10/07/2006, 11:38 AM
Any predictions on how these will go??

City vs Appollon
Gothenburg vs Derry
Helsinki vs Drogheda

Good luck to Derry and Drogheda :)

Raheny Red
10/07/2006, 11:51 AM
Cork City -Vs- Apollon = 1-1 1st leg, 2-0 home win second leg............

Gothenburg -Vs- Derry = 2-0 and 2-0 to the Swedes

Helsinki -Vs- Drogheda = 1-0 home win 1st leg and 2-1 home win second leg

Though I hope I'm proved wrong with all my predictions above :)

Aaron
10/07/2006, 12:06 PM
Cork C -v- Apollon 1-1 at home and 2-0 Apollon away

Derry C -v- IFK Goteborg 1-1 at home and 1-2 away

Drogheda -v- Helsinki 2-1 at home and 0-2 away

ifk101
10/07/2006, 1:28 PM
Cork - Apollon (2-0 home, 0-0 away)
Göteborg - Derry (0-0 away, 1-0 home)
Helsinki - Drogheda (0-1 away, 2-0 home)

Apollon are playing the matches out-of-season - Cork will go through (I hope).

Göteborg haven't played a competitive game since mid-May, have lost their first choice centre-halves, are a club embroiled in a payment/tax scandal and are likely to underrate Derry. A tuff tie for Derry but I think they will go through.

Finnish football is of the same standard of the League of Ireland. Helsinki are having a poor season while Drogheda are near the top of the table. Helsinki arent a team to fear and are the weakest opponent drawn by a LOI club this year. Drogs to go through.

A face
10/07/2006, 2:23 PM
Apollon are playing the matches out-of-season - Cork will go through (I hope).

Göteborg haven't played a competitive game since mid-May, have lost their first choice centre-halves, are a club embroiled in a payment/tax scandal and are likely to underrate Derry. A tuff tie for Derry but I think they will go through.

Finnish football is of the same standard of the League of Ireland. Helsinki are having a poor season while Drogheda are near the top of the table. Helsinki arent a team to fear and are the weakest opponent drawn by a LOI club this year. Drogs to go through.

What he said !! :ball:

StarandCrescent
10/07/2006, 2:41 PM

Finns are above us in the uefa rankings. They are having a poor season by their usual standards, so that gives us a chance. These boys qualified for the group stages of the champions league in '98 so they are to be respected. Drogs are 7/1 to win this game. Big odds - might be worth a punt.

Good luck to Derry and Cork also.

lofty9
10/07/2006, 2:41 PM
We haven't been too good in Europe and I can't see our poor record improving. McCourt has been fantastic for us this year and I think we will miss him. Our recent away performances including Friday's have not been good, and with Forde's indicisiveness proving costly this season, a small defeat (1-0) would in my opinion be a fantastic result. Sorry for being a realist!

Krstic
10/07/2006, 2:48 PM
Have to agree with you Lofty.
I'd be well pleased to come home with a 1-0 defeat and have a go at them in the Brandywell.
:ball: :ball: :ball:

ifk101
10/07/2006, 2:59 PM
Finns are above us in the uefa rankings. They are having a poor season by their usual standards, so that gives us a chance. These boys qualified for the group stages of the champions league in '98 so they are to be respected. Drogs are 7/1 to win this game. Big odds - might be worth a punt.

Good luck to Derry and Cork also.

They have an European routine that Drogheda don't have but they have struggled to get by both an out-of-season Linfield and Glentoran in recent years and 1998 is about as relevant as 1066 in 2006.

iceman
10/07/2006, 3:05 PM
Drogs to get a result , either a 0-0 draw or a 0-1 win.

ifk101
10/07/2006, 3:06 PM
We haven't been too good in Europe and I can't see our poor record improving. McCourt has been fantastic for us this year and I think we will miss him. Our recent away performances including Friday's have not been good, and with Forde's indicisiveness proving costly this season, a small defeat (1-0) would in my opinion be a fantastic result. Sorry for being a realist!

Being realistic Göteborg are a better team than Derry - I don't think anyone questions that. But the gap between Göteborg and Derry isn't that huge and Göteborg are playing in the first qualifying round for a reason.

Dazzy
10/07/2006, 6:16 PM
Being realistic Göteborg are a better team than Derry - I don't think anyone questions that. But the gap between Göteborg and Derry isn't that huge and Göteborg are playing in the first qualifying round for a reason.

Injuries will cost us the the away leg!

el punter
10/07/2006, 8:31 PM
Injuries will cost us the the away leg!

And your dodgy keeper will cost you the home :)

anto eile
10/07/2006, 8:50 PM
can see drogheda and derry going out in the first round.
fwiw
apollon 2-1 cork
cork 2-0 apollon

goteborg 2-0 derry
derry 0-0 goteborg

droghdea 0-1 helsinki
helsinki 1-1 drogheda

CollegeTillIDie
10/07/2006, 10:24 PM
Good luck to all the clubs in Europe, so that they can do their bit to improve the country's UEFA coefficient.

Red4Eva
11/07/2006, 12:32 AM
goteborg 2-0 derry
derry 0-1 goteborg

helsinki 2-1 drogs
drogs 1-1 helsinki

cork 1-0 appolon
appolon 0-0 cork

really hope i'm wrong bout derry but i think that little spark that mccourt gives em will be missed sorely. hard to call what drogheda will do but i just don't fancy doolin's tacticswise but i still don't wanna write em off. cork have the experience and their style is most suited to european football IMO so as long rico and GOC kiss&make up i think they'll get thru reasonably handy

SPXcyan
11/07/2006, 1:36 AM
IFK Goteborg 3 - 0 Derry City
Derry City 1 - 1 IFK Goteborg
IFK are a very very good side guys!! they haven't a hope! if derry can somehow manage to win.. I be very very shocked!

