PDA

View Full Version : European matches - TV coverage

Pages : [1] 2

joema
20/07/2006, 9:28 PM
It has been confirmed that rté will show both legs of Cork Citys tie with Red Star - http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p224.htm

Do ye think there is a decent chance that they will show either the Drogheda or Derry match? Would probobly be easier for them to show the Drogs match from Dayler.

This year Derry and Drogs have done brilliantly in Europe but the general public dont know this - we need one of these games to be shown on TV to get attention.
Here is RTÉs scheduale for Thursday at the time of the Uefa Cup matches:

20:00 TWO WILD: THE CRAB-EATING MACAQUE
21:00 STACKED *

Surely a Uefa cup match would bring in higher viewing figures than THE CRAB-EATING MACAQUE ?? And Stacked - which I pressume hasnt that big a following could be shifted back a half hour or so?

RTÉ are our apparently national broadcaster so as such have a certain responsibility to promote Irish football - surely they will show one of these matches?

Do ye think there is a decent chance of this, should we email RTÉ or would we just be wasting our time in doing so??

joema
20/07/2006, 9:30 PM
Forgot about TV3 - would they be able to show it or do RTE own the rights to the qualifiers aswell?

nshoop
20/07/2006, 9:33 PM
Email that exact paragraph to rte i reckon,worth a go!

OneRedArmy
20/07/2006, 9:41 PM
Derry City or Pamela Anderson, its one of those choices that you hate to have to make.

If I hadn't filled my hot blondes quota in Sweden last week I'd be sorely tempted to give it a miss......;)

In all seriousness though one of the games should be shown. I'd suggest Derry
a) because I'm biased
b) its a sellout and has been for a week, thus televising it will enable people not able to get a ticket to the game to see it; and
c) if I have to miss my weekly dose of Pammy then nobody else should get to see her :D

Forever Dreamin
20/07/2006, 9:44 PM
Shouldnt the televising of such games be tied into the rights for our home full internationals!!

nshoop
20/07/2006, 9:46 PM
Derry City or Pamela Anderson, its one of those choices that you hate to have to make.

If I hadn't filled my hot blondes quota in Sweden last week I'd be sorely tempted to give it a miss......;)

a) because I'm biased
b) its a sellout and has been for a week, thus televising it will enable people not able to get a ticket to the game to see it; and
c) if I have to miss my weekly dose of Pammy then nobody else should get to see her :D

I agree,it's a huge game and derry have a very good chance of going through.I think you might be in luck,rte like showing games from derry for some reason:confused:

joema
20/07/2006, 9:48 PM

a) because I'm biased

As an el fan I dont mind which game it is as long as one is shown, Im sure all non Derry and Drog fans will agree. And as for Pammy this pic will do ya for the minute! (http://oscars.sky.com/Images/Gallery/elton-pamela-anderson.jpg)

:D Any excuse

Nshoop, yeah good idea I'll email them a link to this thread

joema
20/07/2006, 9:50 PM
Dayler looks better on Tv but there will be a better atmosphere in Derry, agree?

Forever Dreamin, your spot on with there

nshoop
20/07/2006, 9:52 PM
Good stuff,on both fronts!

BohsFans
20/07/2006, 11:36 PM
What about Setanta??

I suppose it all depends on whether a broadcaster from one of the other countries will buy the live feed!

Atmosphere at the Brandywell would be crap, only the stand open.

harpskid
20/07/2006, 11:43 PM
Atmosphere at the Brandywell would be crap.

Have ye ever been :eek:

Dazzy
20/07/2006, 11:45 PM
What about Setanta??

I suppose it all depends on whether a broadcaster from one of the other countries will buy the live feed!

Atmosphere at the Brandywell would be crap, only the stand open.

Where do you think the only atmosphere in the Brandy is created:rolleyes: and as harpskid say have you ever been?

joema
20/07/2006, 11:49 PM
Forgot about Setanta, but not many people have that channel, I think it needs to be shown on RTE or TV3.
I think what he is saying about Brandy is that only the seating area will be open - the terrace will be closed. Is that right?

nshoop
20/07/2006, 11:51 PM
Forgot about Setanta, but not many people have that channel, I think it needs to be shown on RTE or TV3.
I think what he is saying about Brandy is that only the seating area will be open - the terrace will be closed. Is that right?

