PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie Logo

dahamsta
24/07/2006, 12:30 AM
Some samples from a design guy I'm working with. I'll hold off on my own thoughts until I've heard yours. (There are no fixed plans to change anything yet, we're just playing around a little.)

adam

adamcarr
24/07/2006, 1:44 AM
I like the first set. Definately keep the small 'f'.

Dodge
24/07/2006, 1:54 AM
Yep, prefer the lowercase 'f'

Pauro 76
24/07/2006, 8:10 AM
nice! prefer the bottom one, keep the colour scheme the same i reckon? whats the typeface? as a mac operator, reckon its Officina, could be wrong though....

eamoss
24/07/2006, 9:59 AM
Yeah I think the same lowercase 'f' looks better!

Aberdonian Stu
24/07/2006, 10:00 AM
Not crazy about either.

drinkfeckarse
24/07/2006, 10:50 AM
Lower case and either of the bottom two. Don't like the green football for the "dot".

Block G Raptor
24/07/2006, 11:23 AM
Not crazy about either.
Agreed
If it ain't broke dont fix it. Original logo is way better than any of the ones above

Raheny Red
24/07/2006, 11:48 AM
3rd option in the first set ;)

The Stars
24/07/2006, 12:50 PM
whats the typeface? as a mac operator, reckon its Officina, could be wrong though....
looks a bit like Officina,but footballs a funny old game;)

Pauro 76
24/07/2006, 12:57 PM
looks a bit like Officina,but footballs a funny old game;)

I'm wrong....so whats the typeface, its been bugging me all morning? Sorry Im a mac geek...

monkey magic
24/07/2006, 1:33 PM
like the first set, preferably the last one, keep the green background - too many message boards nowdays are just in plain white and i think it makes them boreing and more difficult to read

dahamsta
24/07/2006, 7:46 PM
Another set, in response to feedback. PAURO 7, the font is Meta Bold.

A face
24/07/2006, 10:07 PM
Not crazy about either to be honest, if there was a gun to my head i would have said the second set.

Aberdonian Stu
24/07/2006, 10:22 PM
That serif at the bottom of the f is annoying.

Pauro 76
25/07/2006, 7:51 AM

Thanks! i can sleep easy now... ;)

John83
25/07/2006, 10:20 AM
I like the two on the left.

That serif at the bottom of the f is annoying.
Disagree.

A face
25/07/2006, 8:00 PM
They look good, although I do prefer the current one tbh

Yeah, if it aint broke then dont fix it !!

Tis grand the way it is.

Dr.Nightdub
25/07/2006, 10:43 PM
Adam, a couple of thoughts, based on long years of working in marketing and having been through countless packaging design / re-design projects.

There's been a load of studies done on colour contrast and legibility, your designer pal should be familiar with them - though it never fails to amaze me how many designers and so-called "mORketeers" (sic) aren't. Green on a white background is one of the top combinations, black on green would rank well down the list, white on green somewhere in between.

Mixing different colours in your logo is fine if you're targetting kids. Using different colours for "foot" and "ie" breaks up the verbal gag and given that everyone coming here initially will be following a link, you may's well go for maximum visual impact.

Taking the two of those together suggests that all green text on a white background with a black-and-white football would be the best bet, but that'd mean redesigning the colour layout of the whole site. All white on green would be less than optimum, but also less hassle.

Now the depressing bit: subtle changes in a logo's typeface generally aren't even noticed by Joe or Mary Public unless you ask them. Unlike putting the World Cup logo in instead of the football, or a Santa hat on the i, you cvould've just changed the logo anyway and most of us wouldn't even have copped.

One last point: getting sucked into design by committee, when the subject is your pride and joy, is the first step on a road that leads to serious tranquiliser abuse. For your own sake, I suggest you delete this entire thread! :D

dahamsta
25/07/2006, 11:06 PM
Cheers Nightdub. I actually like the green on white the best, but I won't use it for the reasons mentioned above -- every damned site has a white background, whereas the green stripe (bizarrely, and possibly rather sadly) adds an air of individuality that I think is important to retain. That said, the green and white logo - in the current format or the new one - may appear in another location. On Foot.ie posters chests, for example, if they so chose. :)

As to design by committee, sure you should know me better than that. I'll take everyone's ideas on board, and then I'll do what I damned well please anyway. :)

Seriously, I'm just sticking a toe in the water. We're going to be skinning the forums with club colours soon, and he wanted to have a go off the logo first. Skins attached if anyone wants a poke; again, these are first drafts, fired together for review purposes only.

http://foot.ie/inc/img/footie_bohs.gif
http://foot.ie/inc/img/footie_cork.gif

adam

Pauro 76
26/07/2006, 8:19 AM
changing the typeface id agree with, not too much the colours .... and at least its some unrecognisable corporate blob like the eircom logo... but having to update the colours would be a bit strange. like Kilkenny City for instance, how crap would a yellow and black website look...

Dodge
26/07/2006, 10:54 AM
That Cork one is U.G.L.Y. Way way too bright and garish

Ps

I'll take everyone's ideas on board, and then I'll do what I damned well please anyway
Fascist! :p

dahamsta
26/07/2006, 11:22 AM
Inaccurate too, since Cork's colours are predominantly green and white now. (Which he should know better than most, since he created the Rebel Army logo!) I already told him this; but again, these are just proof of concept, nothing more.

adam

Block G Raptor
26/07/2006, 2:11 PM
The bohs one looks well tasty
good stuff

dfx-
26/07/2006, 2:48 PM
We're going to be skinning the forums with club colours soon,

Not much hassle then with the Rovers or Bray ones then..:D

Paddyfield
26/07/2006, 6:08 PM
Neither. The current one is cool.

Coca Cola never changed their logo so why should foot.ie ?