PDA

View Full Version : Bohs are not Dutch Gold - as Derry Drink from the Cup of Victory - Series 16 Review

Réiteoir
08/07/2006, 2:22 AM
First time I've written a piece reviewing games - and it is something that will appear in a blog I'm compiling to complement my work on the Foot.ie one - so any feedback would be great...

Bohs are not Dutch Gold - as Derry Drink from the Cup of Victory - A Review of Series 16

Well, Friday night saw a slimmed down League Programme - a grand total of 6 games kicked off Series 16 - only 3 games in the Premier and 3 games in the First Division.

The most action packed game of the night - not all of it of a positive nature - came at the Home of Irish Football, Dalymount Park - where free-falling Bohemians (whose descent down the table was stopped briefly by a 3-1 win down at the RSC the previous Friday night) in 7th, took on 3rd place Derry.

A largely forgettable first half - punctuated by several attempts by Gareth Farrelly to do an Arie Haan impression by shooting whenever he got within 35 yards of David Forde's goal. His shooting, like his managerial expertise this season, was way off the mark.

However - one thing was true to form tonight - the visiting team took the lead. On 21 minutes - Mark Farren was infringed upon on the edge of the Bohemians area, leading to a free-kick for The Candystripes. Kevin Deery took it before the referee, Alan Kelly of Cork, had whistled for it to proceed, leading to a weak shot by Barry Molloy who was under pressure from 3 Bohs defenders. But somehow it found it's way past Stephen O'Brien and into the bottom corner of the net to give Derry a 1-0 lead. By all accounts it was shocking defending from the home side.

The Derry lead was to last some 20 minutes. A Farrelly free wasn't hit all that convincingly, but thanks to Vinny Arkins' pressure on David Forde, the ball found it's way inside the Derry keeper's near post and into the back of the visitors goal - "a lucky equaliser" some were heard to say.

The second half started much like the first - not much happened. However, 8 minutes in - controversy awoke and began it's exercise routine. As Derry waited to take a corner - the referee, Alan Kelly from somewhere down in the bottom right hand corner of the map, had spotted an incident in the box, ran over, cautioned the Bohemians defender Barry Ferguson for an off the ball incident, and awarded a penalty - much to the chagrin of the home team.

Once the protests had died down (those out on the pitch, not the ones eminating weekly from the Jodi calling on Mr Farrelly to "for Christ's Sake Resign") - Mark Farren stepped up to successfully convert the spot kick and give Derry a 2-1 lead.

After this Bohemians player/manager Gareth Farrelly picked up a yellow card for his protests, and worse still his midfield partner, Thomas Heary was dismissed for Foul & Abusive Language soon after.

The game finished as it had started - with the Arie Haan impressions of shooting on sight - however Bohs are not the Dutch side of the mid-1970s - so most of those didn't even trouble the keeper.

Final Score: Bohemians 1 - 2 Derry City

Just up the M1 in Drogheda, and an interesting match at United Park saw new Drogs signing Eamon Zayed, formerly or Bray Wanderers and Aalesund, making his debut for his new club against visiting St Patrick's Athletic. And he started it with a bang.

4 minutes in - and a Jason Gavin header courtesy of a Paul Keegan freekick gave the home side the perfect start. It got even better on the quarter-hour mark as the new boy marked a new chapter in his career - turning home a Shane Robinson cross to double United's advantage.

However they couldn't add to this dominance and had to settle for a 2-0 half time lead.

Pats gave a much better account of themselves in the second 45 - Alan Reilly's penalty on the hour giving the Inchicore club a glimmer of hope.
Sadly this was not to materialise as Dan Connor in the Drogheda goal pulled off several excellent saves.

The only other event of note in the second half was an injury to Match Referee Damien Hancock, who had to come off injured (a suspected hamstring pull according to RTÉ Radio's reporter) - he was replaced by Fourth Official Neil Doyle.

This win put Drogheda back on top of the Premier Division and should give them a boost as they go into their UEFA Cup tie against HJK Helsinki at the Finnair Stadium in Helsinki next Thursday.

Final Score: Drogheda United 2 - 1 St Patrick's Athletic

The only other Premier Division match played on Friday night took place at The Showgrounds, and initiated an experiment by the Sligo Rovers board to see the effect on crowds by playing their home league games on Fridays, as opposed to their regular Saturday night arrangements.

The 1,100 or so who were in the Showgrounds saw a pretty decent 2-0 win for the newly-promoted home side against the visitors Dublin City - and the home side appear to be comfortably holding their own in the Premier.

Although Freeman hit the frame of the goal for Dublin City after 21 minutes, it was Sligo who lead at half time. Almost straight away after City had hit the woodwork, a neat move by Matthew Judge and Adam Hughes led to Bosnian midfielder Fahrudin Kudozovic scoring via the aid of a post.

Sligo then doubled their lead on 36 minutes through a Garry Curran shot.

Despite a couple of chances from the visitors from the capital, Sligo ran out comfortable winners in the end.

On the negative side - Rovers lost Paul McTiernan, June's Player of the Month, to an ankle injury on 11 minutes. The extent of the injury is not yet known, but a stretcher was required to carry him off the pitch.

Final Score: Sligo Rovers 2 - 0 Dublin City

Briefly in the First Division, Dundalk comfortably beat Monaghan 3-1 at Century Homes Park in the North East Derby - Sean Finn, Philip Hughes and Chris Doran netting for Dundalk - Barry Burke replying for Monaghan from the penalty spot.

Galway United and Kildare County shared the points with a 1-1 draw at Terryland Park. Barry Moran converting a penalty for Galway after just 3 minutes, Nigel Keady scoring an own goal on the half-hour to give Kildare a point.

And finally in the top of the First Division clash at Hogan Park, Limerick FC defeated Shamrock Rovers for the second time this week 1-0 (the other victory coming in the Quarter Final of the League Cup). The all important game winning goal coming courtesy of Paul Rose.

Final Scores:
Monaghan United 3 - 1 Dundalk
Galway United 1 - 1 Kildare County
Limerick FC 1 - 0 Shamrock Rovers

Saturday night sees Longford Town vs. Cork City in the Premier Division, and Kilkenny City vs. Athlone Town plus Cobh Ramblers vs. Finn Harps in the First Division.

Sunday's action goes a small bit continental - Shelbourne play the Danish side OB Odense in the Intertoto Cup - kick off in that one is at 3pm at Tolka Park.

Finally Bray Wanderers take on UCD in the Premier on Sunday afternoon as well - kick-off at the Carlisle Grounds is 3:15pm.

Rory H
08/07/2006, 1:49 PM
work on the headline

The Stars
08/07/2006, 1:54 PM
and Gary Curran's goal was from inside the box...hardly a long range shot.

Dr.Nightdub
08/07/2006, 3:32 PM
As Derry waited to take a corner - the referee, Alan Kelly from somewhere down in the bottom right hand corner of the map, had spotted an incident in the box, ran over, cautioned the Bohemians defender Barry Ferguson for an off the ball incident, and awarded a penalty - much to the chagrin of the home team.

That's ridiculous, even by Kelly's standards. If the ball is out of play (e.g. waiting for a corner to be taken), he can't award a peno.

Soko
08/07/2006, 3:34 PM
work on the headline

Definitely

Raheny Red
08/07/2006, 3:41 PM
work on the headline

I don't get it/...................:o :confused:

BohDiddley
08/07/2006, 4:21 PM
That's ridiculous, even by Kelly's standards. If the ball is out of play (e.g. waiting for a corner to be taken), he can't award a peno.
Alan Kelly can do anything he likes, because no one is interested in stopping him. His performance last night went well beyond the normal range of reffing errors, so I don't apologise on this occasion for blaming the official. Derry were muck and deserved to come away from Dalymount with precisely nothing, but he has gifted them three points.
Last night he:
denied us a stonewall penalty when Ricer was upended in the box
gave them one for something which even the official Derry write-up has yet to identify, and when it is contended the ball was not in play
allowed Derry to take the free kick from which they scored before he blew his whistle, but after he had signalled to wait for the whistle
rules Arkins offside, when almost through on goal, from a back pass
ruled a player (Wardie) offside when he was in his own half
sent off Heary for having the timerity to object to all of the above

Raheny Red
08/07/2006, 4:41 PM
Alan Kelly can do anything he likes, because no one is interested in stopping him. His performance last night went well beyond the normal range of reffing errors, so I don't apologise on this occasion for blaming the official. Derry were muck and deserved to come away from Dalymount with precisely nothing, but he has gifted them three points.
Last night he:
denied us a stonewall penalty when Ricer was upended in the box
gave them one for something which even the official Derry write-up has yet to identify, and when it is contended the ball was not in play
allowed Derry to take the free kick from which they scored before he blew his whistle, but after he had signalled to wait for the whistle
ruled a player (Wardie) offside when he was in his own half

If you feel you have been ridden rock solid lately, please call 1800-Rico-Ridden. :) :ball: :)

OneRedArmy
08/07/2006, 4:48 PM
It was a clear penalty for Derry. Refs don't often have the balls to give it, but it was a clear pull by Ferguson and the ball WAS in play. Bear in mind it was right in front of the away support, fairly hard to see from Block B.

However, by the same token, the two-footed challenge in the first half was a penalty to Bohs (even though only contact was with the ball).

And as for the offsides, we got as many bad decisions as you did.

Blame a refereeing conspiracy all you like. You deserved a point out of the game, but as your own fans at least have the decency to say, your failure to create any chances was what ultimately cost you.

pineapple stu
08/07/2006, 4:51 PM
In fairness -

That's the linesman's error, not the ref's. Very hard for the ref to overrule offside calls as he's not looking out for them, even from a backpass.

Depends what he said. If he said enough, he deserved to be sent off.

BohDiddley
08/07/2006, 5:37 PM
It was a clear penalty for Derry. Refs don't often have the balls to give it, but it was a clear pull by Ferguson and the ball WAS in play. Bear in mind it was right in front of the away support, fairly hard to see from Block B.

However, by the same token, the two-footed challenge in the first half was a penalty to Bohs (even though only contact was with the ball).

And as for the offsides, we got as many bad decisions as you did.

Blame a refereeing conspiracy all you like. You deserved a point out of the game, but as your own fans at least have the decency to say, your failure to create any chances was what ultimately cost you.
I wasn't referring to offside decisions of the usual kind, of which there were many.
Some Bohs fans think we didn't deserve anything because of a failure to create chances. I'd put that down to high expectations. We created an awful lot more than Derry. I've gone to plenty of Bohs games in recent times when I thought that we played badly, and gave less than 100%. Last night was not one of them. Alan Kelly has a consistently appalling record in Bohs games that speaks for itself. In this, given the seeming lack of quality/integrity control in the eL reffing, he doesn't have to conspire with anyone other than himself.

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 5:37 PM
As Rafael Nadal said when asked, on BBC2 the other night by John McEnroe, why he doesn't question Umpires calls in Tennis
" They are not going to change their mind so I have to get on with playing from that point forward". Soccer players can learn a lot from that.

dfx-
08/07/2006, 5:39 PM

I was at that match last night...beside the Derry support in Block A directly in line with him...and I still can't work out what Alan Kelly saw that was undeniably a foul.

I have often said this at Rovers matches...but Alan Kelly sees things no-one else sees.:confused:

Mind you Bohs were still sh!te. :D

BohsFans
08/07/2006, 9:21 PM
The worst Derry side I've seen for a few years (heard they had some players missing though). They'll be well beaten in Europe playing like that.

Why did Derry get a peno? :confused:

btw the ball wasnt in play.

Heary called him a cheating c u n t and was sent off.

pineapple stu
08/07/2006, 10:13 PM
Fair enough. Off you go. Can't have any complaints about that.

OneRedArmy
08/07/2006, 10:24 PM
The worst Derry side I've seen for a few years (heard they had some players missing though).
And we still won. Sign of a good side.

They'll be well beaten in Europe playing like that.
We certainly will.

Why did Derry get a peno? :confused:
Read my post above.

btw the ball wasnt in play.The corner had been taken and was in the air.

BohsFans
08/07/2006, 10:41 PM
The corner had been taken and was in the air.

Ok video evidence has proved it was in the air.

What type of pull was it?

Small jersey pull? Like that pull on Niall Quinn in the WC? A wrestle?

Camera didn't catch it!

Aaron
10/07/2006, 12:26 AM
The worst Derry side I've seen for a few years (heard they had some players missing though). They'll be well beaten in Europe playing like that.

Why did Derry get a peno?

btw the ball wasnt in play.

http://www.perfessorbill.com/covers/sgrapes.jpg

BohsPartisan
10/07/2006, 9:16 AM
How many times did they attempt to assasinate joxer and wardy and get away with it?

Aaron
10/07/2006, 10:08 AM
How many times did they attempt to assasinate joxer and wardy and get away with it?

Did u happen to be at the game earlier in the season at the Brandywell? If so then you wud have seen urself wot THREE of ur players done to Mark Farren.And did i see a yellow card produce for anyone of the?? NO!! Was out for a good two months because of it!! :mad:

garyderry
10/07/2006, 10:19 AM
Ok video evidence has proved it was in the air.

What type of pull was it?

Small jersey pull? Like that pull on Niall Quinn in the WC? A wrestle?

Camera didn't catch it!

More like dragged him to the ground with both hands right in front of the assistant ref., how he expected to get away with it I dont know, and how anyone could deny a peno i dont know either, :confused: