PDA

View Full Version : Ger Cannings' GAA Nuances while commentating on "Soccer"

Block G Raptor
13/07/2006, 8:54 AM
Anyone else notice Ger Cannings' turn of phrase when commenting on Cork v Appollon last night. heres some I noticed.
1.He called a Throw in a Sideline Ball
2.The Apollon Right Winger was constantly described as a Wing Half
3.Billy Woods with a Great Score
4. He took his SCORE very well indeed
5. A long Ball punted up towards the Apollon Full Forward Line
I mean for Christs sake if the man is going to Commentate on "Soccer" the least he can do is learn the terminology :rolleyes: :mad:

el punter
13/07/2006, 9:06 AM
There's non-stop 'saw-ker' references on the GAA commentaries also, so its a 2 way street

Poor Student
13/07/2006, 9:08 AM
I had the volume down so I missed this stuff. That's hilarious Block G, good stuff. I said earlier, he called their Slovenian winger a Slovakian too.

manic da hoop
13/07/2006, 9:26 AM
...and how many times did Pat Morley use the line "ya know, it's a worry" throughout the first half.

Réiteoir
13/07/2006, 9:30 AM
tbh if there's no radio coverage of the game then a case for Gabriel Egan and Eoin Hand to do the commentary?

rerun
13/07/2006, 9:30 AM
Did he go through a phase of calling all the Cork players "George"?

Poor Student
13/07/2006, 9:31 AM
tbh if there's no radio coverage of the game then a case for Gabriel Egan and Eoin Hand to do the commentary?

When RTÉ did about one eL game a year they used to use Eoin Hand.

Jerry The Saint
13/07/2006, 10:09 AM
It's even worse during the Olympics when he gives the same treatment to volleyball/handball/weightlifting (!).

The sad thing is, he's rubbish as a GAA commentator as well!

pete
13/07/2006, 10:21 AM
I was at the game so didn't hear him but he always does that type of commentary.

How would George Hamilton commentate on Gaelice football? ;)

Red&White
13/07/2006, 10:57 AM
About 5 minutes after Cork had scored:

"Cork concievably could get a second goal...(Thinks hard for a second) ...or Appolon could equalise."

joeSoap
13/07/2006, 11:03 AM
tbh if there's no radio coverage of the game then a case for Gabriel Egan and Eoin Hand to do the commentary?There was radio coverage on LW/MW.....With Gabriel and Eoin no doubt..

Block G Raptor
13/07/2006, 11:07 AM

"Cork concievably could get a second goal...(Thinks hard for a second) ...or Appolon could equalise."
wasn't that Appolon could concievably equalise:eek:
he's a complete Tool

Roverstillidie
13/07/2006, 11:26 AM
didnt he say something along the lines of the manager takes training in english and the goalkeeper coach translates into iraqi. despite the fact there is no such language and they speak arabic in iraq? no wonder they lost with those sorts of communication problems :D

was he trying to make some form of bigoted point with the gahisms or is he just a useless commentator?

Schumi
13/07/2006, 11:47 AM
was he trying to make some form of bigoted point with the gahisms or is he just a useless commentator?
Probably both.

NY Hoop
13/07/2006, 11:59 AM

LOL! What a ****. But what do you expect from rtengland?

KOH

BohDiddley
13/07/2006, 12:01 PM
Moan, moan, moan.
It was infinitely better than any other commentary on offer.

Macy
13/07/2006, 12:26 PM
It was infinitely better than any other commentary on offer.
Better than the RTE Radio commentary? Only if they had Joe Duffy covering for Egan last night....

BohDiddley
13/07/2006, 12:36 PM
Fair point. I should have said TV commentary.

Armando
13/07/2006, 12:57 PM
Another gem of Gers was: 'Cork recycle the play well'. I love that one, sounds so weird when talking about football. He used it a number of occasions.

ConorE
13/07/2006, 1:48 PM
There's non-stop 'saw-ker' references on the GAA commentaries also, so its a 2 way street

Considering there are about 300 million people playing 'soccer' or football in the world and about 200k playing Irish Basketball, it is NOT a '2 way street'. Football is the world game, Gah is a parochial game that should in no way damage or impinge on the dialogue that is used in football.

Canning is a total wakner and should not be allowed on football matches. Saying that, George has lost his mind and his pronunciations are off the wall to put it mildly. Maloney is the best by a mile.

gspain
13/07/2006, 2:30 PM
Ger actually played football during his time in UCC. He was a decent keeper albeit befor emy time there.

George H is a decent commentator but he didn't know the EL. Daragh Moloney is definitely the best bet for domestic football.

Sniffer
13/07/2006, 3:14 PM
Was going to say I'm just glad it was live , but coverage was so naff it just made everything look amateur; therefor any casual observers would have tuned out tout suite to watch a better comedy.

BohsPartisan
13/07/2006, 3:33 PM
Awful coverage and Turners Cross looks awfull on TV especially in daylight and now that the shed is gone.

Raheny Red
13/07/2006, 4:46 PM
And how many times did he say that Apollen were unique, due to the fact that they are the only team in this season's CL unbeaten from last season's European leagues!

Sheridan
13/07/2006, 4:57 PM
Maloney is a gurgling imbecile and almost as ignorant as Hamilton (whose boundless enthusiasm redeems him somewhat.)

And how many times did he say that Apollen were unique, due to the fact that they are the only team in this season's CL unbeaten from last season's European leagues!
It's certainly nothing to be sneezed at!

Raheny Red
13/07/2006, 5:05 PM
It's certainly nothing to be sneezed at!

Oh yes, I know that :) fair play, but he said it 3/4 times!

el punter
13/07/2006, 10:56 PM
Canning is a total wakner and should not be allowed on football matches. Saying that, George has lost his mind and his pronunciations are off the wall to put it mildly. Maloney is the best by a mile.

Excuse the poorly researched post as I cant put a name on the guy....but there is an Irish guy commentating on football on BBC Radio who is excellent. I listened to him on BBC Digital while watching on of England's World Cup prep games.

How did this guy slip past RTE - and does anyone know his name?

gustavo
13/07/2006, 11:03 PM
Conor McNamara (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/biographies/biogs/radiofivelive/conor_mcnamara.shtml) son of DJ Mick
Used to commentate for TV3
never really liked him for some reason
seems to have developed an English accent since working for the BBC.
George H for me every time cant stand Maloney or Alkin

el punter
13/07/2006, 11:12 PM
Conor McNamara (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/biographies/biogs/radiofivelive/conor_mcnamara.shtml) son of DJ Mick

Maith an fear Gustavo

BohDiddley
14/07/2006, 9:50 AM
Also poorly researched... can't remember his name, but the young guy who did the commentaries for the Setanta Cup is good.
Cool head and knows what he is talking about.

Jerry The Saint
14/07/2006, 10:27 AM
[Used to commentate for TV3

Nah, he had that fake accent before he moved over. It's quite comical to hear him talking in his real-life, heavy Limerick accent - I can see why he hides it :p

Quality picture on that page though:D .

bennocelt
15/07/2006, 10:19 AM
It's even worse during the Olympics when he gives the same treatment to volleyball/handball/weightlifting (!).

The sad thing is, he's rubbish as a GAA commentator as well!

yeah i find it hard to listen to ger canning, he is useless
pretty much all of RTE;s commentators are rubbish, i usually switch to BBC and then turn back for the panels, i notic a lot of people do that

bennocelt
15/07/2006, 10:42 AM

yeah thats true, he even talks about himself as if he is british now, ******

lofty9
21/07/2006, 12:33 PM
In injury time in the Appoel v Cork game....

" We are in the 3rd minute of lost time". :eek:

Block G Raptor
21/07/2006, 1:02 PM
In injury time in the Appoel v Cork game....

" We are in the 3rd minute of lost time". :eek:
Just Beat me to It Lofty

Poor Student
21/07/2006, 11:52 PM
I had the volume down so I missed this stuff. That's hilarious Block G, good stuff. I said earlier, he called their Slovenian winger a Slovakian too.

For the second week he announced Barun as a Slovakian, not a Slovenian. How do you make the same mistake two weeks running?:confused:

gustavo
22/07/2006, 12:09 AM
For the second week he announced Barun as a Slovakian, not a Slovenian. How do you make the same mistake two weeks running?:confused:
Presumaby by not being corrected on it:)

pete
22/07/2006, 9:42 PM
For anyone concerned write an email complaint to RTE - they reply will be worth waiting or. "Sure name mistakes happen all the time...." :D :eek: :rolleyes:

JW.
22/07/2006, 9:58 PM
The most oft-used of Ger Canning's is "off-side situation", which I've never really heard before and it actually gets rather irritating. "Lost time" as well almost seems to add some sort of sentimental melancholy.
Ger Canning is a genuinely nice fellow by all accounts but he's a very poor football commentator. Darragh Maloney is at best average. The best of them is probably TV3/Setanta's Des Curran.

BohDiddley
24/07/2006, 10:59 AM
The best of them is probably TV3/Setanta's Des Curran.
Agreed. He's the one whose name I couldn't remember earlier.