HJK Helsinki 1 - 2 Drogheda Utd
Drogheda Utd 2 - 0 HJK Helsinki
HJK are a strong side.. I do believe now that Drogheda are a better team and can really dominate this fixture! they should have little problems getting passed this round. lets hope the drogheda players control their nerves.

Cork City 2 - 0 Apollon Limasol
Apollon Limasol 2 - 1 Cork City
Apollon are a very good side.. but Cork have decent experience in europe and I do believe that will help the cork players big time! and should go through this round.

Good luck to all clubs representing Ireland this week in europe.

sligoman
11/07/2006, 1:42 AM
IFK Goteborg 4-0 Derry City
Derry City 1-2 IFK Goteborg

HJK Helsinki 2-2 Drogheda Utd
Drogheda Utd 1-0 HJK Helsinki

Cork City 2-1 Apollon Limasol
Apollon Limasol 2-1 Cork City

Celdrog
11/07/2006, 7:24 AM
Plenty of confidence in the Irish teams here. Personally think we have got three tough ties.
Cork will do ok if the George / Rico stuff has little or no effect. Derry have a very tough one and will do well to go through. Drogs also have a tough one but we have a habit of doing well away from home in big games (Linfield, cup finals).

I think we will all still be in with a chance in the ties after the first leg with Cork in the best position.

Best of luck to Cork and Derry and the Drogs.

paudie
11/07/2006, 9:13 AM
Having seen Malmo and Djurgarden in the last 2 seasons I think Derry have a good chance if they play with a positive attitude.

Drogs also have a good chance as HJK aren't in great form this season.
On the bright side anything better than a 14-0 aggregate defeat will be an improvement on their previous Euro outing;)

It will be tough for City. The home leg will be crucial. It will be Apollons first game of the season so we may need to win. 2-0 would be ideal as it will be roasting in the second leg.

With a bit of luck 2 of the 3 teams should go through. We really need some coefficient points to be seeded next year.

Celdrog
11/07/2006, 10:37 AM
On the bright side anything better than a 14-0 aggregate defeat will be an improvement on their previous Euro outing;)

Well it was just our luck to be drawn against the eventual winners that year. :D

BohsFans
12/07/2006, 1:34 AM
I think:

Cork to go through.

Derry & Drogs to go out. In fairness they got tough draws.

What have HJK and IFK G. been up to in Europe the last few years does anyone know?

hoops1
12/07/2006, 10:47 AM
I predict whatever match Kelly is reffing
will have 2 players dismissed

ifk101
12/07/2006, 11:02 AM
I think:

Cork to go through.

Derry & Drogs to go out. In fairness they got tough draws.

What have HJK and IFK G. been up to in Europe the last few years does anyone know?

IFK Göteborg were knocked out and well-beaten at home by Moldovan opposition in the first round of the UEFA Cup the last time they played in Europe (2003).

HJK haven't done anything more than what you would expect from a League of Ireland side playing in Europe. They beat Linfield 1-0 home and away last year and struggled to beat Glentoran the year before.

joeSoap
12/07/2006, 11:14 AM
I was in Cyprus last year in late July and the heat was unbearable, even in the late evening. Thats what will stump City I feel. I think they need a minimum of a 2-0 tonight, with a huge emphasis on the NIL.If they get that then they've got a squeak, but its gonna be very tough. They've got the toughest tie of the three I think.

I fancy Derry to sneak thru on away goals and Drogheda to get a home draw, but to be well beaten away.

swinfordfc
13/07/2006, 7:21 AM
Good Result last night

Does that do anything to IRELAND coefficient in Europe?
Can someone put up that system again please the coefficient's

GavinZac
13/07/2006, 2:22 PM
im hoping both sides will at least hold for a draw, they're both strong defensive teams.

NY Hoop
13/07/2006, 2:35 PM
Best of luck to Derry and Drogheda tonight. Super away trips for the fans!

Crying shame that Pat McCourt is injured. Huge loss IMO.

Drogheda have a great chance to not only score their first ever European goal but of winning there. Hopefully tonight they will get rid of the record of the only Irish side never to score in Europe. They have half of our team that beat Odra so the experience is definitely there. The Finnair stadium is a lovely ground.

The fact that they are away first is a good advantage too.

I feel that Cork's 1-0 win last night wont be enough in the brutal heat in Cyprus. And dont forget Derry were embarrassed by a Cypriot side not long ago.

KOH

lofty9
14/07/2006, 8:08 AM

Humble pie never tasted so good.:o

Well done lads.

CollegeTillIDie
14/07/2006, 9:07 PM
Well done to all three clubs. These results are beneficial to the WHOLE LEAGUE! If similar results can be achieved in the return legs we are looking at Seeding in First Qualification ROunds next year!:p

Red&White
14/07/2006, 11:02 PM
with Forde's indicisiveness proving costly this season
All is forgiven.

mypost
15/07/2006, 12:37 AM
I was in Cyprus last year in late July and the heat was unbearable, even in the late evening. Thats what will stump City I feel. I think they need a minimum of a 2-0 tonight, with a huge emphasis on the NIL.its gonna be very tough. They've got the toughest tie of the three I think.

I can't see Cork hanging on out there. Limassol looked a decent side in Cork, and they will have the heat advantage over there which is effectively worth a goal's start for them.

Still, it's a nice warm trip for the Olé Olé Rebels. :D