PDA

View Full Version : Who to take CHF's place in next years league?

CharlesThompson
20/07/2006, 4:25 PM
With the demise of CHF it would be pretty odd with only 21 teams contesting the two top leagues in the land. There have been mentions of the likes of Kerry or Mayo putting a team into the league and possibly some of the outstanding clubs in the country entering into the league in the future.

The fact that this happened now, at least gives a certain amount of time for these organisations/clubs to really consider if they wish to make the step up.

For me I think that the space should be given to a 'country' side as opposed to a Dublin side. For example, somebody mentioned Mullingar or Castlebar Celtic. Both with good infrastucture and a support base which they could possible build on and would bring something different to the league. It is also speculated that Mick Wallace is building a stadium in Wexford and they might have an interest in stepping up a grade or entering a team into the eL.

The issue for these clubs/organisations though seems to be the cost of stepping up and I would fear for any willing to take this chance. I personally don't have a favourite, save for the fact that I'd really be against another club from Dublin which is already saturated with clubs in the eL.

mypost
20/07/2006, 4:30 PM
With the demise of CHF it would be pretty odd with only 21 teams contesting the two top leagues in the land. There have been mentions of the likes of Kerry or Mayo putting a team into the league and possibly some of the outstanding clubs in the country entering into the league in the future.

The fact that this happened now, at least gives a certain amount of time for these organisations/clubs to really consider if they wish to make the step up.

What you first need is a base, you need a ground to play on, that ground needs to be suitable to play 1st Division football next year, then you need a decent sponsor, then you need supporters, and a catchment area to build on. This suits the likes of Castlebar and Westport in Mayo.

Personally, I would see two 12-team divisions as the way forward. We need more teams from Connacht and Ulster, than from Portlaoise and Mullingar.

Battery Rover
20/07/2006, 8:12 PM
Personally I don't think anyone will replace them as I feel that we might lose 2 or 3 others before the season ends and no one will want to join a league with the new structures until they see if they work.

Hopefully this doesn't happen but not too positive seeing what I am seeing in the graveyard every week

nshoop
20/07/2006, 8:26 PM
Is there a good junior or senior club in letterkenny?That town is getting closer to a city every minute and it would give harps a real local rival

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 8:27 PM
Personally I don't think anyone will replace them as I feel that we might lose 2 or 3 others before the season ends

Before the season even ends? Why do you feel that? Who do you think?:confused:

Battery Rover
20/07/2006, 8:51 PM
With the revenue now chasing teams for money owed how many teams other than the top 4 or 5 could afford to pay moneys owed?

I know joema has answered this already but I dont see how clubs with crowds in the low hundreds and below whatever their plaing budget is.

Surely Dundalk are spending well beyond their means as Gill has bought half the country and will probably take half of DC up there as well. The statement given by the guy who is trying to take over didnt sound very positive unless they cut their cloth big time.
Kildare paying rent on the ground and poor crowds cant be very positive. Longford must be struggling as their crowds are very low for premier football.
Kilkenny but as joema explained they are ok.
Ourselves we arent out of the woods yet but have cut the cloth and are keeping it tight and are getting there hopefully.
Surely Shels are going to struggle with the crowds they are getting. Have their players been paid yet?

All clubs down here in the First division are finding it hard and you cant spend as the crowds arent there and many I am sure are breaking the bank trying to get a super league place.

Dazzy
20/07/2006, 9:11 PM
Is there a good junior or senior club in letterkenny?That town is getting closer to a city every minute and it would give harps a real local rival

I think someone is trying to get a team like fanad utd. to become letterkenny rovers or something? not sure but heard rumors about it it does have potential but it could just be a Dublin City.:confused:

nshoop
20/07/2006, 9:16 PM
I think someone is trying to get a team like fanad utd. to become letterkenny rovers or something? not sure but heard rumors about it it does have potential but it could just be a Dublin City.:confused:

Yeah,there was talk of harps moving to letterkenny a good while back because it's the fastest growing town in ireland,but i could never see them leaving ballybofey.It would be an ideal place for a new club to set up though!

Battery Rover
20/07/2006, 9:30 PM

Letterkenny Rovers play in the U21 league Northern Section and play Monaghan Saturday. So they have taken the first step there

Monaghan Utd -v- Letterkenny Rvs 2.00
Century Homes Park

Dazzy
20/07/2006, 10:40 PM
BR i forgot about that... but they're entry into the U21 could well see and application in the next few years time.

nshoop, Some rich person was trying to get them to move there also but they will never leave Ballybofey area, but i except Letterkenny Rovers looking to join in 3 years????? Some of the Harps boys would know more about the whole thing!

