PDA

View Full Version : Henderson new contract

ramblers
21/07/2006, 1:59 PM
Henderson has been given a new 3 year contract. What a joke!!!

What has he acheived at Cobh nothing we missed out on the playoffs last season and will be lucky to finish in the top 4 this season that is not progress.

Rambler1
22/07/2006, 10:50 AM
If we win tonight by 3-0 or more , we are top (depending on Rovers result). What more does the guy have to do! Last year we were leading most of the way for 36 games only to fall at the last 3 or 4 out of 36 which was a great achievement with such a young team. Compare that to the previous 3 years league placings and are we better or worst?
He has made substitutions that we can all look at after the event and say they didnt work but he will learn from them and become a better manager from mistakes he has made. However he has to get some credit for getting us from last position in the league to potentially top position after tonight.

The Rebel Ram
22/07/2006, 1:15 PM
I agree with Rambler 1. Steveo has done a lot for the club and the football being played under him is the most exciting Ramblers have ever played. I think his positive approach to games is very exciting. Not everything is perfect but he is getting better, I still think we can win the first division this year. It's going to go down to the last few games but I feel after last year they will have learnt a lot of lessons and can drive through till the end of the season. Never quit!

ramblers
22/07/2006, 4:16 PM
If he wins the league ar we are runners up that is progress he has to do it first then he should get a new contract not now. Acheive something first then reap the reward not before.

We should be top now we have got only 1 point out of 9 not exactly league winning form.

Its not about quitting it is about being realistic.

Super-rams
24/07/2006, 8:19 AM
Henderson has been given a new 3 year contract. What a joke!!!

What has he acheived at Cobh nothing we missed out on the playoffs last season and will be lucky to finish in the top 4 this season that is not progress.

There is always someone who just wants to complain. You would probably be happy if Hendo and the team did fail so you could say I told you so. Now that he has signed a long term contract the team can settle knowing who's at the helm and by the club showing confidence in Hendo I'm sure he'll do all he can to drive the club forward.

The futures bright, the futures claret and blue.

Comic Book Guy
24/07/2006, 10:00 AM
I think Hendo deserves a new contract, some of the football the team have played this season has been a joy, he has given players such as Mikey, Gareth Cambridge, Graham Cummins etc. their chance and he has been rewarded.
The difference in the club on and off the field over the past few years is incredible, as a regular to our games I have noticed a lot of people coming to the games that I have not seen at the ground in years, why? because of the quality of the football that is been played is attracting them back.
I think the club was dying slowly on and off the pitch for about 15 years and I have noticed a real sense of optimism around the place.
A lot of that is due to the committee but a lot is also due to Stephen Henderson.

Rambler1
24/07/2006, 4:33 PM
There is always someone who just wants to complain. You would probably be happy if Hendo and the team did fail so you could say I told you so. Now that he has signed a long term contract the team can settle knowing who's at the helm and by the club showing confidence in Hendo I'm sure he'll do all he can to drive the club forward.

The futures bright, the futures claret and blue.

Hear, hear....And if he does fail this year by finishing second or 3rd then I hope he gets us up next year. There is no magic wand (or manager) who will guarantee us promotion on gates of 200-300.If we had gates of 500-1000 every week like Sligo or Limerick then we could afford to go for proven managers / proven goalscorers. Unfortunatly we dont have that, only a dedicated manager and a dedicated squad and if they are good enough to get us there this season ...bonus, if next season, then fine with me also.And I hope its not the usual argument ...we would get 1000 at a game if we played exciting football....The rovers game and second half of last weeks were better then most games in either division this year.

ramblers
24/07/2006, 7:16 PM
There is no one who wants to see this team do well more then me. I am on about being realistic in terms of a Manager and a 3 year Contract. That is a long time to tie a Club down to a Manager regardless of who it is.

I think another year on his Contract would have been enough. That would have given him 3 seasons to get promoted and could be reviewed every year that is ample time for any Manager to acheive it.

Also you have to remember that he is being backed well by the commitee to about 4000 plus a year which is a lot more then other managers have got. He has been the first Manager in many years to be able to pay a fee for a player. So in my opinion money is not an excuse the wage bill has doubled regardless of what the gates are.

Rambler1
24/07/2006, 8:23 PM
Fair points and you are entitled to your opinion
I know he has got more then last year but dont think wage bill has doubled (open to correction on this)
Secondly where do you think we are in terms of what we give to our manager for his squad budget as double depends on where it started at in the first place.
Out of 21 clubs where is our budget in expectation to our league position 14th of 21 because at the end of the day, thats the way it is....money gets you higher. The more you have of it the higher you go ...normally

Id say our budget for players is about 16th highest..think Lims and Dundalks and everyone above us is bigger then ours..
Guess whose budget is highest? You got it.

1 Shelbourne
2 Drogheda U
3 Derry City
4 Cork City
5 Sligo Rvrs
6 St Pat's A
7 UCD
8 Bohemians
9 Longford Tn
10 Bray Wndrs
11 Waterford U
12 Shamrock R
13 Galway Utd
14 Cobh Rmbls
15 Limerick FC
16 Dundalk
17 Athlone Tn
18 Finn Harps
19 Kildare Co
20 Kilkenny C
21 Monaghan U

Fan-tastic
24/07/2006, 8:23 PM
Sorry to burst a couple of bubbles but we were in the playoffs three years ago against Drogheda under Dave hill and he was working off a budget of about 1500 a week. He used sub standard players like Gareth o donovan and Kabia and youths like darren, meady, zico james cummins etc to do this. If he did that with that money what would he be able to do with the 4000 a week that Hendo has. Fair dues to Hendo he assembled a right good squad at the start of the year and with it we should definitely at least be top, not just joint second or third because the teams around us are poor. If the squad is this good with PROVEN GOALSCORERS which reilly and bruts are, experienced defenders in breen,carey& mucy and excellent youths like cambridge and mikey then who do you look at when we are not getting results. THE MANAGER. The budget he has is bigger than two premier teams Waterford and ucd and most of the first.

Rambler1
24/07/2006, 8:30 PM
The budget he has is bigger than two premier teams and most of the first. Not sure on that Who are u thinking of. Is it UCD and Waterford? If they are less then us I would be suprised

ramblers
25/07/2006, 5:12 PM
I dont belive the bigger the budget the higher you go. It is about Team spirit and direction that will win the league and a Manager who knows when to change things.

Dave Hill got to the playoffs on the smallest budget in the league through determination and hard work by the full team and also having bruton score 17 goals that season helped:D

DmanDmythDledge
26/07/2006, 4:13 PM
Not sure on that Who are u thinking of. Is it UCD and Waterford? If they are less then us I would be suprised
UCD have basically no money to spend on players. We have to rely on loan signings and free transfers.

Clifford
28/07/2006, 3:32 PM
I'd say the contract is deserved and gives the club a bit of stability to build on. Henderson is the best man for the job for sure in my book. I can see why there are doubts, but a great job is being done so far.