The atmosphere comes from the corner of the stand so there should be no problems on that front:cool:

BohsFans
20/07/2006, 11:52 PM
Where do you think the only atmosphere in the Brandy is created:rolleyes: and as harpskid say have you ever been?

Many a time and I know where the atmosphere is created. :rolleyes:

With only the stand open you have to fit in 10% for away fans, segregated area, sponsors, directors, players families and the old supporters who've been going for years etc who wouldn't be singers.
+ the fact that there won't be anybody over the old jungle side, it makes a huge difference.

BohsFans
20/07/2006, 11:54 PM
Forgot about Setanta

Why?

They show the most live domestic football out of all the channels in this country!
Why are you dismissing them straight off? because you don't have it?

joema
21/07/2006, 12:09 AM
Why?

They show the most live domestic football out of all the channels in this country!
Why are you dismissing them straight off? because you don't have it?

Look at my post. I didnt say forget about setanta, I said forgot about setanta - I simply never thought of it! Btw I have the channel and will send them an email but I hope the match will be shown on free to air tv so more people can see it! I never dismissed setanta!

BohsFans
21/07/2006, 12:11 AM
Look at my post. I didnt say forget about setanta, I said forgot about setanta - I simply never thought of it! Btw I have the channel and will send them an email but I hope the match will be shown on free to air tv so more people can see it! I never dismissed setanta!

Sorry, read it as forget!

dcfcsteve
21/07/2006, 12:20 AM
Many a time and I know where the atmosphere is created. :rolleyes:

With only the stand open you have to fit in 10% for away fans, segregated area, sponsors, directors, players families and the old supporters who've been going for years etc who wouldn't be singers.
+ the fact that there won't be anybody over the old jungle side, it makes a huge difference.

Don't you worry yerself about the atmosphere at the Brandywell - either at this game or any other.

300 Derry fans created an excellent atmosphere in a near-empty 43,000 seater in Sweden last week.

There'll be enough atmosphere at the home Gothenurg game to cover our match and the next few Bohs ones.....

joema
21/07/2006, 12:21 AM
Don't you worry yerself about the atmosphere at the Brandywell - either at this game or any other.

300 Derry fans created an excellent atmosphere in a near-empty 43,000 seater in Sweden last week.

There'll be enough atmosphere at the home Gothenurg game to cover our match and the next few Bohs ones.....

Well said. Im sure ye will create a fantastuc atmosphere as usual

nshoop
21/07/2006, 12:24 AM
Well said. Im sure ye will create a fantastuc atmosphere as usual

True,derry fans always create a great atmosphere!

joema
21/07/2006, 2:23 AM
Sent this to info@rte.ie

Firstly I would like to thank you for showing Cork City's Champions League tie against Apollon and also for deciding to show their next matches against Red Star Belgrade.

I was wondering about the possibility of RTÉ showing either the Derry City or Drogheda United Uefa Cup matches. Both ties are being played in Ireland - Dalymount Park and the Brandywell and as such would be easier to broadcast than an away fixture. Both teams have done fantastically well in the first matches and stand a great chance of progressing to the next round and in the process knocking out two illustrious and well known teams (Gothenburg and Helsinki). What Drogheda and Derry are trying to achieve deserves media attention. Thousands of eircom league fans who will not be attending these matches would love to be able to watch on TV, this would also boost the profile of the eircom league and make non supporters sit up and take notice of how Irish football has progressed in recent years.

Also, as you already know RTÉ is the national broadcaster and as such has a responsibility to support and promote Irish football. In recent years many eircom league fans have lost confidence in RTÉ for neglecting Irish football on countless occasions. However confidence has recently been restored (to an extent) for deciding to show Cork City's matches and Shelbournes efforts last year.

Please broadcast one of the Uefa cup matches, it's the least the supporters of the league deserve not to mention the staff and supporters of the two clubs concerned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decent effort I think hopefully they read their emails!
But they are unlikely to do anything becasue of just one email
Email: info@rte.ie - send them an email - nothing to loose

If Eircom league fans work together we can achieve something so just give them an email - ye can even rob mine!

Other addresses: info@tv3.ie and setanta.irl@setanta.com

ifk101
21/07/2006, 7:37 AM

I think this is an understatement. Was talking to a Swede over the weekend about the match and he said it was worth the entrance fee to listen and watch the Derry fans - apparently ye never shut-up the whole match.

