PDA

View Full Version : Duff on his way to Newcastle

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

shakermaker1982
17/07/2006, 7:34 AM
From the BBC

Tottenham are close to completing the signing of Chelsea's Damien Duff, according to reports.
The 27-year-old winger is thought to have completed a medical on Sunday and is expected to make his move across the capital in the next few days.

The Republic of Ireland star, who moved to Chelsea from Blackburn for £17m in 2003, has a year left on his contract.

Duff has won two Premiership titles at Chelsea but has struggled to hold down a regular slot in the starting line-up.

He would become Spurs' third major signing of the summer so far after the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov, Didier Zokora, and Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Since Jose Mourinho replaced Claudio Ranieri as boss in 2004, Duff has been hampered by knee and shoulder injuries, and the summer arrival of Michael Ballack has put his place in the side under further threat.

The signing of Ballack and striker Andriy Shevchenko could mean that Mourinho will revert to a 4-4-2 to accomodate his new signings, leaving fewer opportunites for Chelsea's wingers.

Duff began his career at Blackburn Rovers in 1996 and made over 200 appearances for the Lancashire club.

Since moving to London, Duff has featured 95 times for the Premiership champions.

I wish it was Man Utd but it has to be good news for us if he links up with Robbie.

macdermesser
17/07/2006, 8:02 AM
how many more midfielders does Jol want to sign? ManU or Liverpool would have been a better move .. must not be interested. Hopefully the move will allow Damien to develop his attacking skills again, after having them sucked out of him at chelsea

irishfan86
17/07/2006, 8:18 AM
Brilliant move. I can't wait to see Robbie and Duff playing together each week.

And as said above, Tottenham's attacking style can only be good for bringing out Damien's best.

Stuttgart88
17/07/2006, 8:24 AM
Hopefully Duff will benefit from Jol's management style. Of all the midfielders Jol seems to be in the market for few would directly be competing with Duff I'd say. Spurs is the kind of place where he could flourish again. Playing with two orthodox strikers to feed will be an instant boost to him.

I was on a business trip recently with Spurs fan who doubted if he'd be a good signing. Just as I take a very pro-Irish outlook on things, this guy is totally angloccentric & for purely selfish reasons I'd love to be able to ring this guy and say "I told you so".

beautifulrock
17/07/2006, 8:25 AM
£11m, actually Chelsea have done well bearing in mind the downward pressure on transfer values that the Italian "firesale" will have. Good move for Duffer although would also have preferred Man U or Liverpool for the European experience. Glad he is away from Chelsea anyway.

BaZmO*
17/07/2006, 8:50 AM
Good move for Duffer although would also have preferred Man U or Liverpool for the European experience. Glad he is away from Chelsea anyway.
Would of preferred those 2 myself but he will be getting European this season if he goes albeit UEFA Cup.

Dr. Ogba
17/07/2006, 8:51 AM
Suppose this means Andy Reid should begin packing his bags then...

BaZmO*
17/07/2006, 8:56 AM
Suppose this means Andy Reid should begin packing his bags then...
I think he already was...

Dr. Ogba
17/07/2006, 9:10 AM
I think he already was...

There was an interview with him recently (last week I think) where he was being very positive about his future and saying he was working hard in training in the expectation that he would be fit and rearing to go for the new season....must not have been in the loop on Spurs' transfer activities then!!

beautifulrock
17/07/2006, 9:24 AM
If Andy is not packing, then he should certainly get a move on as he badly needs first team football for ours and his own sake

shakermaker1982
17/07/2006, 9:57 AM
Forest would gladly take him back.....

Soper
17/07/2006, 10:36 AM
Reading are after Reid

Dr. Ogba
17/07/2006, 10:40 AM
Reading are after Reid

Source? Hopefully he stays in the Premiership, maybe with one of the lower-tier clubs (Portsmouth/Charlton/Villa)...Can't see Reading being interested, sure don't they still have the American lad Convey there?

Soper
17/07/2006, 11:16 AM
It was on the BBC forums, and it was in one of the papers yesterday.

They could possibly want to play him on the right, or more importantly in the middle.

Stuttgart88
17/07/2006, 11:35 AM
There's been talk of Sidwell leaving

tetsujin1979
17/07/2006, 12:34 PM
Sidwell's been linked with Man City, but I can only really see it happening if Barton moves on. Boro have been linked with him in recent weeks, but nothing concrete, and with the Huth transfer dissolving it's looking like Southgate will be looking for a central defender, rather than a midfielder.

eirebhoy
17/07/2006, 12:44 PM
Absolutely delighted with this news. I can't wait to see Duffer back to his best again. :) Spurs are on the up and with the team they've now built they should be challenging for the CL spots and a UEFA cup title.

fergalr
17/07/2006, 1:04 PM
Its a pity its come to this - for a start its one less Irish player in the CL. Secondly its at best a sideways career move (moving to a lesser club in order to get first team football). Thirdly I wonder whether we will ever see the old style Duff - Jol runs a tight ship and I betcha that he will want him to play pretty much as he has been doing for Mourinho.

On the surface its good business by Chelski - 11mil when he can go for free in 12 months.

He was well loved at Stamford Bridge and he will be missed. Lets just hope its a good move for Duff and for Ireland.

Bring Back Mick
17/07/2006, 2:25 PM
It was the height of summer at Cobham on Monday morning but thoughts turned to the 2006/7 season as a group of Chelsea first team squad members returned to training after the summer break.

There was a first taste of life at Chelsea’s training headquarters for Salomon Kalou (top picture on the left) and new goalkeeper Hilario. They were joined by Carlo Cudicini, Damien Duff, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Gérémi and Lassana Diarra, none of whom had been involved in the World Cup.

drummerboy
17/07/2006, 3:20 PM
Delighted to see Duff going to Spurs. Does this mean another financial bonanza for Pat Devlin???????

thejollyrodger
17/07/2006, 6:42 PM
was duffer pushed or did he walk ? Glad to see him out of Chelski though.. its a stinking club that ruins players

Adrianovic
17/07/2006, 8:53 PM
The Daily Mail said that with Carrick probably off to Manchester United, Jol wanted forum favourite John O'Shea to be apart of any deal.

Ade

dr_peepee
18/07/2006, 6:31 AM
I read that Jol actually turned down JO'S plus cash in exchange for Carrick..

And according to the good people on newstalk 106 last night the move is unlikely as spurs couldn't afford the package plus wages and he definately hadn't completed a medical. There was talk of a refused 5million bid from spurs though

CollegeTillIDie
18/07/2006, 6:52 AM
Well moving to Tottenham means he won't be adding to his trophy cabinet any time soon. A club that doesn't even win the League Cup anymore.

Macy
18/07/2006, 7:53 AM
Well moving to Tottenham means he won't be adding to his trophy cabinet any time soon. A club that doesn't even win the League Cup anymore.
Yeah 2011 a bit of wait for a cup win. :D

fergalr
18/07/2006, 9:16 AM
its a stinking club that ruins players
... and this from a $h€ls supporter! LOL.

eirebhoy
18/07/2006, 10:45 AM
tbh, I couldn't care about his trophy cabinet. :) I'm just happy to see Duff destroying premiership right backs and proud he's Irish. At the moment he's as enjoyable to watch at Chelsea as John O'Shea.

Here's his stats from last season:
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=403787&CPID=8&clid=6&lid=&title=Omens+look+good+for+Damien+chase

He should be trying a lot more dribbles than that but the rest are impressive.

Stuttgart88
18/07/2006, 10:54 AM
eb, could you repost your Duff compilation pls, if convenient?

lofty9
18/07/2006, 11:00 AM
After reading conflicting reports on the net (source google news search duff :D ) - it looks the media is in a spin with this story. There are even reports he's been offered a two year extension to his contract with Chelsea. Another saying Chelsea are looking for more than Spurs have supposedly offered. Mourinho also saying he'll have no fit players for the start of the season therefore he is needed. And then the conspiracy from Newcastle is it is a Chelsea leak forcing Newcastle to stump up cash to buy Wright Phillips.

Why wouldn't he want to stay and force his way back into favour, after all injuries hampered his form last year and he gets to feed the best players in the world i.e Shevcenko and Ballack with his crosses - it'll make a refreshing change for him as there is only so much he could take can take when playing with Drogba. It seeems Champions League football is the be all and end all for players once they get a taste of it - a move to Spurs wouldn't provide this. Do Liverpool and Man Utd have any interest in him? They did before his move to Chelsea.

eirebhoy
18/07/2006, 11:14 AM
eb, could you repost your Duff compilation pls, if convenient?
Sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxZNDrG4Ln8

drummerboy
18/07/2006, 12:24 PM
Duff has made his mind up to leave Chelsea, as they will be even less chance this season than last, as The Special One plans on playing 4-4-2 to accommodate his new signings, Ballack and Shishenko. Chelski won sell him to Manure, Arse-nal or Liverpool. That leaves Spurs and Newcastle. Keane is supposedly bending Duff's ear, so I'd expect him to sign for Spurs, probably on Friday.

paul_oshea
18/07/2006, 2:18 PM
all the compliants ppl have made about chelski what it has done to duffer, take a look at eirebhoys vid and the majority of clips are in a chelski shirt!!!

unless of course feeds for this were easier come across than when he did it in a blackburn shirt or ireland shirt ;)

Stuttgart88
18/07/2006, 2:59 PM
Note that very few of those clips were from the last 12-15 months though Paul!

R5 Live often says that Mourinho has put too much fear of losing the ball into Duff's game so he doesn't take his man on as aggressively as before. Duff under Ranieiri was great. Duff during Mourinho's first 6 months was great. Duff since then hasn't been.

I also maintain that Duff, as a winger, having only one centre-forward (and a goal shy one at that) to service reduces his effectiveness, especially as he doesn't have the cut-inside-and-shoot ability of Cole & Robben. I've lost count of the number of gilt-edged chances that Drogba has missed from Duff assists.

Like eirebhoy I don't think Duff should be looking at his trophy collection. It's possibly premature to move - I'd love to see him throw the gauntlet down to Cole & Robben and prove his quality, especially now they could be switching to a 4-4-2 - but if he were to move Spurs with their attacking game would be a great place for him. They're on the up, are buying well and my guess is he'd flourish there.

PS: tks for posting the clip

Irish_Praha
18/07/2006, 3:00 PM
all the compliants ppl have made about chelski what it has done to duffer, take a look at eirebhoys vid and the majority of clips are in a chelski shirt!!!

Yeah but a lot (if not all) of those are from before the special one arrived.

Stuttgart88
18/07/2006, 3:01 PM
unless of course feeds for this were easier come across than when he did it in a blackburn shirt or ireland shirt ;)
I'd love to see Suwon again, and also the pre-WC02 friendly at home to Denmark, Duff's finest hour in green IMHO.

paul_oshea
18/07/2006, 3:58 PM
ya i know lads!

cavan_fan
18/07/2006, 4:17 PM
There have been a few comments on the fact Chelsea are intending playing 442 this season but I dont think they intend to play wingers.

I suspect they will have
Makelele in holding role
Lampard and Essien/Ballack in the middle
Ballack/Robben/Cole behind a front two

Ignoring whether this makes much sense I cant see Duff getting mcuh of a look in in this team. Of the 3 Robben/Cole and Duff, Duff is the out and out winger, I dont see him in the role behind the front two.

Duff's biggest problem is that he is too modest/retiring etc. If you watch Robben he plays for himself, never passes, always goes as far as he can. This means he gives the ball away regularly but it also means that he occasionally scores wonder goals. (The same is true in a slightly different way of Lampard).

Damien would be a star at Tottenham (as he is with us) and I think he would beneift from play centring around him. Arguably playing in a true 442 Tottenham side is better practice for playing for Ireland than playing in one of Mourinho's Porto with money Chelsea sides.

fergalr
18/07/2006, 7:59 PM
After reading conflicting reports on the net (source google news search duff :D ) - it looks the media is in a spin with this story.
or has been spun a story?

One year left on contract, prior to negotiations it has been known for a player's agent to spin an unattributable story to the tabs about a move to another club.

eirebhoy
18/07/2006, 10:47 PM
I don't think Devlin is that type of agent but maybe I'm wrong.

thejollyrodger
19/07/2006, 12:24 AM
... and this from a $h€ls supporter! LOL.
let it go man !! there are other clubs richer than us.

tricky_colour
19/07/2006, 1:19 AM
Looking forward to seeing some of the 'old' Duff. when you enjoyed
watching him play!

nshoop
19/07/2006, 1:21 AM
When he bothered his hole!

Karlos
19/07/2006, 1:58 AM
Yeah 2011 a bit of wait for a cup win. :D

If they are lucky you mean. :D

I had the privilege of being at Old Trafford in 2001 when that 'year ending in one' nonsence was put to bed by Vieira & Pires ;)

Stuttgart88
19/07/2006, 7:46 AM
Departing Duff wanted by six top clubs

By Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh and Duncan Beech
DAMIEN DUFF is wanted by six Premiership clubs including Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool.

A source close to Duff admitted that Tottenham Hotspur were also interested in signing the Ireland midfielder, but that no deal was done, nor had the 27-year-old, as reported, underwent a medical.

A move away from Chelsea is ‘highly likely’ it was admitted, but money would have no hand to play in the decision. Chelsea have offered €90,000-a-week Duff a two year extension to his current contract to tempt him to stay at Stamford Bridge, but Duff is eager to play more regularly.

“The Spurs thing is a bit of a setup,” the Irish Examiner was told. “There is no truth in it, he has not taken any medical tests at all. It is highly likely he will move, but as always in football that could change.

“If anything happens it’s going to be a purely football decision. Several clubs have shown interest in Damien. Six clubs in the Premiership and one outside England, but he knocked that one on the head himself.”

He reported back for pre-season training on Monday at Chelsea’s Cobham base but the signings of midfielder Michael Ballack and striker Andriy Shevchenko could see his opportunities diminish.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=8713-qqqx=1.asp

gustavo
19/07/2006, 9:53 AM
Looks like its confirmed:) (http://www.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/duffmanvy4.jpg)

eirebhoy
19/07/2006, 11:47 AM
That's an interesting article in the Examiner. It certainly looks like he's off but now its anyones guess where to.

eirebhoy
19/07/2006, 1:05 PM
According to SSN Duff left Chelsea's training ground this morning shortly after arriving. He was due to train but called away by other matters.

FarBeag
20/07/2006, 7:08 AM
I hope he took a trip to North London.I cant wait to see him leave Chelsea.

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2006, 4:20 PM
Mourinho considers Duff departure (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/5199854.stm)

eirebhoy
20/07/2006, 4:56 PM
Judging by Mourinho's quotes it looks like Duff is off. He wants to be in a team where he doesn't have to fight off 6 or 7 world class players for a place in the team. Mourinho knows he has quality players to replace him and sounds like he'd be willing to let him go. I'd be very suprised if Duff is playing for Chelsea next season.