PDA

View Full Version : FAO: All Dublin City Supporters

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 12:47 PM
http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?p=78354#78354

basically say's

Any Dublin City season ticket holders, interested in still coming to Shels games for the remainder of the season, contact the club on 837 5536 and leave contact details. A special offer is currently being arranged. Ask for Ollie Byrne. Proof of season ticket purchase will be required.

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 12:49 PM
Now i know there's gonna be a lot of wise cracks made obout trying to up our crowd's and all that crap, but before you start just think about it for a moment,

Genuinly this is a NICE thing shels are doing for some genuine national league supporter,

fair play maynooth red for suggesting it,

Fair play Gareth for talking to Ollie about it and fair play Ollie for doing summit about it.

chippie0001
20/07/2006, 12:50 PM
http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?p=78354#78354

basically say's

Any Dublin City season ticket holders, interested in still coming to Shels games for the remainder of the season, contact the club on 837 5536 and leave contact details. A special offer is currently being arranged. Ask for Ollie Byrne. Proof of season ticket purchase will be required.

Yeah you can go and see two screwed clubs for the price of one :p

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 12:53 PM
I saw the same suggestion on gypsyweb. I'll cast the cynic in me aside and say nice gesture.

dcfcsteve
20/07/2006, 12:56 PM
It's not a 'gesture' to help anyone.

It's is a smart move to try to gain existing EL fans who suddenly have no club to follow.

Any suggestion that this is Shels or Bohs being charitable is naive. It's a land-grab of the easiest new-fans any club is likely to convert.

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 1:01 PM
fine if that your opinion, but mine personally is, its a nice offer, we didn't have to offer, jasus a lot of there fans are from the whitehall area quite close to tolka and dalyer so theres a good chance they WILL turn up to watch live football,

Shels & Bohs are just making the burden a little easier by either allowing them in free or a a reduced cost (I don't know exactly what either club is offering)

dcfcsteve
20/07/2006, 1:05 PM
fine if that your opinion, but mine personally is, its a nice offer, we didn't have to offer, jasus a lot of there fans are from the whitehall area quite close to tolka and dalyer so theres a good chance they WILL turn up to watch live football,

Shels & Bohs are just making the burden a little easier by either allowing them in free or a a reduced cost (I don't know exactly what either club is offering)

It's a lovely offer. Why not offer it to fans of any up-country EL club who move to Dublin and can no longer watch their club that regularly ?

Let's be honest here, it's a very smart move. Nice, yes - but more importantly smart. If City were a Dublin club, I'd want us to do the same.

mypost
20/07/2006, 1:14 PM
It's is a smart move to try to gain existing EL fans who suddenly have no club to follow.

I know Ollie is looking for investment, but I can't see how much more he will make from attracting about 10 new fans max. :confused:

You can't force-feed someone to support a club. If those fans were devoted to Home Farm that much, they will support them in the junior leagues. If not, it shows that they merely bought into Seery's delusions, and don't care about their demise that much. They'll decide to support another club over time.

RonnieB
20/07/2006, 1:14 PM
Ambulance chasers.

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 1:16 PM
It's not a 'gesture' to help anyone.

Any suggestion that this is Shels or Bohs being charitable is naive. It's a land-grab of the easiest new-fans any club is likely to convert.

Steve, the gain would be negligable. Subtract all the families and friends of players. How many Dub City fans actually have a season ticket? How many of those would even be bothered to take this up? You're talking about scrambling for a number less than 10.

Macy
20/07/2006, 1:17 PM
Unless they're giving them Free season tickets, I remain cynical and have to agree with Ronnie. It's only a nice gesture if Shels have no financial motivation themselves.

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 1:29 PM
Unless they're giving them Free season tickets, I remain cynical and have to agree with Ronnie. It's only a nice gesture if Shels have no financial motivation themselves.

I don't personally know what financial motivation is in it for shels/ollie but i would hope they would be givin free season tickets for shels, and as i've stated on the dublin city chat page i hope the take shels up on the offer and come down in there Dublin City Jerseys not to cheer on shels (but if they do great) but to to stay involved in the league as we can't afford to let fan's die as well as teams

Somebody mentioned if they where true supporters they'd support DC in the juinor leagues, unfortunataly i don't think DC are going to be playing anywhere at all, Not senior, juinor womens or U21

stickyjoe
20/07/2006, 1:35 PM
good gesture, this league needs all the fans it can get whether that be 10, 20 or 100

to the DC fans it may be of no consolation though seeing the club they support disappear

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 1:36 PM
[QUOTE=mypost]I know Ollie is looking for investment, but I can't see how much more he will make from attracting about 10 new fans max. :confused:
QUOTE]

Nothing is the answer, (unless he charges them all 250 for a season ticket which he wont) Shels are trying to be nice here and if it was Shamrock rovers who suggested this you would be on here with a completly different attitude, who knows maybe Rovers, UCD & pats will also offer the same, and maybe then you'll change your opinion,

Now if the DC fans who take ollie up on his offer (10,20,100) i don't know how many will but i suppose the 1st two figures will be closest and they decide next season to go to shels again then great we got a few more supporters and hopefully they take a few mate next season, then shels have done good,

If however they decide not to go to a game next season well then at least we tried.

mypost
20/07/2006, 1:37 PM
i don't think DC are going to be playing anywhere at all, Not senior, juinor womens or U21

It's only the LOI side that have folded. Their junior sides are unaffected.

Shels are trying to be nice here

As said above, you can't force someone to support a club. If Home Farm fans wish to support someone else, they will do that in their own time, and not Ollie's time.

Block G Raptor
20/07/2006, 1:38 PM
to to stay involved in the league as we can't afford to let fan's die as well as teams

The most sensible thing anyone has said on the issue since the closure of DC was announced. Fair Play Mark!!

sfc red
20/07/2006, 1:42 PM
Nice one Ollie:

News Item: http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=413

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 1:43 PM
It's a lovely offer. Why not offer it to fans of any up-country EL club who move to Dublin and can no longer watch their club that regularly?

Let's be honest here, it's a very smart move. Nice, yes - but more importantly smart. If City were a Dublin club, I'd want us to do the same.

Firstly I’ll answer your first point, Dublin city have decided to quit not the fan's

If fans of any up-country EL club who move to Dublin and can no longer watch their club that’s there problem, don't move to Dublin,

DC's fans didn't decide to leave DC, If's an unfortunate thing to happen to any EL supporter and shels are being nice, and also smart. DC fans would probably start going to shels game, or bohs, rovers etc.. Because as an EL fan you will realise how addictive LIVE football is, I regally go to dalymount to what matches when shels aren’t involved just to see some live football

Secondly it's a very smart move. Nice, yes - but more importantly smart

sfc red
20/07/2006, 1:46 PM

There you go, they are free season tickets

News Item: http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=413

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 1:46 PM
It's only the LOI side that have folded. Their junior sides are unaffected.
As said above, you can't force someone to support a club. If Home Farm fans wish to support someone else, they will do that in their own time, and not Ollie's time.

The junior teams are Home Farm not DC, the U21 and Ladies teams are now dead

As for forcing people to support a club, i don't believe we are doing that, we are allowing fans of DC with season tickets in for free i personally think ALL clubs in the EL should do the same,

Mark Breen
20/07/2006, 1:48 PM
The most sensible thing anyone has said on the issue since the closure of DC was announced. Fair Play Mark!!

Thanks Block G, much appericiated,

And i hope all clubs follow shels way of thinking and allow free enterance with a valid DC season ticket, i know Its been mention at boh's so i hope they do.

Block G Raptor
20/07/2006, 1:55 PM
And i hope all clubs follow shels way of thinking and allow free enterance with a valid DC season ticket, i know Its been mention at boh's so i hope they do.
Seconded

WeAreRovers
20/07/2006, 2:09 PM
Message from Shamrock Rovers FC to all erstwhile fans of failed footballing franchises -

You are more than welcome to take out membership of Shamrock Rovers. Membership costs €480 per annum and forms can be downloaded here -

www.shamrockrovers.ie

I'd imagine that's as good an offer as you'll get from us. :D

KOH

Block G Raptor
20/07/2006, 2:13 PM
Message from Shamrock Rovers FC to all erstwhile fans of failed footballing franchises -

