PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Guitar

The Stars
21/07/2006, 11:56 AM
Think i might buy one because i cant really do any sports for a few weeks so need something to pass the time.

anyway,how much would one cost,bairing in mind i have never played before.
also what should i be looking for when buying one and any other tips about buying or playing would help.

noby
21/07/2006, 12:16 PM
Bearing in mind you're a beginner, and may not keep up the hobby, I'd get a basic acoustic. You'll get a pretty decent one for little over a hundred euro, which would be grand for starting off.
Also, with that kind of money, you won't feel too guilty if all you do is dust it down every few months and strum a few chords ( I should know)

The Stars
21/07/2006, 12:22 PM
ya i just need something basic to get me going and if I develop a taste for it i can always upgrade.

sligoman
21/07/2006, 12:27 PM
ya i just need something basic to get me going and if I develop a taste for it i can bring it out to the Showgrounds to help create a better atmosphereGood man!:D :p.

The Stars
21/07/2006, 12:40 PM
Good man!:D :p.
my secret plan is out.....:eek:

paul_oshea
21/07/2006, 1:16 PM
the stars, look up tabs in google so if you want a bands tabs you type in:
"metallica tabs" in google.

Its a good way of keeping an interest in the playing side as otherwise you will get bored real quick when you are only able to strum a few chords that make no proper sound and your fingers start to get real sore and bleed from trying to push in the strings real hard.

a few songs to start you off and make general chord practice:
nirvana - about a girl
oasis - wonderwall
verve - lucky man

simple strumming try:
come as you are:
then as the weeks go by I would try dont cry by guns n roses.

all those songs will get ye hte basics of strumming, rythm ( and keeping time ) and finally build up the power in your finger tips.

Some ppl just dont have ryhtm ( i know im spelling that wrong!!! ) so you might be surprised to find you dont either!!! ;)

Rory H
21/07/2006, 1:37 PM
Think i might buy one because i cant really do any sports for a few weeks so need something to pass the time.

anyway,how much would one cost,bairing in mind i have never played before.
also what should i be looking for when buying one and any other tips about buying or playing would help.

i have an acoustic guitar,very basic,,,,you can borrow it while you are convelescing if you want.

The Stars
21/07/2006, 2:01 PM
is it a childs one wild rover or is it half decent.
if so that would be great...problem is getting it though.

Rory H
21/07/2006, 2:05 PM
its fairly decent...its not a childs one:rolleyes:

the problem is getting alright

The Stars
22/07/2006, 6:21 PM
So wildrover gave me the lend of his guitar.
Next step is learning how to play it.

Will probably get lessons in a few weeks but until then
can people advise me of good sites that will teach me
how to read the music,learn the strings,and actually play something.

Ive tried about.com and a few other sites but too complicated
and doesnt explain it well enough.
Thanks

Soper
22/07/2006, 6:34 PM
Find loads of guitar tablature (tabs) of sonss you like (simple pop songs and /or punk songs are good as they help you develop your strumming, and the chords are simpler), and learn them till they sound good.They will help familiarise you with basic chords and strumming, and tabs are easy to read as you just put your finger where the numbers say.

It's better to miss out on lessons at first, because the simple stuff is relatively easy to pickup without the aid of a teacher.

www.mxtabs.net has loads of tabs, as well as
lessons that other guitarists have compiled themselves, covering everything.
Also, stick to it.Be patient, and you'll be fine.

The Stars
22/07/2006, 6:40 PM
thanks for the info Soper but that site has closed....look for yourself.
Any other sites you can recommend?

Soper
22/07/2006, 6:47 PM
Dayamnn, sorry about that.

Try http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

There's even a beginners section here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/

The Stars
22/07/2006, 7:12 PM
that is just double dutch to me.dont have a clue.
is there anywhere where it is broken down into simple english?

paul_oshea
24/07/2006, 1:47 PM
the stars, do yo uknow what frets are?

if you see for example this:

-----3--------------------
-----2-------------------
--------------------------

each line represents a string, with the top 3 being the top string on the guitar does that make sense? and the number 3 means FRET number three. The 2 represents the second fret, and from the above diagram, the second string from the top. The bottom 3s represent the bottom two strings on the guitar, and the third fret. So for each number there you should place a finger on a number. Therefore to play the above chord you will be playing with 4 fingers on frets 2 and 3.

Are you left handed or right handed. if you are right handed, place hte plec in your right hand. for the above chord, place your index finger ( one closest to the thumb ) on the number ( i.e. second string from top, in the second fret ) 2 and your middle finger on the top string in fret number 3.

hope that makes sense, its a start, ask me if you need anymore help!!!! By the way frets 1, 2, 3 are down at the end of where the strings are "tied up" for easy to understand english!!

paul_oshea
24/07/2006, 1:51 PM
oh ya, if you see spaces between numbers like this:

------3--------------------
---2-------------------
--------3--------------------
-----------3--------------------

thats not a chord, that means you will be strumming ( or picking with your fingers ) the guitar so you will only be playing 1 string at a time.

I think i have explained that in a simple manner if not let me know.

Finally dont get lessons, only a waste of time and money more importantly, plus you learn better by yourself ( with the internet today you dont need teachers ) and finally the best guitarists in the world all thought themselves:
steve vai
joe satriani
eric johnson
slash
kirk hammett
dimebag darrell
did you do as i say earlier and get tabs for the songs i mentioned above. you didnt acknowledge if you did ye wee pup ye.

Beavis
25/07/2006, 9:05 PM
I've played a few different acoustics and found Fenders to be quality and are in the lower price range.

My advice is to try learn songs that youre into (preferably not really hard), as opposed to what people might tell you to learn, makes a huge difference in maintaining interest in the early stages.

BleusAvantTout
24/08/2006, 8:24 PM
If anyone out there wants the lyrics & chords of numerous songs, then try www.chordie.com - it even has a transpose facility!! :cool: