PDA

View Full Version : Bright start to eL season

pete
09/07/2002, 11:08 AM
IT review of first weekend (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2002/0709/loi1.htm)

A whole article with no bad news!

:eek:

Jaime
09/07/2002, 12:45 PM
Indeed, but if only the games could be played at the same time EVERY weekend.
:(

Macy
09/07/2002, 12:57 PM
That's fine but, as always I'll use Longford as the example, Friday nights would simply reduce crowds at the Flansiro - too much of the match going population work/study/live in Dublin or Galway..... with the state of the traffic down on a Friday night, even an 8pm kick off would be unachievable..... And once (if ever) Rovers move in to Tallaght I think they're restricted to 4 or 5 night matches a season.....

Schumi
09/07/2002, 1:00 PM
Having all the matches on Saturday would be great. Friday night games don't leave enough time for pre-match drinks and are a pain in the ass for travelling for the few games outside Dublin that are left.

Jaime
09/07/2002, 1:05 PM
Saturday 3pm, I think a lot of people would agree with it, its a great traditional time for games, all we need is for someone influential to suggest it.

Macy
09/07/2002, 1:12 PM
I totally agree with 3pm Saturday afternoon kick off's...... like you say we need someone influential to suggest it and Ollie and Dolo to just accept the decision........ I actually don't see the problem with games on Friday and Saturday - it's muppet clubs playing on Thursdays and Mondays that are the real problem..... surely now with a summer season, Sundays are out (up against the bog ball!!!!)......

pete
09/07/2002, 1:17 PM
I suppose clubs don't have bit enough attendances to be choosey with their homes days & times. Maybe if attendances up in a couple of years can try to get all games at same time. I agree with removal of weekend matches from thursdays & mondays as first target though.

Hard to judge friday nights at turners cross as will obviously be a novelty to start with.

Attendances seem to have been good for the first weekend without any FAI publicity so hopefully. Be interesting to see if the WC has brought out any new supporters.....

Jaime
09/07/2002, 1:30 PM
I think it probably has, but as you say it could be a novelty. However, crowds at Cork and Drogheda are very very promising.

joe
09/07/2002, 3:52 PM
what about 6.00pm on a saturday, once we move to summer soccer proper

Colm
10/07/2002, 12:47 PM
The problem with 3pm on a saturday is that a lot of the armchair supporters would rather stay home and watch soccer saturday to see how "their" team are getting on in the premiership.:rolleyes:
I think that Friday night is probabley the best time because people will go to games for lack of anything else to do.

Schumi
10/07/2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by joe
what about 6.00pm on a saturday, once we move to summer soccer proper

Aren't the GAA loser matches on then?

pete
10/07/2002, 1:07 PM
If we want to move in on the Premiership territory for the summer maybe move to 4pm on a sunday as that seems to be the time irish "football" supporters associate with football (in the pub).

:rolleyes: