PDA

View Full Version : The Effect of the Dublin City Fold

jdexter
20/07/2006, 8:34 AM
Here is a place to ponder the effects of the D.C affair.I know there are other Dub threads, but this one is about replacement issues. I would like to know if anyone can speculate or know whether they are likely to be replaced, and if possible when we will know. Thanks

gufct
20/07/2006, 8:44 AM
as the whole EL is about to be revamped but i have fears for the future of the game here unless a proper plan is in place for the next 5 years at least bercause at the moment its not working.

dubman
20/07/2006, 9:23 AM
this is good news for the FAI. Which is why they did not help this time. They want max 4 teams in dublin. 2 would do them perfect. UCD watch out...

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 9:25 AM
UCD watch out...

They might throw us an arbitrary relegation next season, but there's nothing more they could do to us.

garyderry
20/07/2006, 9:27 AM
They might throw us an arbitrary relegation next season, but there's nothing more they could do to us.

if they do yeah would bounce straight back anyway i would assume

CuanaD
20/07/2006, 9:38 AM
this is good news for the FAI. Which is why they did not help this time. They want max 4 teams in dublin. 2 would do them perfect. UCD watch out...

Actually 5 teams is a good figure & could be marketed linked to the Council areas.
:
DunLaoghaire Rathdown - UCD
South Dublin CoCo - Shamrock Rovers
Fingal - Shelbourne (or Bohs?)
South Dublin city - St Pats
North Dublin City - Bohs (or Shels)

(Bohs/Shels depends on where they end up playing from in the next years.)

All these would have potential catchment areas(clearly definable) of approx 250,000 people.

:ball:

dcfcsteve
20/07/2006, 10:59 AM
Wll - a 21 team league just won't work, so there will either have to be a replacement, or another team disappearing. The former is the more likely (and can at least be planned for).

I'd expect there's a couple of visionary junior clubs getting revved up for an application at the moment. Mullingar ? (x 2 ?)

KildareFan
20/07/2006, 11:07 AM
What about Mick Wallace getting together a from Wexford? They have a superb youth set up down there and I believe he is in the process of building a ground at the moment

The Stars
20/07/2006, 11:52 AM
So with Dublin Gone who do ye think will make up the new league next season?
Id say Cork,Derry,Drogs,Pats,Bohs are all certs and I hope Sligo but you never know.

garykelly
20/07/2006, 11:55 AM
i'm all for another club joining the league but as long as a team is not elected to the league simply as another number. i cant see a 21 team league working no matter what way you look at it. If a team is coming into the league they should have a good set-up already, have the support and the will to succeed in the Eircom League. The FAI should also make immediate finances available over an introductory period to such a club in order for them to upgrade and make the neccessary jump into EL football. In such a period a grace on club licensing should be given. However such a club would need to see themselves existing in the league indefinitely and not just for 5 years, fail to establish and drift off back to Junior football. But the question is where and when will such a team pop up from. It would need to be a top junior (or merger of top junior clubs) club that in an area that is interested in soccer but without a current EL club.

The demise of Dublin City asks alot of questions about the FAI and their abililty to introduce and enforce footballing legislation such as club licensing. Clubs doing well in irish football do so in spite of the set-up not becuase of it. The FAI (along with some EL clubs) need to get serious about league football in these country and it's needs to back that up with strong in your face marketing on tv , papers etc. The perceived 'leper' attitude from the FAI towards league football has to be eradicated . Whether or not the FAI can make a difference remains to be seen. They need time to do it and should be given time. However roll on the day when an EL man through and through takes up the reins in the FAI. Until then I cant FAI involvement in league football as anything other than paying lip service to Uefa in order to continue riding the International Train. ( I really hope I'm wrong)

nshoop
20/07/2006, 11:11 PM
So with Dublin Gone who do ye think will make up the new league next season?
Id say Cork,Derry,Drogs,Pats,Bohs are all certs and I hope Sligo but you never know.

I'd agree with those six and longford,probably shels if they last that long,ucd,and hopefully rovers.The two other spaces?waterford maybe,probably galway.