Battery Rover
20/07/2006, 10:43 PM
There was a story a while ago round these parts that Ballinasloe Town were thinking of it. They have a good set up down there. They are in the U21 league as well so it might be the next step for them.

harpskid
20/07/2006, 11:40 PM
Donegal has trouble sustaining one club, never mind two! Letterkenny Rovers won't be in the League of Ireland any time soon ;)

nshoop
20/07/2006, 11:43 PM
Donegal has trouble sustaining one club, never mind two! Letterkenny Rovers won't be in the League of Ireland any time soon ;)

What's the story with yous anyway?How much debt are yous in and has that plan to move to stranorlar gone down the drain?:confused:

Dazzy
20/07/2006, 11:43 PM

Thats good enough for me, bad enough we have one donegal club to contend with:p ;)

carrickharp
21/07/2006, 7:06 AM
What's the story with yous anyway?How much debt are yous in and has that plan to move to stranorlar gone down the drain?:confused:
Post about the Shareholders meeting on the Harps forum (http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=4289)

nshoop
21/07/2006, 2:53 PM
Post about the Shareholders meeting on the Harps forum (http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=4289)

Thanks,good stuff written there,a lot of good ideas especially the tickets for schools,hope it works out:)

dcfcsteve
21/07/2006, 5:28 PM

There was an article in the press ast Christmas time (I mentioned it in a previous post on this issue) where a group of local business men were looking into taking a team like Fanad United into the EL, based out of Letterkenny.

I know you'll disagree, but I really do believe that Harps have missed a trick by not moving to letterkenny, and that that decision will be their ultimate downfall. Football is a primarily urban game, and Ballybofey/Stranorlar is by far the smallest conurbation with a team in the entire league. Letterkenny is Ireland's fastest growing town, will eventually become a city, and offers a proper rivalry with Derry City - as opposed to the makey-uppy one we currently have between us. It has a lot more companies there that can provide sponsorship, and the value of any stadium there would grow at a much faster rate than one in the Twin Towns - which would make your club richer still.

For as long as you are based in a small town, you'll struggle to be a big or successful club. Letterkenny is only a few miles down the road, but can offer a football club so much more than Ballybofey ever could. I'm not saying this to have a go - Finn Harps are my second team. I just firmly believe all of this to be true.

Time will tell, but I do believe that this decision will lead to your downfall. You're right that there is only room for one Donegal club in the EL. Should a team from Letterkenny ever get in, I fear your days would be numbered. And given the mindset of the FAI, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought likewise and 'enabled' a team from Letterkenny to join at soem point. I doubt they hold much faith in Ballybofey as a location in their blueprint for Irish football.

passerrby
21/07/2006, 5:41 PM
Dear Non league team
I believe you may have an interest in joining the FAI Eorcom league ,you are very wellcome and if you could please sent me the following your application will be processed.
1. €5000 reg fee
2. current eufa license application (completed)
3. Copy of accounts (monthly)
also you may wish to know that your reff fees per years will be about €10000
,fines (for any reasons €4000 on average)
P.S you may have to entertain Shamrock rovers at sometime in the season this unfortunly cannot be avoided.
finally we would like to wish you all the best with your application but as soon as it is accepted we retain the right to screw you over.

fbtn
21/07/2006, 9:36 PM
Steve

The whole Letterkenny thing has been looked at and discussed ad nausem among Harps fans and about 99% want to stay in the Twin Towns, including our Letterkenny fans.

Ballybofey is situated in the centre of Donegal and we have fans that come from Killybegs, Bundoran, Ballyshannon, Donegal Town, The Rosses etc. Finn Harps is a Donegal club, not a Ballybofey club, but we belong in the Twin Towns.

If we moved to Letterkenny we would lose fans and there is no guarantee that new supporters would come out in their thousands to watch live football. If the move to Letterkenny was beneficial to Harps, we would have moved there.

If businesses want to sponsor us, I don't think it is going to make much of a difference if we are 15 minutes up the road.

Our potential support is massive. When we played Dundalk two seasons ago we had 5000 in Finn Park and when we played Cork in our first game back up last season we also had 5000 at it.

Unfortunately playing absolute drivel for two seasons in a row has the fans flocking in the opposite direction in their thousands.

If we can put a decent team on the pitch, regardless of where we play, we will always have good support. Moving to Letterkenny would only exacerbate our problems to be honest.

And what ultimate downfall?? Too many people still care passionately about Harps. You'll be glad to hear that we'll be about for a long, long time to come.

Poor Student
21/07/2006, 11:40 PM
The Cosmos are the only choice. Can't wait to see their convoy crossing the Liffey every forthnight.;)

CharlesThompson
22/07/2006, 5:32 PM
Steve

The whole Letterkenny thing has been looked at and discussed ad nausem among Harps fans and about 99% want to stay in the Twin Towns, including our Letterkenny fans.

Ballybofey is situated in the centre of Donegal and we have fans that come from Killybegs, Bundoran, Ballyshannon, Donegal Town, The Rosses etc. Finn Harps is a Donegal club, not a Ballybofey club, but we belong in the Twin Towns.

If we moved to Letterkenny we would lose fans and there is no guarantee that new supporters would come out in their thousands to watch live football. If the move to Letterkenny was beneficial to Harps, we would have moved there.

If businesses want to sponsor us, I don't think it is going to make much of a difference if we are 15 minutes up the road.

Our potential support is massive. When we played Dundalk two seasons ago we had 5000 in Finn Park and when we played Cork in our first game back up last season we also had 5000 at it.

Unfortunately playing absolute drivel for two seasons in a row has the fans flocking in the opposite direction in their thousands.

If we can put a decent team on the pitch, regardless of where we play, we will always have good support. Moving to Letterkenny would only exacerbate our problems to be honest.

And what ultimate downfall?? Too many people still care passionately about Harps. You'll be glad to hear that we'll be about for a long, long time to come.

Things never looked good for you when you swapped out Declan Boyle for Sean Cooney!