PDA

View Full Version : Strange Locations

Sniffer
15/07/2006, 12:57 PM
While watching a World Cup tie in a Bulgarian hotel bar recently; surrounded by non - English speaking Russians, Romanians and various other Eastern Europeans; on a Bulgarian TV channel with suitably incomprehensible commentary, I was struck by the bizarreness of my situation. it led me to wonder about the strange situations and locations football fans have found themselves in to pursue their love of the game....any takers?

sligoman
15/07/2006, 1:28 PM
it led me to wonder about the strange locations football fans have found themselves in to pursue their love of the game....any takers?Finn Park:p.

Neish
15/07/2006, 3:15 PM
Watched the Ireland Vs China friendly last year in a Beijing bar, it was about 3 in the morning when it was on and Just got the 1st half in before they kicked us out.

Gareth
15/07/2006, 8:10 PM
For the Shelbourne away match against Lille, I found myself flying into Munich. I spent a frantic hour rushing round Munich in search of a tv which could show RTE, which I eventually found, only for the bar to be closed for the only night of the week.

The next year I found myself flying into Paris for Shels away match vs Steaua. I was prepared this time, ringing ahead ot find a place which had RTE. The bar assured me they had, on big screen on less. When I got there, it was mini tv which could barely be visible. I once again found myself trekking round Paris in a Shels jersey with my less than impressed girlfriend (Paris, romance, nah its a Shels euro game...) also in a Shels jersey looking for an irish pub. I eventually found one, but well the 4-1 result really didn't make the effort worth it!!! :)

Peadar
15/07/2006, 8:24 PM
Had to watch the Iran v Ireland WC Play-off in a sports bar in Rappongi Crossing, Tokyo at 4.00 am
The place was full of "Hostesses" looking for you to buy them a drink. Thankfully the manager was English and ensured that I could watch the game without being disturbed.

kdjaC
15/07/2006, 8:24 PM
Irish bar in Frankfurt for the play off vs Holland. I didnt know that the irish were going to another bar and the Dutch fans were going to the bar i was in :( Was sitting in front of the telefunken tv from 1pm that day so too ****ed to be leaving 5 minutes into the game when i realised there was about 300 Dutch fans behind me.

The abuse i got was unnatural :( They were more into abusing me than watching the match. But i stayed till the death and scored one of them :)

kdjac

Raheny Red
15/07/2006, 11:03 PM
Watched the Shels and Steaua game in Playa da Flnglas last year in an Oirish bar with their featured game being the Celtic game, :D flippin' delighted :rolleyes:

deecay
16/07/2006, 5:04 PM
I never really had any weird experiences until last month.me and my younger brother(were only 17 and 15) were over in the uk by ourselves on holiday and watched the england sweden game in a pub in liverpool. we just sat in the corner quietly and never said a word bar to each other.
In a hostel in london i watched bbc commentary of japan and brazil suroounded by about 20 brazilian teenagers screaming in portugesewhich was interesting.
The england ecuador game i watched in nike town off oxford st in london which was weird cause their was **** all english in it, just tourists and for some reason alot of ecudorians. we all just sat on the ground in the middle off the shop watching a big screen tv.
Those are my weirdest moments all happening in the last month.

ger121
17/07/2006, 12:11 AM
Had to go into a gym at my ex girlfriends cousins place in Minneapolis at 6am in the morning to watch the Ireland v Saudi Arabia match during the 2002 WC. It was the only place I knew that had ESPN. I looked a right weirdo standing there watching the match and jumping up and down when we scored with a bunch of Americans working out at the same time. They must have thought I was mad!!!

Poor Student
17/07/2006, 12:26 AM
While in Slovenia with my girlfriend who is from there, I listened to the 2nd leg of Celtic v Artmedia Bratislava online on Radio Slovakia (as you can't get BBC Radio Sco outside of the UK online) and got her to translate as best she could. Despite the similar names and flags of the two countries, the languages aren't very much alike.

As far as the eL is concerned, the poster here called Reiteoir has played commentary to me on voice over Yahoo messenger (I reckon I heard his mother or wife calling him for tea one time:p) from his home in South England of RTE radio on a Friday night when I'm over in Ljubljana. I've also listened to updates of UCD v Waterford online of local radio and full coverage Dundalk v UCD in the League Cup on Dundalk radio.

I had a very exciting experience with aertel online last season when we scored two last minute goals to put Shels out of the League Cup. The equaliser was updated 10 mins after the end with my last resigned refreshing of the page.

CharlesThompson
17/07/2006, 7:33 AM
watching the match. But i stayed till the death and scored one of them :)

kdjac

That's a bit gay.

Schumi
17/07/2006, 12:28 PM
I had to listen to FAI Cup Second Round matches on the radio in the Faroes last summer. The lengths you have to go to to avoid watching Dublin City. :D

RĂ©iteoir
17/07/2006, 12:58 PM
While in Slovenia with my girlfriend who is from there, I listened to the 2nd leg of Celtic v Artmedia Bratislava online on Radio Slovakia (as you can't get BBC Radio Sco outside of the UK online) and got her to translate as best she could. Despite the similar names and flags of the two countries, the languages aren't very much alike.

As far as the eL is concerned, the poster here called Reiteoir has played commentary to me on voice over Yahoo messenger (I reckon I heard his mother or wife calling him for tea one time:p) from his home in South England of RTE radio on a Friday night when I'm over in Ljubljana. I've also listened to updates of UCD v Waterford online of local radio and full coverage Dundalk v UCD in the League Cup on Dundalk radio.

I had a very exciting experience with aertel online last season when we scored two last minute goals to put Shels out of the League Cup. The equaliser was updated 10 mins after the end with my last resigned refreshing of the page.

aye - that was me mother :D

If you need the service again anytime - just let me know

bigmac
17/07/2006, 12:59 PM
Had to go into a gym at my ex girlfriends cousins place in Minneapolis at 6am in the morning to watch the Ireland v Saudi Arabia match during the 2002 WC. It was the only place I knew that had ESPN. I looked a right weirdo standing there watching the match and jumping up and down when we scored with a bunch of Americans working out at the same time. They must have thought I was mad!!!

Watched an international match (can't remember who we were playing) sitting on a rowing machine in a gym - the place had big screens but wouldn't let in anyone to just watch the match - you had to be working out - I'd say I rowed about 100m in two hours!

green-blood
17/07/2006, 1:10 PM
try watching brazil get beaten by france in brazil - not happy campers, the TV presenters were in tears at the end of the France game, openly sobbing, you wont get that from giles and dunphy, they spent the previous day out on the streets because Argentina had been beaten..

They conforted themselves that Argentina had been eliminaged beofre them, they didnt see the funny side that techincally as the Argentine qtr went to extra time that they lasted longer in the comp than Brazil!!! They then decided to support Portugal in the semis, and the third place gam....so all in all a bad few weeks for them...

anyway its back to the league here straight away, soem huge teams with huge rivalries

A few years ago I was living away for work when Rovers played Dundalk in a cup semi (and were soundly beaten 4-0) anyway with the use of a company mobile phone I rang home, the Mrs put our house phone beside the TV and I listened to RTEs Tv commentary on the train home to the hotel from work.... never did get a bill for the 100 minute phone call!!!

Poor Student
17/07/2006, 1:13 PM
aye - that was me mother :D

If you need the service again anytime - just let me know

:D

Cheers mate, it's much appreciated.

Ronnie
17/07/2006, 1:30 PM
Watched Ireland V Germany in an Austrian bookies - only non Austrians there and when Ireland equalised the place erupted!