PDA

View Full Version : Shels Players on Strike

chippie0001
07/07/2006, 5:13 PM
Just been on the radio that the Shels players have given strike notice to the club. They refused to train today and refused to play the game on Sunday unless all money due to them is paid. Ollie or Nutsy have no comment on the matter. Its with the league as it stands and the PFAI back it. Still I guess this is just a make up story as well. :rolleyes:

micls
07/07/2006, 5:16 PM
Just been on the radio that the Shels players have given strike notice to the club. They refused to train today and refused to play the game on Sunday unless all money due to them is paid. Ollie or Nutsy have no comment on the matter. Its with the league as it stands and the PFAI back it. Still I guess this is just a make up story as well. :rolleyes:

But they're not owed money???

No seriously though this is bad for the league. How unprofessional will the league look if the players refuse to play in the Odense game. Not too bothered about shels losing players but the league doesn't need any more reasons for people to laugh at it

chippie0001
07/07/2006, 5:19 PM
According to 98fm they are owed at least 2 weeks wages. According to unofficial sources some of the players are owed sign on fees etc, bonus's and that as well.

I agree it looks really bad but I have no doubt it will be sorted by Sunday for the time being, but surely Shels fans have to realise they don't have the money to have the team they do.

micls
07/07/2006, 5:21 PM
According to 98fm they are owed at least 2 weeks wages. According to unofficial sources some of the players are owed sign on fees etc, bonus's and that as well.

I agree it looks really bad but I have no doubt it will be sorted by Sunday for the time being, but surely Shels fans have to realise they don't have the money to have the team they do.

Read in a paper during the week (Star or Mirror can't remember) quotes from Fenlon saying no one would be leaving in the transfer window. Surely that can't be true if this is true.

Fair enough they don't have Kearney to pay but i doubt that will solve all the problems

Raheny Red
07/07/2006, 6:09 PM
According to FM 104, in the last few minutes Club captain Owen Heary said the players refused to train this morning and that everything is sorted out now!*

*7pm bulletin............

pete
07/07/2006, 6:13 PM
I think the shels squad is too big & even getting 2-3 players on loan wouldn't make any difference as they rarely play... 21 players used in the league already this season.

micls
07/07/2006, 6:15 PM
According to FM 104, in the last few minutes Club captain Owen Heary said the players refused to train this morning and that everything is sorted out now!*

*7pm bulletin............
Fair enough so its probably sorted for Sunday but this is obviously a bigger problem.

You cant deny the money problems anymore......What happened to the millions in investment Ollie was talking about a while back?

Raheny Red
07/07/2006, 6:20 PM
Fair enough so its probably sorted for Sunday but this is obviously a bigger problem.

You cant deny the money problems anymore......What happened to the millions in investment Ollie was talking about a while back?

He said that 2 and half weeks ago IIRC and he said that the investement will be annouced in 2-3 weeks time but me thinks he was just saying that to buy some time...............:confused:

A face
07/07/2006, 6:21 PM
Lads, can you provide sources where possible. Just dont want this to get out of hand.

Raheny Red
07/07/2006, 6:39 PM
Well it was on the Radio :)

98 FM (http://www.98fm.ie/Newsite/GENERAL/newsandsport/newsandsport.asp)

SHELS IN CRISIS
Shelbourne's European fixture against Odense this weekend must be in doubt. This morning - matters that have been brewing for some time came to a head as players refused to train. By all accounts - Shels players haven't been paid for over 2 weeks and their wage bill is well known to be the highest in the country at over 1 million per year. Recently they were investigated by the tax authorities and managed to pay off a bill of over 300,000 euro. Of course it's well known that Shels have been looking to sell their Tolka Park venue to ease the finances at this cash strapped club. Having talked to Club Secretary Ollie Byrne - who refused to comment on the issue - 98fm Sport have left a message on the voicemail of manager, Pat Fenlon but believe a meeting is due to held on the matter this evening.

Rocky27
07/07/2006, 7:05 PM
In the last two hours I've heard that Ollie Byrne claims to know nothing about it, Pat Fenlon has refused to comment and a senior player told me himself that it was all a load of rubbish. Take what you will out of that...

micls
07/07/2006, 7:07 PM
In the last two hours I've heard that Ollie Byrne claims to know nothing about it, Pat Fenlon has refused to comment and a senior player told me himself that it was all a load of rubbish. Take what you will out of that...

The first 2 are lying and the player is out of the loop(wasnt Kearney by any chance......Owen Heary knew about it alright

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2006, 7:11 PM
Well perhaps we( i.e. EL Clubs) will be forced to row back on full-time football for a few years

Gareth
07/07/2006, 7:13 PM
The first 2 are lying and the player is out of the loop(wasnt Kearney by any chance......Owen Heary knew about it alright

The first two are lying? You cant lie by refusing to comment? Eitherway, shels will train in the morning and will be playing against Odense on Sunday. That is not in any doubt. We hope you can come!!

pineapple stu
07/07/2006, 7:15 PM
He said that Ollie said (sounds like a 60s song...) that he knew nothing about it. That's different to not commenting.

micls
07/07/2006, 7:16 PM
The first two are lying? You cant lie by refusing to comment? Eitherway, shels will train in the morning and will be playing against Odense on Sunday. That is not in any doubt. We hope you can come!!
his post said Ollie Byrne claimed he knew nothing about it....he's either lying or a really bad chairman.

I would travel to Dublin to watch ye complete losing an intertoto cup tie but i have better things to do :p (for the record i wanted ye to win)

Gareth
07/07/2006, 7:20 PM
his post said Ollie Byrne claimed he knew nothing about it....he's either lying or a really bad chairman.

I would travel to Dublin to watch ye complete losing an intertoto cup tie but i have better things to do :p (for the record i wanted ye to win)

But two people lied?? :) Haha. Eitherway cheers for the wanting us to win :) I hope you hockey Limmisol (sp?)

pineapple stu
07/07/2006, 7:30 PM
Touché. ;)

kdjaC
08/07/2006, 12:52 AM
This is the killer of the money boys..They have "theatened" not to fulfil their UEFA Intertoto Cup fixture Ollie Byrne and Fenlon have declined to comment on anything really.

Irelands premier club have without a doubt proved that the EL is a complete joke and that they are truly an embarassment to football.

Thats all i can really say on the matter.

And as a Pats fan i add a Nelson Muntz styled "ha ha"

kdjac

bohs til i die
08/07/2006, 6:54 AM
Lads, can you provide sources where possible. Just dont want this to get out of hand.

what?

How can it get out of hand when it was the main story in the radio bulletins all evening

And whats all the constant calls to provide sources?

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 7:49 AM
what?

How can it get out of hand when it was the main story in the radio bulletins all evening

And whats all the constant calls to provide sources?

Cause someone's afraid of being sued .....;)

Dodge
08/07/2006, 11:21 AM
Well if this isn't true I'm personally suing a face.

Forever Dreamin
08/07/2006, 11:35 AM
lads the way things are going only a handful of clubs will survive the next few years as the revenue get tough. Rovers will survive as they have cut their cloth, Bohs will survive due to their millions from the sale of Dalyer but who else????? lubs and supporters have to get realistic and acknowledge with no real fan base or facilities professional football is a non runner. Facilities first, then you can attract the spectators. Look at the crowds going greyhound racing every week that dont have an interest in dogs, but they have a nice environment for a night out. Comfortable stadi are needed with proper facilities like clean toilets, bars, restaurants and post match entertainment etc!

Poor Student
08/07/2006, 12:24 PM
There was a rumour a few weeks ago that Shels players had refused to play Vetra unless they got paid. Someone else said that cheques had been written before they headed out and bounced when they got home.

There's a stark difference in the way that Harps and Shelbourne have handled problems of paying wages. Harps have come clean and admitted they must slash wages whereas Shelbourne have denied or refused to comment. We all seem to have known about this for about a month and Heary's comments are the first admission in an official capacity by someone from Shels.

drummerboy
08/07/2006, 1:34 PM
Shelbourne players refused to train again this morning in the AUL. As I predicted before expect to see Shels in Morton Stadiium very soon.

Poor Student
08/07/2006, 1:41 PM
Shelbourne players refused to train again this morning in the AUL. As I predicted before expect to see Shels in Morton Stadiium very soon.

Quotes from a Morton stadium official in the Fingal Indo say 3 years is the earliest they'll be out in Santry. Also says the running track will be there to stay.

What's your source and what changed from yesterday's "everything is ok now"?

drummerboy
08/07/2006, 2:17 PM
All that needs to be done in Santry is upgrading of the floodlights. The pitch has been widened already, Shels will be tennants only though. Portrane was a sham. Start of next season if not sooner.

el punter
08/07/2006, 2:23 PM
Also says the running track will be there to stay.

