PDA

View Full Version : Estonia

paul_oshea
12/07/2006, 12:27 PM
has anyone lived here? if so can they give me some info? I have been reading up quite a bit about it, how it has based its economic policy on ireland, and how its become known as the "baltic tiger" a pun i assume on the celtic tiger, and much more.

anyhow im just looking for general information on demographics ( hotspot, densley populated locations, areas near unis etc), that i find is better known from someone who has been there, than some flawed explanation on wikipedia et al.:)

Peadar
12/07/2006, 12:47 PM
Visited there while I was working in Helsinki.
Short ferry trip across to the capital, Tallinn.
The old town is very beautiful.
Friendly people and some of the most stunning women I've ever seen.
Like so many other cities in that part of the world, you'd have to be sure where you're going if you're getting a taxi. They have a habit of taking tourists to brothels instead of their hotel and then charging them for the extra long trip back to their hotel.

sligoman
12/07/2006, 12:58 PM
They have a habit of taking tourists to brothels instead of their hotel and then charging them for the extra long trip back to their hotel.Is that your excuse anyway?:p.

paul_oshea
12/07/2006, 4:28 PM
ya not particularly looking at that sorta thing, but is anywhere in walking distance etc? as in is everywhere a short distance from everywhere. whats the longest it would take you to get from the furthest point north to the furthest south etc.

strangeirish
12/07/2006, 5:22 PM
whats the longest it would take you to get from the furthest point north to the furthest south etc.
Well that distance is approx 150 miles, so with that in mind, the average person walks at 3mph. Therefore, it should take you, oh let's say, 2.0833333 days, roughly, like.:D

You asked for that O'Shea!!!

Peadar
13/07/2006, 8:15 AM
Therefore, it should take you, oh let's say, 2.0833333 days, roughly, like.:D

You asked for that O'Shea!!!

Have you included sleep and breaks in that time?

Paul, your question doesn't make any sense.
What are you on about, like?

paul_oshea
13/07/2006, 8:49 AM
i meant in tallinn, basically what i meant if you are dropped anywhere in tallin, is anywhere in walking distance from anywhere else.

basically im looking to buy a gaffe out there and am trying to find out vital information, but i hoped there was someone on here who had actually lived there. i have done quite a lot of research on crime rates, price, unis, infrastructure and investment, birth rates etc. The one thing that I feel needs to be answered by someone who has lived there is the demographics of estonia and the city of tallinn itself.

Green Tribe
13/07/2006, 11:30 AM
i meant in tallinn, basically what i meant if you are dropped anywhere in tallin, is anywhere in walking distance from anywhere else.

basically im looking to buy a gaffe out there and am trying to find out vital information, but i hoped there was someone on here who had actually lived there. i have done quite a lot of research on crime rates, price, unis, infrastructure and investment, birth rates etc. The one thing that I feel needs to be answered by someone who has lived there is the demographics of estonia and the city of tallinn itself.

There's a right few Estonians floating about Ireland and the UK now, you're bound to bump into a few, no? :D Sorry don't know much about it myself, but I would imagine it would be a good buy. Why not go over there yourself on a fact-finding mission. Plenty of cheap flights now to Eastern Europe. Sorry I am of no use whatsoever...:rolleyes: :D

sligoman
13/07/2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry I am of no use whatsoever...:rolleyes: :DNo change there then:p.

paul_oshea
13/07/2006, 1:42 PM
green tribe that plan is in the pipeworks, however because i have no holidays left ( i havent been on holidays in 2.5 years btw ) until december, i havent the time to go over....obviouslly though i wouldnt buy without visiting first, but i want to have everything gathered that i can before i go, so it literally will be a couple of flying visits.

I wouldnt gurantee it being a great buy, as when the investment from outside dries up, which i gather it will in a few years ( mainly because of no increase in population looking to buy and seconly as the cost of living goes up, less stag parties/tourists etc ) you could be left with a stagnant investment, that potentially could be very hard to get rid of....it's simply a "brilliant" risk....

the ox
16/07/2006, 7:54 AM
Was on holiday there for two weeks earlier this month. Tallinn is a great city, definitely livable in. The old town is very nice. Quite Westernised, but too much so at the same time. I think most places in the city are walking distance but obviously there are suburbs. The song grounds and zoo, for example, are about 3 miles outside the centre. But I think the majority of it is walkable. And there's always trolly buses and trams going around.

Closed Account 2
16/07/2006, 4:30 PM
Been there, its good, but gets freezing from mid September right up even to late April early may.