PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Question Regarding Junior Clubs

Réiteoir
15/07/2006, 10:28 AM
Based on honours, history (recent and otherwise), facilities and other factors - which clubs would be near the top of the list for joining the eL proper if the gates were opened and cash was no problem.

A good list of about 5 or 6 would do nicely with data to back up the nomination

lim abroad
15/07/2006, 1:13 PM
fairview rangers would have to be one,6 fai's in last 10 years 7 overall,excellent clubhouse and pitches,plenty of room for developement there and a good underage set up too.7 of the current limerick fc team have played for fairview

drummerboy
15/07/2006, 2:02 PM
Belgrove, playing out of Whitehall, money is no problem after selling their grounds for over £8 million about 5 years ago.
Drumcondra, playing out of Morton Stadium, cash would be a problem though.
Arklow Town, superb facilities, stand on one side of ground, not seating yet.

Soccer Lover
03/08/2006, 7:58 PM
St James Gate - The FAI messed up when they expelled them in the first place - fact (the High Court said so) so the if they applied the FAI would be morally obliged to let them back in. Look at whats happening ith them and Skerries Town in the LSL, the Gate have won an appeal with the FAI (atoning for their earlier **** up) or so it would seem. Ground EL standard

Belgrove - lots of money to splash around (above)

I don't agree with Drums, theres talk that Shels are in talks with Fingal County Council about the use of Morton Stadium after they sell Tolka, Drums could be out on their ear.

Fairview in Limerick, predgree - could also use Jackman Park.

Pike in Limerick - ground has already been used for EL

drummerboy
03/08/2006, 8:08 PM
I don't agree with Drums, theres talk that Shels are in talks with Fingal County Council about the use of Morton Stadium after they sell Tolka, Drums could be out on their ear.

Haven't Drumcondra played in Morton Stadium when Dublin City and Shamrock Rovers played there. However I don't think they would be interested in the EL at the moment.

tipp man
03/08/2006, 9:27 PM
Can a case be made for a South Tipperary team along the lines of Kildare County?

Soccer Lover
03/08/2006, 9:44 PM
Haven't Drumcondra played in Morton Stadium when Dublin City and Shamrock Rovers played there. However I don't think they would be interested in the EL at the moment.

Can't see Shels wanting that, if they sell tolka, they won't need cash thus no need to sub-lease the stadium to another club - just a thought.

Thunderblaster
03/08/2006, 10:04 PM
Would St Michael's be up to the task? Tralee Dynamoes? Mullingar Athletic?

Soccer Lover
03/08/2006, 10:12 PM
Would be great to see all them in there, all areas are under represented in the EL, with no clubs within a 20 mile radius. Pity all this is only theory

allab
04/08/2006, 2:59 PM
fairview rangers would have to be one,6 fai's in last 10 years 7 overall,excellent clubhouse and pitches,plenty of room for developement there and a good underage set up too.7 of the current limerick fc team have played for fairview

have all the facilities but dont think the current team they have would last prob the worst view team in 10 years

Trainee
04/08/2006, 3:14 PM
Too many clubs in dublin as it stands now I think it will be a bad idea to add anymore to the EL

But feck all junior clubs outside dublin will have facilities and money to be able to join EL

maybe some clubs in limerick may be able to join but would limerick have enough soccer support to make two or three clubs in EL viable(I dont think so)

I honsetly think the three teams with the greatest chance of joining EL would be
Mayo League
Kerry League
Mullingar Town

drummerboy
04/08/2006, 11:41 PM
I could be wrong but I always thought that the club with money in Mullingar was Athletic. Although Town have been around a lot longer and have decent facilities, (presuming they have new dressing-rooms), Athletic were more dynamic and in a very short space of time produced a great footballing facility, maybe not ready for EL yet.

Soccer Lover
05/08/2006, 8:33 PM
The reality is that only Belgrove have the necessary cash (but for how long) to participate in the EL. The Gate are owed one from the FAI, after that, unless someone like JP McManus gets involved no other club in their right mind would want to participate.

The original thread asked for a list based on number of criteria honours etc, and all suggestions above have there merits, I would think really that the EL should be streamed down, and a number of Dublin Clubs should merge (however unpalatable that might be for fans). Clubs outside the capital should market themselves more aggressively in order to secure full houses.

Stadia also need to be improved (Hogan Park in Limerick in not even Junior club level – all it has is a wall around it) to meet a decent standard (UEFA preferably) and a limit should be set for the first few years on club spending. The FAI should help clubs financially. The EL is the pinnacle of soccer in this country and the FAI should market this product accordingly. A scaled down league could then improve to a level where in can be challenging in the Champions League group stages on a regular basis. This in turn will lead to our best players remaining here and not getting the next plane to England. A bit of forward planning and it is possible, can you imagine Champion League football in Dublin/Cork/Limerick/Galway/Sligo etc. If only the powers that be ha the foresight.