PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Whelan Transfer Listed

TheOwl
12/07/2006, 3:04 PM
As a Wednesday fan, I'm disappointed by this, I was always impressed when I saw him play, but those who saw him a lot more than me have said that he was rubbish for most of last season.

From www.swfc.co.uk

Whelan Transfer Listed

Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock has made Glenn Whelan available for transfer following Yoann Folly's arrival at Hillsborough earlier on Wednesday.

Folly's signing has taken the Owls towards the top of their player budget for 2006-07 and, with a goalkeeper still to sign, Whelan has been placed on the transfer list and will be allowed to leave the club.

Sturrock exclusively told swfc.co.uk: "I was delighted to sign Yoann but it means we have to look at trimming the squad to keep us within budget. We have several options in midfield now, so it would be to the benefit of both Glenn and Sheffield Wednesday if he were to move on to find more regular first-team football."

Folly adds competition for places to a midfield line-up which also includes fellow new signing Kenny Lunt, Burton O'Brien, Steve Adams, Chris Brunt and Wade Small. Marcus Tudgay, Lee Bullen, John Hills, David Graham and former scholar Sean McAllister also figured for the Owls in midfield last season

OwlsFan
12/07/2006, 5:29 PM
Yes, I share your sentiments but his performances, while not rubbish, had seriously declined. Bad blow for us Irish Wednesdayites but even worse news as an Irish supporter as our search for a class central midfielder continues.

drinkfeckarse
13/07/2006, 11:29 AM
Never saw him play but it doesn't say much if Sturrock rates Lee Bullen ahead of him....

Dr. Ogba
13/07/2006, 2:14 PM
Remember seeing himself and Darren Potter running the midfield for the u21's a couple of years ago (could have been against Scotland) and was very impressed with both of them, thought I was looking at the future Irish midfield....how things change so quickly...

Stuttgart88
14/07/2006, 10:18 AM
Hmmm. My predictions that Glenn will captain Ireland one day look a bit fanciful now!

Elegant player, great passer of a ball and excellent ball striker. Chris Kamara on SKY loves him. Hopefully he'll find his feet.

NeilMcD
14/07/2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah any time I saw him I thought he looked good if a little slow.

Soper
15/07/2006, 1:43 AM
I wouldn't worry too much.Sturrock's hardly the best judge of a players ability is he!

eirebhoy
15/07/2006, 11:22 AM
Sturrock really rated him while most of the Wednesday fans didn't. I actually think Sturrock still rates him highly but he just hasn't been performing.

paul_oshea
15/07/2006, 2:45 PM
did anyone read the irish post article on him and what keen said about him?!?!

dr_peepee
16/07/2006, 6:50 AM
Will he get a move to another Championship club or have to go back to league one, do you reckon??....

livehead1
16/07/2006, 10:52 AM
would have thought nottingham forest would be interested in him should they fail to sign peter wittingham from villa

Stuttgart88
17/07/2006, 7:17 AM
did anyone read the irish post article on him and what keen said about him?!?!No, can you post it here?

Livehead, the guy who sits next to me at work David Kerslake's cousin. David is Calderwoods's Asst Mgr at Forest. They're extremely optimistic to say the least!

paul_oshea
17/07/2006, 9:48 AM
stutts i cant unfortunately, its not online.
Keane was praising him, but the article was obviouslly written before they knew he was transfer listed etc. I will write it up later on this evening if i get a chance.

irish tricky
20/07/2006, 10:55 AM
No, can you post it here?

Livehead, the guy who sits next to me at work David Kerslake's cousin. David is Calderwoods's Asst Mgr at Forest. They're extremely optimistic to say the least!

Is that optimistic about signing Whelan or Whittingham. I would like Whelan, from what i have seen of him he could easily do a job at Foreat and provide good competition to what is a poor enough midfield with Holt, Clingan, Perch and Thomo there at the moment

Stuttgart88
20/07/2006, 12:08 PM
I don't know. Whelan looked very good at League One level.. The "Thomo" you refer to: is that John Thompson?

irish tricky
20/07/2006, 1:43 PM
Yeah our very own JT, John Thompson. Not a center half, not a right back, best position is midfield in my opinion. He reminds me of John O Shea, jack of all trades, master of none.

Stuttgart88
20/07/2006, 2:03 PM
I remember he played midfield quite a bit the year you nearly made the playoffs.