PDA

View Full Version : How many older Brothers do you have?

strangeirish
14/07/2006, 4:08 PM
Case study (http://www.webmd.com/content/article/124/115571.htm) and for the record, I'm the oldest. :D

Plastic Paddy
14/07/2006, 6:05 PM
Saw that one about a month ago. Of the straw poll I conducted at the time among our gay friends (of whom there were seven present) there are four who are eldest brothers, each with between one and three siblings (mix), one elder brother with one (West Ham-supporting and very straight) younger brother, one only child and only one with older brothers.

As Benjamin Franklin once said, "there are lies, damned lies and statistics"... :D

:ball: PP

superfrank
14/07/2006, 6:14 PM
For the record I have two older brothers and I'm heterosexual.

SligoBrewer
15/07/2006, 11:13 PM
oldest

John83
16/07/2006, 12:32 AM
Saw that one about a month ago. Of the straw poll I conducted at the time among our gay friends (of whom there were seven present) there are four who are eldest brothers, each with between one and three siblings (mix), one elder brother with one (West Ham-supporting and very straight) younger brother, one only child and only one with older brothers.

As Benjamin Franklin once said, "there are lies, damned lies and statistics"... :D

:ball: PP That's right PP, your seven sample survey is sure to be more representative than 1000 odd. :p

Of course, you could attack the results on actually relevant grounds. For example, all of their straight subjects were college students. The gay subjects weren't necessarilly so. That could mean that the results were entirely down eldest brothers being more likely to go to college. There are financial reasons that might be true, and more importantly, it's already been demonstrated (though I'm too lazy to look up the study now) that eldest brothers are smarter on average than the next one down (and also for younger brothers too, though less so).

I'm the eldest too, for the record, and straight.

sligoman
16/07/2006, 1:08 AM
I'm the youngest of two boys:o. But I'm straight, honest:).

Drumcondra Red
16/07/2006, 9:31 AM
Grand... No brothers... 3 sisters though...

The Stars
16/07/2006, 10:08 AM
oldest.......

liam88
16/07/2006, 1:31 PM
For the record I have two older brothers and I'm heterosexual.

Snap :D

DmanDmythDledge
17/07/2006, 5:01 PM
I have one brother and I'm the youngest.

gay
I prefer saying as straight as a roundabout

eamoss
17/07/2006, 5:16 PM
Im the youngest of 3 but im the only male!

Plastic Paddy
17/07/2006, 5:17 PM
That's right PP, your seven sample survey is sure to be more representative than 1000 odd.

Of course, you could attack the results on actually relevant grounds. For example, all of their straight subjects were college students. The gay subjects weren't necessarilly so. That could mean that the results were entirely down eldest brothers being more likely to go to college. There are financial reasons that might be true, and more importantly, it's already been demonstrated (though I'm too lazy to look up the study now) that eldest brothers are smarter on average than the next one down (and also for younger brothers too, though less so).

If I need a lesson on statistical significance, I'll go back to my undergraduate classes, thanks.

I can only comment on that which I see and, as I don't know 1,000 gay men, I had to limit my lines of enquiry to those gay men I do know. I feel no need to attack the results of the survey (my post was based on observations made rather than an attempt at disproving the research) and I'd rather leave it to those with the time and inclination to do so. But, as you admitted in your own reply, that rules you out since you're too lazy to provide the requisite evidence. Which I guess makes your reply as scientific and *ahem* relevant as mine. :rolleyes:

In other words, if what you have to say supplants or disproves what I had to say, then fire away. If not, close the door on your way out.

I'm the eldest too, for the record, and straight.

That's right John, you've completely undermined your own dissection of my story by telling us that. Nice one. :rolleyes:

John83
17/07/2006, 10:06 PM
I feel no need to attack the results of the survey...
You give an example of how the survey result doesn't agree with your experience.
You quote the "lies, damned lies and statistics" cliché.
Of course you weren't attacking the survey. I hope you don't show that level of support to friends and family.

But, as you admitted in your own reply, that rules you out since you're too lazy to provide the requisite evidence. Which I guess makes your reply as scientific and *ahem* relevant as mine. :rolleyes:
That's right PP, I need to quote relevant published research to suggest on a message board that something is junk science. :rolleyes:

In other words, if what you have to say supplants or disproves what I had to say, then fire away. If not, close the door on your way out.
Yeah, I do: your post doesn't say what you claim it does, and your response was childish, hinting at your vast knowledge of the subject, dismissing my point with a half-arsed counter and using an arrogant and frankly pathetic line to dismiss me.

strangeirish
17/07/2006, 10:25 PM
Are you two brothers and if so, who is the oldest?

I'll get me coat with that one....:D
(Didn't mean to start a flame war lads)
*Getting taxi on that one too*

Plastic Paddy
18/07/2006, 6:15 AM
You give an example of how the survey result doesn't agree with your experience.
You quote the "lies, damned lies and statistics" cliché.

It was a small attempt at humour and obviously wasted on you. In any case I'd have thought the words "straw poll" gave the basis of my report away.

Of course you weren't attacking the survey. I hope you don't show that level of support to friends and family.

No, merely pointing out that its findings were at odds with the experiences of those I know. And just what do you mean by that second sentence?

That's right PP, I need to quote relevant published research to suggest on a message board that something is junk science.

You were the one that went down the road of deeper analysis in the first place in finding "actually relevant grounds" to attack the survey. In doing so you happily rubbished my post and then you wonder why I respond with a certain vigour?

your post doesn't say what you claim it does, and your response was childish, hinting at your vast knowledge of the subject, dismissing my point with a half-arsed counter and using an arrogant and frankly pathetic line to dismiss me.

Touché.

That's exactly how I felt when reading your reply to my original post.