You are more than welcome to take out membership of Shamrock Rovers. Membership costs €480 per annum and forms can be downloaded here -

www.shamrockrovers.ie

I'd imagine that's as good an offer as you'll get from us. :D

KOH
Yep and if and when the delusional experiment that is the 400 club goes tits up in a few years when the money runs out your fans wont even get an offer like that from any club! Grow Up WAR and stop stirring
(P.S. Since when do you speak for Shamrock rovers FC. and if you do then the club should be reprimanded for such tastless publicity)

DvB
20/07/2006, 2:22 PM
Yep and if and when the delusional experiment that is the 400 club goes tits up in a few years when the money runs out your fans wont even get an offer like that from any club! Grow Up WAR and stop stirring

Small point, but nonetheless to clarify, the 400 club no longer exists, we are all now members of Shamrock Rovers FC and are as fully in control of our club as much as the bohs members are of theirs.

Koh

Block G Raptor
20/07/2006, 2:30 PM
Small point, but nonetheless to clarify, the 400 club no longer exists, we are all now members of Shamrock Rovers FC and are as fully in control of our club as much as the bohs members are of theirs.

Koh
Ok I stand corrected. you're not out of the woods yet though are you. A lot depends on the success of the move to tallaght and this is far from certain. really ask yourself is Seery's hope that a club branded with the title of its home city would capture the imagination of said city or shels hoping that a move to drumcondra would set up a large fan base any more delusional than the hope that rovers have of setting up a huge fan base in tallaght. I really hope it works out for you out there and that your home games don't become a magnet for gurriers looking to cause trouble on a friday night. but these things are far from certain so i think certain rovers fans on here need to be mindfull of the situation that the club appears to be in

DvB
20/07/2006, 2:45 PM
Ok I stand corrected. you're not out of the woods yet though are you. A lot depends on the success of the move to tallaght and this is far from certain. really ask yourself is Seery's hope that a club branded with the title of its home city would capture the imagination of said city or shels hoping that a move to drumcondra would set up a large fan base any more delusional than the hope that rovers have of setting up a huge fan base in tallaght. I really hope it works out for you out there and that your home games don't become a magnet for gurriers looking to cause trouble on a friday night. but these things are far from certain so i think certain rovers fans on here need to be mindfull of the situation that the club appears to be in

Fair point, however one major plus in our favour considering our situation since taking over the running of the club is that the financial situation was taken stock of and a realistic business plan based on a near worse case scenario was prepared, budgets for the current season & the second half of last season where based on this & have been stuck to rigidly.
A contingency plan based on Tallaght not being available for at least two more seasons has also been prepared, ok it means even should we as expected be back in the premier division for next season we're highly unlikely to challenge for honours, however our budget will be stuck to purely to protect the long term future of the club, this was a fundemental difference to the approach taken by DC, i accept its far from glamorous but even the most outspoken Rovers fan will have to admit the survival of the club has to take presidence!

Koh

WeAreRovers
20/07/2006, 2:51 PM
(P.S. Since when do you speak for Shamrock rovers FC. and if you do then the club should be reprimanded for such tastless publicity)

I'm enjoying Seery and co's misery immensely and I won't be apologising for that. Ever. I also won't be apologising for making fun at their expense. They should never have been allowed join the league in the first place and they certainly should bever have been allowed a licence this year.

Block G - In case you've missed the point of all this - DUBLIN CITY'S DEMISE IS A GOOD THING.

KOH

Block G Raptor
20/07/2006, 3:00 PM
Block G - In case you've missed the point of all this - DUBLIN CITY'S DEMISE IS A GOOD THING.
I Agree in the long term dublin City was not a viable enterprise. I do however find it disconcerting that you dont feel even the least bit of empathy for the fans (few as they may be their loyalty to the club is unquestionable) considering that it could happen to any of us and very nearly did happen to your club. have you so short a memory that you cant remember what must have been a terrible feeling when it looked like rovers were going to the wall

IMO opinion you are no better than a Vulture

Block G Raptor
20/07/2006, 3:09 PM
**** them.
and you wonder why no-one likes rovers

passerrby
20/07/2006, 7:10 PM

Koh
bloody hell the luntics have taken over the asylum

anto eile
20/07/2006, 7:50 PM
bloody hell the luntics have taken over the asylum
yep, its much more efficient this way

Dodge
20/07/2006, 7:51 PM
Can anyone remember the last time a Bohs fan didn't respond to a post here by a Rovers fan (about Rovers obviously)? Please provide links...

