PDA

View Full Version : Bray 1-2 Sligo

The Stars
18/07/2006, 9:26 PM
Can bray fans give ther take on the game?
heard ye were piling on the pressure in the last 20 mins or so?

superfrank
18/07/2006, 9:29 PM
Imo, Sligo were better and deserved the win. Quessionble refereeing in the build up to btoh Sligo goals but I thought yez would've gotten them anyway. Your man Mansaram is a reall gifted player. My Man of the match.

The Stars
18/07/2006, 9:36 PM
Imo, Sligo were better and deserved the win. Quessionble refereeing in the build up to btoh Sligo goals but I thought yez would've gotten them anyway. Your man Mansaram is a reall gifted player. My Man of the match.
fair play superfrank.....you are spot on about Mansaram.Derry fans said the same about him and they know their stuff.
what was the attendance like frank and how were our fans?

superfrank
18/07/2006, 9:38 PM
Dcent amount of Sligo fans. Very well behaved and seemed to be good fun.

I guess there was around 500 at it. Not too good.

The Stars
18/07/2006, 9:40 PM
heard rovers fans were in 2 different groups?is this true?
Did you notice the guy with the bodhran?

superfrank
18/07/2006, 9:44 PM
Yes and yes.

The Stars
18/07/2006, 9:51 PM
your full of detail anyway....

Superhoops
18/07/2006, 10:21 PM
We started poorly and made a bit of a spurt before half time. But we didnt deserve anything the way we defended. What the fu*k were Wesley and Gifford doing for the first goal and who was supposed to be picking up Hughes when the ball came across (think it was from Keith Foy?)? :o

Agree that Mansaram looked good, especially the way he went past defenders to score his goal, but thought that Keith Foy played well for Rovers.

If our defenders can stand up and pick up their men (big if, I know!) we can do them in the cup. ;)

sligoman
19/07/2006, 12:46 AM
Wesley Charles was one of yer best players tonight in my opinion. Our first goal was made by Keith Foy. The Bray player was clearly obstructing the ball but the ref wasn't giving anything so Foy never gave up and went in and took the ball off him, passed it across the goal to Hughes and he slots it into the net. No offence, but Bray are the worst team I've seen this season. That scoreline flattered ye, it could have been way more. Don't know what Judge was at trying to lob the keeper in that one on one situation, all he had to do was put it passed him, never mind showing off.

Eoingull
19/07/2006, 1:48 AM
It doesn't suprise me that Bray are the worst team Sligoman has seen all season...some of our players are still trotting around as if they're in the First Division, and just can't keep up with the game. Even Caffo, who I would regard as one of our genuinely talented players, seems to be falling off the pace. I think they could all do with a week in one of those US "bootcamps". Franco was like a breath of fresh air tonight...he was sharp, committed, and played with a focussed passion missing from the Carlisle Grounds for quite a while now. I'd have to give his score tonight my Wanderers goal of the season, so far.
I'm not sure about Wes and McGovern playing together in the centre of defence...they're too similar...ie. error prone. We need a leader in there. That first Rovers goal was ridiculous...and all too reminiscent of others conceded this season...loads of players standing around looking at one another. Sligo's Mansaram was excellent, and I actually called him to score early on in the match...he seemed to have the measure of our lads.
Talking of Sligo supporters being in two different groups, there were a handful of lads with Dublin accents cheering on Rovers, and trying their best to act up to the leery football supporter stereotype. By the end of the match, I reckoned they're just come to the game to act the maggot, and supported neither team.

Rory H
19/07/2006, 10:22 AM
Talking of Sligo supporters being in two different groups, there were a handful of lads with Dublin accents cheering on Rovers, and trying their best to act up to the leery football supporter stereotype. By the end of the match, I reckoned they're just come to the game to act the maggot, and supported neither team.

which group are you talking about...the group who were standing behind the goal at the bowling alley end or the lads beside the dugouts?

superfrank
19/07/2006, 10:30 AM
I see that alot of people are saying that Wes was our best player. Imo, it was Skippy played really well and made a brilliant save when he should've had a free kick.

Bray Head
19/07/2006, 10:45 AM
Some of our more established players are letting us down. Particullary in midfield. Fox & Keogh were poor. Franco & Robbie linked up well together with little support from midfield. Defence is shocking - just hoofing the ball anywhere without trying to set up play. Skippy played well but his kicking gives the ball away all the time. Thought we could have got something out of it when Sligo missed those late chances. Reckon there was about 900 there with a good crowd from Sligo.

Rory H
19/07/2006, 10:47 AM
900...ha ha...about 300 and 50 from sligo

BrayUnknowns
19/07/2006, 10:47 AM
My head was wrecked after the game last night ! Few things that really fcuking annoyed me ! Sligo started slightly the better but we got back into it and created some really good chances that we should have taken. We did pretty ok in the st half and Doyle and Franco had some really nice interplay. Half time comes and McGuirk decides to change the formation, why ? we were creating chances and playing decent stuff, no worse than Sligo (who by the way play nice football). Puts Doyle to right wing and Foxy up front, was'nt working so he changed it back after 10/15 minutes. The game was fairly even with both sides creating chances..... Now i've never really liked as a ref but last night set it in stone for me, because some of the decisions he made, for both sides, were just plain silly and in the end cost us the game. Mansaram clearley fouled Wes (twice) AND Giffy in the lead up to the goal, then as Giffy was on the ground Foy was kicking him trying to get at the ball, how he did'nt give a free out or even a hot ball was just beyond me. The booking of Doyle was for absolutely nothing, he was'nt even close to Foy who just dived. Mansaram did the very same thing twice of Wes and Doyle yet did'nt get booked for it.

Thought our goal was very much deserved as we were well on top at that stage, although Sligo were playing good counter attack stuff and had easier chances than what they scored.

The 2nd Sligo goal was a joke ! i've never seen a goalkeeper to dive as slow, the ball bobbeled into the net, and our defence had chances to clear before Mansaram finished. While talking about Mansaram, i was actually dissapointed after all the hype from Sligo fans! 1st half he barely got a touch, Wes totally outplayed him, 2nd half he was better though and made some great runs and held it up well.

Sligo created about 2/3 realy good chances to finish the match in the 2nd half but were let down by really really poor finishing, but we had our chances as well, again let down by poor finishing.

The there a decent crowd there as well, easily over 800, with about 30/40 at most sligo fans i'd say.

FAO: Bray Fans, in particular SuperFrank - Are ya still going to defend Skippy and his kicking ?

Bray Head
19/07/2006, 10:56 AM
Tony is just following on from a Devo tactic of moving people around. Robbie started up front. Moved to right wing at start of second half. Then he swapped with Pip on the left. Sign that the manager does not know his best team. No other club make that amount of changes. No wonder the players look lost on the pitch.

BrayUnknowns
19/07/2006, 11:00 AM
Fully agreed, i could hear him shouting at Doyle saying go back to the 1st half, it was working better ! Another thing, Why did we not attack Foy more ? he's a good footballer and all but FFS he is as slow as they come, not once did we try and use that to our benifit......

sligoman
19/07/2006, 12:12 PM
Why did we not attack Foy more ? he's a good footballer and all but FFS he is as slow as they come, not once did we try and use that to our benifit......Actually that's where your wrong. Foy is clearly unfit but that does not affect his pace much. Very few can actually outpace him in my opinion. He makes up ground quite easily.

The Stars
19/07/2006, 12:15 PM
he uses his class and reading of the game to insure he is rarely left one on one and if he is he just blocks them off if they try to get around him.
he always has so much time on the ball aswell and can go past a player so easily.

BrayUnknowns
19/07/2006, 12:16 PM
Actually that's where your wrong. Foy is clearly unfit but that does not affect his pace much. Very few can actually outpace him in my opinion. He makes up ground quite easily.

Nah ive seen Foy play a good few times before, If Doyle had of run at Foy then theres not a hope in hell if would have caught him, same goes for david Tyrrell if he had of been on long enough.

sligoman
19/07/2006, 12:18 PM
Nah ive seen Foy play a good few times beforeNo offence, but I'd say I've seen him play a bit more than you;).

BrayUnknowns
19/07/2006, 12:24 PM
No offence, but I'd say I've seen him play a bit more than you;).

None taken what so ever but i know that a bloke about 3 stone over weight is not going to out pace Doyle or Tyrrell. Thats a fact

sligoman
19/07/2006, 12:35 PM
None taken what so ever but i know that a bloke about 3 stone over weight is not going to out pace Doyle or Tyrrell. Thats a factWell you believe what you want and I'll do the same:).

BrayUnknowns
19/07/2006, 12:46 PM
in fairness i aint gona loose sleep over it !

The Stars
19/07/2006, 1:10 PM
Ive only ever seen one person managing to get a ball past Foy and that is McCourt when we met in the Showgrounds.He was around Foy but then pulled his hamstring adn went off injured.....Foy was happy to say the least.

Eoingull
19/07/2006, 1:26 PM
The Sligo supporters there last night were great...I've no doubt the people I was referring to have no connection whatsoever to the club...I think it was more a case of cheering against the home team to show how "mad" they were.

DmanDmythDledge
19/07/2006, 5:27 PM
Where were they in the ground ? And what age where they ? Because they were not with us thats for sure
There is always a bunch of local scumbag kids at Bray.

superfrank
19/07/2006, 6:21 PM
FAO Bray Fans, in particular SuperFrank - Are ya still going to defend Skippy and his kicking ?
Yes. You know why, cos he does well. I thought he did really well last night, our Man of the Match and he's obviously well on his way to Player of the Month......again. He's been one of our best performers ALL season and his only let down has been his defence. I mean when Sligo had both their goals the defenders could easily have been cleared so it wasn't all his fault. And there was that chance when he was fouled and still got up to charge down the shot which would've been a certain goal.

His kicking last night wasn't great. I counted about 4 or 5 bad ones but I don't think we should pass from the back especially with Mansarams pace and the unwillingness of defenders to take the ball. The only players out last night he could really aim for was Foxy and Doyler.

To be honest BrayUnknowns, I'm beginning to look forward to your Skippy-bashing after every match and I, and other fans who will name themselves if they want to, feel that it's fans like you who could be forcing him out of the club. I mean why the **** should he stay when arrogant, ignorant arseholes like you are going to put him down every week? He's not perfect, nobody is. I think you need to realise how much one player can do.

superfrank
19/07/2006, 6:26 PM
There was actually a UCD fan there last night...maybe it was him.

At least we have fans for the future. In case you haven't realised it's Bray. People from Dublin seem to think we're all scumbags. At least we're not overweight cigar-smoking snobs like the majority of your ones were the last time at the Carlilse.

sligoman
19/07/2006, 7:03 PM
There was actually a UCD fan there last night...maybe it was him.Saw him alright. He came the wrong night maybe? Jason Byrne was there too, maybe it was him?:D.

In relation to the scumbag kids though, I have to agree. Their was about 9 or 10 little scummy children beside us calling us "Sligo scumbags" and eventually the steward actually done his job and kicked them out.

Stevo Da Gull
19/07/2006, 9:20 PM
I Reckon Skippy was probably our best player last night, and probably our best player recently. He made some big saves to keep us in the game and if he keeps going as well as he is then I'd see him as one of the favourites for the POTY award. He misplaced quite a few kick-outs but I still think that his kicking has improved this season and that his confidence in his kicking may have taken a knock because of the UCD game. I reckon that he's a talent and we're lucky to have such a good keeper who is so young.

Still very down after last nights game, you equalise in the 82'nd minute in a home game and lose it anyway, thats hard to f**kin swallow:(

On a good note - fair play to Franco for taking his goal so well, after not scoring competitively for a while it must be difficult to keep composure but he did the job.
Taking distance into account that is the best away support that I've seen at the Carlisle on a weeknight since... well it's the the biggest in recent memory anyhow and they represented the club well- fair play to ye lads;) . As for a lot of our regulars, without trying to make excuses, I know that a lot of the Bray fans have it arranged to make sure that they are'nt working Friday nights and so the lack of games on a Friday recently has certainly effected the atmosphere.

BrayUnknowns
20/07/2006, 9:12 AM
Yes. You know why, cos he does well. I thought he did really well last night, our Man of the Match and he's obviously well on his way to Player of the Month......again. He's been one of our best performers ALL season and his only let down has been his defence. I mean when Sligo had both their goals the defenders could easily have been cleared so it wasn't all his fault. And there was that chance when he was fouled and still got up to charge down the shot which would've been a certain goal.

How can you defend such poor kicking ? because he make a few decent saves during the game ? Don't recall Skippy winning player of the month at all this year - The match programme said Doyle had won it for May and June, Weso won it for April and Doyle won it in March, so what do you mean by again ?

His kicking last night wasn't great. I counted about 4 or 5 bad ones but I don't think we should pass from the back especially with Mansarams pace and the unwillingness of defenders to take the ball. The only players out last night he could really aim for was Foxy and Doyler.

What do you mean his kicking wasn't great ! it was absolutely BRUTAL ! he's the same week in week out. If we can't back pass to our own keeper then he should not be playing for us, he he can't cope with the pressure of it then please let someone else who can in nets. Your right thou, Foxy and Doyler were the only 2 real targets until Vint came on, the problem was thou is that he kept finding Franco, by far the smallest man on the pitch.

To be honest BrayUnknowns, I'm beginning to look forward to your Skippy-bashing after every match and I, and other fans who will name themselves if they want to, feel that it's fans like you who could be forcing him out of the club. I mean why the **** should he stay when arrogant, ignorant arseholes like you are going to put him down every week? He's not perfect, nobody is. I think you need to realise how much one player can do.

Ah so the truths out ! your are skippy or your a little boy who must adore him ! you would'nt resort to slagging otherwise. Grow up little boy.

I have paid good money over the past 20 or so years to watch Bray Wanderers play, i have followed them all over the country. I am totally entitled to critise a player if i want and in this case im fcuking right, he is by far the worst goalkeeper to play for us on a regular basis that we have ever had. For every good save skippy makes he will put us back in trouble just as fast, he cant kick from hand or ground, he has no command of his area, cant come for crosses and has no trust or respect from his defenders.

BrayUnknowns
20/07/2006, 9:13 AM

Just like every other ground in the league ! well apart from UCD that is, there's barely anyone there.....

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 2:19 PM
At least we're not overweight cigar-smoking snobs like the majority of your ones were the last time at the Carlilse.

Your ground is infested with young knacker spawn. Why do you always have to get so touchy about it? It's a fact.

BrayUnknowns
20/07/2006, 2:35 PM
Poor S is right, we do have a lot of little toe rags that come to our ground, but thats all they are - little toe rags, there no more than 12/13/14 just there to get a rise out of the waay support. Every single ground i've been at has these present apart from UCD. From my experiences they are no worse than the likes i've seen out at the likes of Bohs or Rovers. Even had a bit of hassle down in Cobh and Galway. Nothing to write home about though, as i said there kids acting up....

Rory H
20/07/2006, 2:38 PM
of course there is....bray was nothing worse than what you usually see.....and some of the "little toe rags" across the country aren't so bad...some complemented my badhron playing skills....

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 6:19 PM
Personally I've never seen anything remotely like it at any other grounds.

Btw Frank, how does one figure out that another club's set of supporters are snobs? The cigar-smoking fan is question is Aberdonian Stu, I don't see any reason to take this down to such an insult to a person's weight.

superfrank
20/07/2006, 6:27 PM
Btw Frank, how does one figure out that another club's set of supporters are snobs? The cigar-smoking fan is question is Aberdonian Stu, I don't see any reason to take this down to such an insult to a person's weight.
So how come the yez slagged Robbie Doyle's weight the whole match long?? I'm just it fits into the stereotype of a snob: you know cigar smoking, the accent, etc.

I din't mean it in a personal way at all. I don't know the guy but he's a lot more "horizontally challenged" shall we say then Robbie Doyle, who UCD fans called fat the whole match long. You get me?

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 6:44 PM
So how come the yez slagged Robbie Doyle's weight the whole match long?? I'm just it fits into the stereotype of a snob: you know cigar smoking, the accent, etc.

I din't mean it in a personal way at all. I don't know the guy but he's a lot more "horizontally challenged" shall we say then Robbie Doyle, who UCD fans called fat the whole match long. You get me?

A few fans called him fat, and not the whole match long. The "horizontally challeneged" lad wasn't one of them as far as I can remember. As for the accent, if you mean the D4 accent, there's a mix of accents amongst our fans. Way to generalise though, Frank.

superfrank
20/07/2006, 8:29 PM
Way to generalise though, Frank.
So was your "knacker spawn" jibe!!!

Poor Student
20/07/2006, 9:00 PM
So was your "knacker spawn" jibe!!!

I said there is a lot of knacker spawn in the Carlisle, didn't say you were all knacker spawn. You on the other hand generalised the majority of us as cigar smoking (one of us), overweight (a small few) and snobs (some of us having D4 accents?).

BrayUnknowns
21/07/2006, 9:01 AM
The whole idea of saying Doyle is over weight is actually the funny thing. He has about 7 or 8 percent body fat ! his fcuking ripped. I had to laugh when the UCD lads were singing it as it was so far from the truth