PDA

View Full Version : Help: Fix My Leaky Shed Roof

Lionel Ritchie
11/07/2006, 4:15 PM
I've a wooden shed much like this one http://www.thegardenfactory.co.uk/imagprod/small/230.jpg in the back yard and the roof is leaking in a couple of spots on the same side.

I've tried googling to little real avail. Usually you end up on some Yankee Workshop type place with entirely US bias advising that "the cedar shingles will need to be replaced in all likelyhood so why not go native with some top quality sequioia root" ...which is all well and lovely but for the fact my shed contains no shingles and probably cost about 200 bucks in B & Q.

It's a bitumen/tar-paper covered job and it doesn't look to be in bad shape at all from outside so ...has anyone any experence in this? Should I take off the old tarpaper and put on new stuff or should I just patch the old stuff?

ye've never let me down lads ...;)

strangeirish
11/07/2006, 4:38 PM
You might want to check with a hardware shop to see if they have a sealer that can be applied. I used to have a shed something like that and put a product called 'Cool seal' on it. Easily applied with a paint roller. It's a latex based job. Keep in mind, I'm here in yankee land, but maybe you can find something like it where you live.

$Leon$
11/07/2006, 5:06 PM
Don't know how much some of that roll of stuff would cost but i'd imagine you'd be talking €40-50 max. I'd say your best bet would be replace it. Never replaced/repaired one before but i'd imagine repairing it wouldn't be worth the time and effort. When you have the stuff off try and see does the timber roof need a bit of repair. Few scrap pieces of timber and a couple of nails would do the job if there is a noticable hole in it.
Then just slap on the new roll. Job shouln't take more than an hour max.

A face
11/07/2006, 11:26 PM
No worries, not a major job. You'll have in done in 20 mins.

Look at where its leaking and try and track down what area is the problem. Get the roll of felt and torch it on. Make sure you use one piece that is long enough over the crest of the roof, go length ways (back of shed to front) so you'll have one foot on one side and one foot on the other. If you need more (you are looking for rips and tears) start with that first because its lower down the roof and you want the piece over the crest to overlap last.

When looking for the rips/tears .... if you find any just torch that a bit aswell as the sheet just might have lifted a bit. You're just melting the tar to reseal it again. Leave on the old stuff aswell being honest, you'll only have more problems if you take it off. I say this is because some of those sheds aren't the best. Having you clambering all over the roof removing old stuff isn't good for it. Your not going to be looking at whats underneath. Out of sight, out of mind.

Hope that helps

Ringo
12/07/2006, 3:16 PM
Torch on might be a bit hard for a novice (no insult intended), between the torch & then you must silver seal it. Get a roll of green mineral felt, Stick the join with a bitumen adhesive & nail the ends with clout nails. Quick & easy should get ten years out of it. Should get it in any builder’s providers. Whole lot should cost about €70