Anyway, its not a NICE gesture, its an opportunistic move, nothing wrong with it either. Good thinking IMO.

I hope any Dublin City fans do the sensible thing and hand over their season tickets to their Bohs/Pats/Rovers supporting mates so we can give Ollie even less monye. PM me if you have one available

Derek
20/07/2006, 8:01 PM
It's a very decent thing to do, although I'm not ready to go to a game for a while, I'm shattered. woke up this morning and felt sheite, grabbed my Dublin City shirt and wore it all day.

bleak, bleak time ahead but the Shels offer is a nice gesture.

iceman
20/07/2006, 8:01 PM
Nice one Dodge :D

pineapple stu
20/07/2006, 8:06 PM
I hope any Dublin City fans do the sensible thing and hand over their season tickets to their Bohs/Pats/Rovers supporting mates so we can give Ollie even less monye.
I'll take one for tomorrow. :)

kdjaC
20/07/2006, 8:15 PM
I'm shattered. woke up this morning and felt sheite, grabbed my Dublin City shirt and wore it all day.

Kudos +1

kdjac

ccfcgirl
20/07/2006, 8:19 PM
Good move by Shelbourne ,Hopfully some Dublin City fans will take up there offer....The league needs more fans not less.

B-Stand
20/07/2006, 10:38 PM
Now i know there's gonna be a lot of wise cracks made obout trying to up our crowd's and all that crap, but before you start just think about it for a moment,

Genuinly this is a NICE thing shels are doing for some genuine national league supporter,

fair play maynooth red for suggesting it,

Fair play Gareth for talking to Ollie about it and fair play Ollie for doing summit about it.

Fair play to $h€£$ for being quick off the mark to officially release that statement, but I somehow think maynooth red may have been browsing through GypsyWeb from where he stumbled upon the idea :rolleyes:

Drumcondra Red
21/07/2006, 8:24 AM
Regardless of whether or not he came up with the idea himself is irrelevent, the club issued the statement, not gypoweb!

As they get in for free there is no financial gain, although, yeah, we're in the hope they'll kepp coming!

babydol
21/07/2006, 9:11 AM
Can anyone remember the last time a Bohs fan didn't respond to a post here by a Rovers fan (about Rovers obviously)? Please provide links...

Anyway, its not a NICE gesture, its an opportunistic move, nothing wrong with it either. Good thinking IMO.

I hope any Dublin City fans do the sensible thing and hand over their season tickets to their Bohs/Pats/Rovers supporting mates so we can give Ollie even less monye. PM me if you have one available

Absolutely pathetic! The Dublin City Fans were just that -FANS!! not only of their club but of the eircom league - something we need more of rather than less! If your really that stuck for the 15 quid in to tolka you can have my season ticket! I'll happily pay my cash in to see live football. As I do in Richmond, Dailymount or anywhere else there is an Eircom league team playing. I paid a tenner (ish) in to Richmond only a few weeks ago to watch Pats v UCD. I know plenty of your own fans who didn't even bother!

Stop trying to screw other teams out of money! if all the other teams follow in the way of Dublin city - who the Hell are you gonna play on a Friday night?

Dodge
21/07/2006, 9:30 AM
Stop trying to screw other teams out of money! if all the other teams follow in the way of Dublin city - who the Hell are you gonna play on a Friday night?
WTF?!

I don't wanna screw other teams out of money I wanna screw Shels out of money. HUge difference.

Patronizer
21/07/2006, 9:41 AM
WTF?!

I don't wanna screw other teams out of money I wanna screw Shels out of money. HUge difference.

LOL... :D

pineapple stu
21/07/2006, 12:52 PM
I paid a tenner (ish) in to Richmond only a few weeks ago to watch Pats v UCD. I know plenty of your own fans who didn't even bother!
Most Pat's fans knew what was coming and didn't bother. ;)