Questionable if RTE would be willing to drive their van from Cork (they're showing live the match from Turner's on the Wednesday) up to Derry for Thursday.

bigmac
21/07/2006, 9:08 AM
Questionable if RTE would be willing to drive their van from Cork (they're showing live the match from Turner's on the Wednesday) up to Derry for Thursday.

THey must have more than one surely!

BohsFans
21/07/2006, 11:33 AM
THey must have more than one surely!

Setanta have their own, RTE don't have an OB!

joema
21/07/2006, 11:36 AM
Seteanta response

Thanks for your interest in Setanta Sports.
Your comments are very welcome and will be passed to the relevant department.

TV3 response

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately we are not in position to broadcast the games live next week,
however we will be doing previews of both games in the lead up,
as well as previewing the Cork City champions league game next Wednesday.

We will also be featuring the best of the action from the games on our Sports
tonight's programmes next week

Dave Kelly
TV3 Sport

Nothing from RTÉ yet

BohsFans
21/07/2006, 12:15 PM
Seteanta response

Thanks for your interest in Setanta Sports.
Your comments are very welcome and will be passed to the relevant department.

TV3 response

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately we are not in position to broadcast the games live next week,
however we will be doing previews of both games in the lead up,
as well as previewing the Cork City champions league game next Wednesday.

We will also be featuring the best of the action from the games on our Sports
tonight's programmes next week

Dave Kelly
TV3 Sport

Nothing from RTÉ yet

At least they've have the goals!! :-/

TV3 don't have the budget for live games anymore.

Rory H
21/07/2006, 1:46 PM
on a domestic front its a damn shame shelbourne vs sligo rovers wont be on tv next friday,,,2 teams playing some of the best football in the country at the moment and its very worthy of one of the 4 game slots our broadcasters deem worthy of transmission

MariborKev
21/07/2006, 3:43 PM
Was talking to a Swede over the weekend about the match and he said it was worth the entrance fee to listen and watch the Derry fans - apparently ye never shut-up the whole match. .

Yeah, the Swedish media was particularly taken with the fans

Each of major dailies devoted an article to the Derry fans

Raheny Red
21/07/2006, 4:38 PM
Yeah, the Swedish media was particularly taken with the fans

Each of major dailies devoted an article to the Derry fans

Has anyone scanned these to go online??

Dazzy
21/07/2006, 9:41 PM
Has anyone scanned these to go online??

Can you speak Swedish?? We got the barman to translate it for us:cool:

Raheny Red
22/07/2006, 12:03 PM

Nope :o but just wanted to have a gawk ;)

pete
22/07/2006, 9:48 PM
I am a bit surprised that Setanta haven't come in to show some Uefa Cup games this season given their positive progress in live eL game. Lets face it Setanta have almost no live sport on these days...

BohsFans
22/07/2006, 10:30 PM
I am a bit surprised that Setanta haven't come in to show some Uefa Cup games this season given their positive progress in live eL game. Lets face it Setanta have almost no live sport on these days...

The Open has been on it the last few days, a GP every 2nd week (Friday - Sunday and baseball during the week.

Apart from that, not much live sport.;)

pete
22/07/2006, 10:45 PM
The Open has been on it the last few days, a GP every 2nd week (Friday - Sunday and baseball during the week.

Apart from that, not much live sport.;)

Golf - already shown on BBC & anyone who has Setanta already has BBC (no commercials). I don't understand why they show the golf.
Baseball - starts at 12 midnight.
GP - mainly weekend.

joema
24/07/2006, 1:45 PM
Setanta:

Hi Joe,

Many thanks for your recent email and kind words about our coverage. It is very encouraging to get such positive feedback about what we are trying to do.

With regard to your question, I am afraid that there are no plans to cover either of these games on our channel. Much as we in production would like to, the cost of covering these games is not allowed for in our current budget. At our stage of evolution, it is always the difficulty with such one off games, even ones as exciting as these.

The way we plan our coverage sees it based around taking a run of games, or a competition and doing it over a longer period of time. During such time we can build up an awareness and hopefully an audience / subscribers for it. This is why for example we put so much effort and expense into our Setanta Sports Cup and Eircom League coverage, as it gives us a run of 2 to 3 months of games every week. In fact, our Eircom League coverage in 2007 will actually be increased from this year.

I hope this helps explain our thinking, and I am sorry that we are not in a position to do these games at the moment.

Regards,

Tim Tuomey

Football Editor, Setanta Sports Channel

bigmac
24/07/2006, 1:55 PM

My Norwegian is very rusty but I could probably give you the gist of the articles if someone puts them up. Swedish isn't a million miles away from Norsk.

bigmac
24/07/2006, 1:57 PM
Setanta:

Regards,

Tim Tuomey

Football Editor, Setanta Sports Channel

Hands up who has ever sent a mail to RTE and got a reply? Fair play to him for taking the time to write back.

Dazzy
24/07/2006, 2:03 PM
My Norwegian is very rusty but I could probably give you the gist of the articles if someone puts them up. Swedish isn't a million miles away from Norsk.

They were posted up on the Derry site somewhere, Will dig it out.

gustavo
24/07/2006, 2:05 PM
Hands up who has ever sent a mail to RTE and got a reply? Fair play to him for taking the time to write back.
I sent an email to info@rte.ie complaining at the balls up they made of showing the Lost finale over 2 nights rather than over the 1 night that it should have been and I got a stock reply 3 days later

pete
24/07/2006, 2:33 PM

I emailed RTE complaining about shabby coverage of City v Bohs a few months back. By law they have to forward it to the complaints commission & i got a detailed reply 1-2 weeks later. I consisted of several excuses including mistakes by new employee & "sure those mistakes happen all the timre..." type language.

Setanta reply is very good & actually makes sense in terms of budgeting over a full year so fair dues.

Red&White
24/07/2006, 7:11 PM
I sent an email to info@rte.ie complaining at the balls up they made of showing the Lost finale over 2 nights rather than over the 1 night that it should have been and I got a stock reply 3 days later
I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with an Eircom league match. "Two halves...in one night!?"

joema
25/07/2006, 11:52 AM
RTE Response:

Joe

Thank you for your e-mail, which will be logged and circulated to the senior
management editorial team in accordance with RTÉ Policy.

Kind Regards

Brigitte
RTÉ Communications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muppets :mad:

pete
25/07/2006, 2:18 PM
Muppets :mad:

That is standard policy. You will receive full response from relevant person within a week.

CuanaD
25/07/2006, 2:37 PM
That is standard policy. You will receive full response from relevant person within a week.
A week - like AFTER the games !!!!!:mad:
:ball: ocks!

joema
25/07/2006, 3:40 PM
I said muppets because they only responded today, the matches are on Thursday ffs.

joema
25/07/2006, 3:46 PM
Another Setanta reply, Im really impressed with them.

Hi Joe,

Further to my email to you yesterday, I wanted to let you know that we will be covering the second leg of Cork City’s tie in Belgrade next week. This is because we have discovered that own the rights to the match as part of an existing European club deal we have which gives us the rights to Red Star Belgrade’s home games. We are able to do it as we are not the host broadcasters and just receive a feed of the pictures. Therefore we do not incur costs as we don’t have to shoot it and the fee is already paid.

So while our major broadcasting of Irish clubs won’t begin until next February, we at least can offer this taster in advance. And funnily enough the same principle would apply in the UEFA Cup if Drogheda or Derry were to advance and draw a European club whose home games we own. So fingers crossed they progress, and we might be able to cover them in the next round away from home.

Just some more details I thought might be of interest to you.

Kind regards,

Tim

Tim Tuomey

Football Editor, Setanta Sports Channel Ireland

Ph: (00 353) 1 474 4934

Mobile: (00 353) 87 231 4163

pete
25/07/2006, 4:07 PM
Setanta replies are excellent as can see the logic clearly. This would be the same reason they show UK clubs in the Uefa Cup as easy to add a commentator when getting the feed from other broadcaster.

I don't think so good that Setanta showing the Belgrade game instead of the RTE as less exposure.

Schumi
25/07/2006, 4:13 PM
I don't think so good that Setanta showing the Belgrade game instead of the RTE as less exposure.
Are Setanta showing it exclusively? They seem to have it by accident so I doubt there's anything stopping RTE showing it as well.

Dodge
25/07/2006, 4:17 PM
I'd imagine it would be an exclusive deal.