PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal vs. Ajax / Emirates Stadium

holidaysong
22/07/2006, 4:35 PM
Anyone watching this at the moment on TG4? It's the first match in their new ground, the Emirates Stadium. The pitch looks to be a similar size to the one at Highbury which I think will be good for them. I reckon they are a far better team on a smaller ptich.

thejollyrodger
22/07/2006, 4:55 PM
didnt get any wow sensation when i saw the new stadium.... boring boring design IMHO

Dodge
22/07/2006, 5:28 PM
didnt get any wow sensation when i saw the new stadium.... boring boring design IMHO
Disagree. Think its easily the best in Britain now.

The Stars
22/07/2006, 6:10 PM
agree with the jolly rodger.
the stadium is too similar to Man City's new ground.
dont like the wave effect on the top rows of it.
Pitch is as good as Highbury and is longer and wider.

sligoman
22/07/2006, 6:18 PM
What was the final score in the game?

gustavo
22/07/2006, 7:02 PM
2-1 arsenal
was a great occasion to watch
most of their double team of 98 with the noticable exception of tony adams
also good to see cruyff and van basten strutting their stuff
arsenals new stadium is very nice even if it is a direct copy of sporting lisbons stadium

sligoman
22/07/2006, 7:12 PM
Bergkamp score?

The Stars
22/07/2006, 7:14 PM
even for a match that is only a mess around that was absolutly horrible.
no one was showing off,with the exception of Van Basten(who is still class)
you would expect people to show off their skills but that didnt happen.

De Town
22/07/2006, 9:59 PM
Thought the stadium was pure class myself.

And Van Basten, as I'm so young have never really seen him play, but some of his touches today were just pure class :ball:

Stevo Da Gull
23/07/2006, 12:57 PM
I would just like to pay tribute to my favourite player of all time, in my opinion Arsenal's greatest player of all time (and that's saying something), Dennis Bergkamp. I have too many memories of his brilliance to begin typing down here. A fantastic career saw him win the UEFA cup, Cup Winners Cup and pick up a Champions League runners-up medal (many people forget the part he played getting Arsenal to that final last year - scoring a last minute goal against Thun in Highbury to rescue the points at the beginning of the amazing run to Paris). He also picked up numerous personal Accolades.

My only regrets for him were that he never got to lift the Champions League trophy and I could never understand Adebayor being picked ahead of him last year and think he should have played much more regularly (although he did have a few injury's). He still however played a crucial role in getting Arsenal in the Chapions league by pipping Rottenham Sh*tspur to 4th place (despite being restricted to the bench), 1 game that springs to mind is the game against West Brom at Highbury which was set at 1-1 when Bergkamp and Pires came on off the bench - Bergkamp set up Pires to make it 2-1 (one of Dennis' many assists in his 20 years of pro-football) and then scoring a beuty to seal the points. Anyway I'm going to stop now because I could go on all day talking about Dennis and I've got a match to go to. I know that the day was always going to come but my world feels that bit emptier now that Bergkamp has retired - I wish him and his family all the best for the future:)

As far as the match its'self goes. I'm a little peed off that all but 1 of Arsenals players at the World Cup did'nt play (respect to T Henry). Dennis actually looked a little nervous in front of goal and did'nt score. I though that Van Basten and Overmars were easily the best two performers of the day and were a joy to watch .... I wonder if they'd be interested in playing for Bray......

There's only one Dennis Begkamp, One Dennis Bergkamp, walking along singing a song, Walking in a Bergkamp wonderland

http://www.bergkamp10.net/