Was it ever suggested that the running track would be removed or that the stadium would cease to be an athletics venue? Not being niggly - just want to know if this was being discussed at all, it wouldn't be right to simply kickout Clonliffe Harriers because Shels need somewhere to play.

drummerboy
08/07/2006, 2:40 PM
Clonliffe Harriers were the original owners of Morton STadium, sold it to Fingal but remained as sitting tennants. They will always be there, it is written in stone. Besides this it is the home of Irish athletics and should remain so. If Shels can be accommodated so be it, but on Fingal Co Co terms.

Poor Student
08/07/2006, 2:47 PM
Was it ever suggested that the running track would be removed or that the stadium would cease to be an athletics venue? Not

Not sure, but preliminary negotiations were confirmed in the Fingal Indo and your man made a point of saying the track would stay.

Drummerboy, there's not enough covered seats there to meet the 1,500 seat minimum standards set down by UEFA licencing. I assume the new "Premiership" will also have a similar rule on minimum seats.

higgins
08/07/2006, 3:12 PM
If Shels were tennants in Santry who would pay for the running costs of the stadium ?

Also What contribution do Clonliffe Harriers make towards the Stadium.
You think they make enough money to have the majority say in Morton?

chippie0001
08/07/2006, 3:22 PM
Sorry but before the thread develops into Morton stadium and that do you have any backup for that allegation. Heary said it was sorted, not you are saying they did not train again today? That fact or heresay or what?

higgins
08/07/2006, 3:29 PM
Just released a statement saying everything was fine...
No details but they are happy again.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=397

Poor Student
08/07/2006, 3:32 PM
Higgins, you've been giving fans of other clubs a tough time for insisting the players weren't being paid properly. There's an obvious problem there. What do you have to say about this?

drummerboy
08/07/2006, 3:33 PM
My source about the training session came from someone who was up in the AUL this morning. Just repeating what he told me.

higgins
08/07/2006, 3:35 PM
What ??

He was up in the AUL and didnt see any shels players so made up they didnt train :D

They have just said everything was ok

A face
08/07/2006, 8:52 PM
Well if this isn't true I'm personally suing a face.

I'd then sue Shels for even getting into this mess !! :p

LeixlipRed
09/07/2006, 12:18 AM
I'm getting sick of the lack of information coming out of my own club. That statement today was released by the players and staff. It had nothing to do with club. If anyone on here (shels fan or not) believes that whatever problems were there this week were fixed in one day then they're not grounded in reality at all. It's sad that there are problems at our club and it's even sadder that the club won't even have the courtesy to inform the fans of the details. We pay the money to keep Ollie in business and the ****** wont even come clean and admit we have problems. Obviously, this is not something new but I'm gradually growing more and more suspicious that Ollie cares nothing for the fans of Shelbourne. I've had my suspicions for years obviously but everything he does alienates me. The club could be a day from going under and it's more likely I'll find out about it on EL Weekly then from the club. Pfft

Réiteoir
09/07/2006, 1:01 AM
I'm getting sick of the lack of information coming out of my own club. That statement today was released by the players and staff. It had nothing to do with club. If anyone on here (shels fan or not) believes that whatever problems were there this week were fixed in one day then they're not grounded in reality at all. It's sad that there are problems at our club and it's even sadder that the club won't even have the courtesy to inform the fans of the details. We pay the money to keep Ollie in business and the ****** wont even come clean and admit we have problems. Obviously, this is not something new but I'm gradually growing more and more suspicious that Ollie cares nothing for the fans of Shelbourne. I've had my suspicions for years obviously but everything he does alienates me. The club could be a day from going under and it's more likely I'll find out about it on EL Weekly then from the club. Pfft

At last a note of sanity from a Shels fan - at least the big bag of sand hasn't been delivered to County Kildare yet

Gareth
09/07/2006, 8:28 AM
The statement was from the Shelbourne staff and players. I can assure you Reiltoir that there are plenty of sane Shels fans, who ask questions and worry about the club. It just doesn't get posted on the net five seconds after your told!!!

chippie0001
09/07/2006, 10:36 AM
According to this mornings news of the world, the matter has not been resolved at all. The players are playing out of loyalty and still have not been paid. They are meeting the PFAI next week to see where the action will go.

Gareth
09/07/2006, 10:47 AM
Who wrote the article as a matter of interest Chippie

sullanefc
09/07/2006, 11:04 AM
Who wrote the article as a matter of interest Chippie
Charlie Stuart. Whoever the hell he is.

Gareth
09/07/2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks sullen

LeixlipRed
10/07/2006, 3:02 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to find out that the players are only doing it out of loyalty to the fans and that they actually haven't resolved this issue at all. I'm just praying its not all about to fall apart at the seams. If it does I wont be in the least bit suprised though