premiereire Liga next season & have little faith that ANYTHING that happens this season on the pitch will affect it (their method of calculation) enough to change those 12 teams.
Spot on IMO. Rovers & Galway will replace us even if they finish bottom 2.

manic da hoop
24/07/2006, 3:33 PM
Spot on IMO. Rovers & Galway will replace us even if they finish bottom 2.

Are you that certain that you won't be featuring in the 'I' League ;) next season?

With regard to this year's First Division title race - well let's just say that the word 'compeditive' is a nice way to say that there just isn't one team among us capable of taking this rubbish league by the scruff of the neck and pull itself away from the chasing pack. :mad:

Schumi
24/07/2006, 4:05 PM
Are you that certain that you won't be featuring in the 'I' League ;) next season?
Yes, bar 5 or 6 more clubs going bust. So still some chance I suppose. ;)

JC_GUFC
24/07/2006, 4:55 PM
It's pretty incredible how close it is - I think Rovers and United are in best shape by avoiding defeats - when we play badly we draw, whereas the other all lose too many games.

Yesterday's first half was pretty awful with both teams giving away possession way too easily. Rovers don't commit many players forward and it's easy to see why they've only conceded 5 goals all season!

Anyone interested in a bet - updated prices are here

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&ev_class_id=&id=818&category=SOCCER&selectvcgrp=1762&disp_cat_id=

1 9 2 8
24/07/2006, 5:45 PM
With the league so tight this year you would expect the crowds to be a lot better then they are.

hoopy
24/07/2006, 6:03 PM
I've seen better Rovers reserve teams yet were still top. Doesn't say a lot for the league

nshoop
24/07/2006, 6:56 PM
THe standard in the division is shocking and how can ucd be left out next season?They have been in the premier for years and have done well and the belfield bowl looks set to be done up,and money isn't a problem.Rovers and galway will go up I reckon!

Red&White
24/07/2006, 7:05 PM
Agreed, can't see a league without UCD next season.

Roverstillidie
24/07/2006, 7:31 PM
With the league so tight this year you would expect the crowds to be a lot better then they are.

ours are resonable and we are bringing the locals out everywhere we play.

holidaysong
24/07/2006, 7:40 PM
ours are resonable and we are bringing the locals out everywhere we play.

In fairness, I thought there would be far more Rovers fans at the game yesterday.

We are a transformed team from the one at the start of the season. I am very confident indeed.

Roverstillidie
24/07/2006, 7:45 PM
In fairness, I thought there would be far more Rovers fans at the game yesterday.

We are a transformed team from the one at the start of the season. I am very confident indeed.

1,200 of us, 200 of you. same as when we met in the prem last.....

holidaysong
24/07/2006, 8:04 PM
1,200 of us, 200 of you. same as when we met in the prem last.....

I guess I was just expecting about the same amount that was at the first match of the season. There must have been over 2,000 at that was there?

Roverstillidie
24/07/2006, 8:06 PM
I guess I was just expecting about the same amount that was at the first match of the season. There must have been over 2,000 at that was there?

was the biggest crowd in dublin that weekend as i recall. ;)

holidaysong
24/07/2006, 8:11 PM
was the biggest crowd in dublin that weekend as i recall. ;)

It was the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed in a First Division match. The result kind of spoilt things however! :mad:
See you in Oriel! :cool:

Paddyfield
24/07/2006, 9:46 PM
Its amazing three wins in a row two of them against the two poorest teams in the division and all of a sudden ye have gone from giving out about the team to being one of three teams that will win the championship in your opinion .

The jury is still out Battery Rover on Galway United. I suspect that De Town are due a good run too.

GUFC beat all of the top contenders too including Sham Rovers and Limerick. Our next two games are against Limerick and Rovers so we will have a clearer picture then!

I'd love it if both ATFC and GUFC went up!

Terry
25/07/2006, 7:30 AM
If Monaghan are a poor outfit, what was there last 2 results before the match against Galway? :)

Battery Rover
25/07/2006, 7:40 AM
If Monaghan are a poor outfit, what was there last 2 results before the match against Galway?

I left myself open for that one:D

We played that bad even Mick McCann scored against us:o :o

Terry
25/07/2006, 7:42 AM
Goes to show that Lavine does make a difference for ye, missing that match, to return the following weekend and beating Limerick !!!!

Battery Rover
25/07/2006, 7:48 AM
Agreed he makes a big difference. Great at holding he ball up for people to run through but a loose cannon as you all know. He is suspended for the match against Cobh on the 5th of August as well. We need another one up front that can hold the ball as well.

Our Tuesday matches havent been going well for us. Lost 1-0 to Kildare, 4-0 to Monaghan and I think we have to play monaghan on a Tueday again. Theres 3 points for you magicme.

Magicme
25/07/2006, 8:02 AM
Hey but I am out of hospital so they will probably lose! When I am in hospital the lads seem to play better....me being at the games must distract them! :eek: :D

Passive
25/07/2006, 11:27 AM
Saying the first division is "tight" is a bit like when GAA people describe the latest outbreak of violence at Croke Park as "exciting" - it merely hides the fact that the standard of play is appalling.

The Rovers v Dundalk game on Sunday was probably the worst game of football I have ever seen in my life, and I include UCD Superleague games in that.

That Dundalk are considered title contenders says a lot. A team of overweight kickers who have lost something like 8 games and they are still in with a shout.

I reckon it's between Rovers and Galway, but, as has been said, I think winning this division is purely about pride. Both teams will probably go up regardless.

Sniffer
25/07/2006, 6:59 PM
The Rovers v Dundalk game on Sunday was probably the worst game of football I have ever seen in my life, and I include UCD Superleague games in that.

You my man have led a charmed life!

sligoman
25/07/2006, 8:56 PM
Think Shams or Limerick will finish in the top 2, then Dundalk, Cobh and Athlone to fight for the next three spots.

JC_GUFC
25/07/2006, 10:06 PM
Think Shams or Limerick will finish in the top 2, then Dundalk, Cobh and Athlone to fight for the next three spots.

And United to finish sixth yeah?! Ha ha you've got to love these sligo muppets! :D

Can't wait til we're in the Premier next season and get to thump you again! :p

Conor H
25/07/2006, 10:27 PM

Believe it or not Sligoman i won't fall for the bate.
pathetic!

nshoop
25/07/2006, 10:33 PM
Believe it or not Sligoman i won't fall for the bate.
pathetic!

They get promoted and win a few games and they get all cocky and condescending,you can rest in the knowledge that you'll beat them in the premier next season and we'll beat the both of yous:D

koh

4tothefloor
25/07/2006, 11:27 PM
Great to see Irish football being so competitive at the moment. Much more fun than wondering which side of Easter Chelsea will have wrapped up that bore of an English league....
Ha ha ha! Don't compare the premiership to the EL first division. Much more fun? You obviously don't go to many first division games. It is absolutely ABYSMAL stuff. In fact there isn't a superlative to describe how bad and boring it actually is. It's that bad, seriously. I should know, I'm a sucker for it most weeks......

nshoop
25/07/2006, 11:29 PM
Ha ha ha! Don't compare the premiership to the EL first division. Much more fun? You obviously don't go to many first division games. It is absolutely ABYSMAL stuff. In fact there isn't a superlative to describe how bad and boring it actually is. It's that bad, seriously. I should know, I'm a sucker for it most weeks......

It's true,it beggars belief!

Red4Eva
26/07/2006, 3:37 PM
Graveyard:
1.shams
2.limerick

i'm gonna stick wit my pre season prediction but galway have their chance on friday&if they win that i'd say they could push shams close but shams will defo win it. hard to call how good any of the teams are cos they're all so inconsistent. wouldn't rule out harps yet