PDA

View Full Version : Third Bomb scare this week at Dublin Airport

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 8:35 AM
this week the government will copperfasten the sale of AerLingus and all of a sudden there are Three Bomb scares in the space of four days. Could this be down to digruntled employees of Aer Lingus or am I just being paranoid......It does seem a bit too co-incidental though
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0707/airport.html

Macy
07/07/2006, 9:09 AM
You're just being paranoid. More to do with the week that's in it I'd say.

Fair play to the Government for learning from Eircom (and the resulting terrible telecoms infrastructure) and deciding to sell another State asset, when it's contributing millions to the exchequer too.

Dodge
07/07/2006, 9:38 AM
Its just bags lying around the place isn't it? There's been no phonecalls or anything has there? Half heard a little on the radio this morning but not sure

dahamsta
07/07/2006, 9:45 AM
Didn't a guy actually claim he had a bomb a couple days ago?

Dodge
07/07/2006, 9:50 AM
Possibly, like I said I half heard about yesterday's this morning and nothing else. Was just trying to find out more (without doing any actual research)

Macy
07/07/2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah went into arrivals and said he had a bomb on him. He had some t shirt displayed in his houses window about supporting Iraqis rights to bear arms for something. Probably heightened security at the airport since, hence the scares of the last few days, when last week they would've been lost property.

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 10:22 AM
A Guy rang the Airport yeterday an said several devices had been left in the terminal. there was a co-vert search but no evacuation according to Q102 news at nine this morning this along with the Guy on monday and the supicious package discovered today would suggest a concerted effort to disrupt the day to day operations of the Airport. And generally un-attended luggage is removed and x-rayed by Airport Police they generally dont call in the bomb squad everytime someone leaves a bag unattended as was the case this morning. So IMO they must have had reason to call out the bomb squad for this particular "Package". with all the who ha about Aer Lingus at the moment I would be more inclined to suspect someone is playing silly buggers

pete
07/07/2006, 10:25 AM
I don't know if the 2nd & 3rd scares are hoaxes but in this country we not punish people enough for such behaviour - should lock up the muppet from earlier in the week for a year & you can bet others will think twice about doing it in future.

I would be concerned that it took the bomb squad 2 hours to get the dublin airport for the "plastic bag" nutter.

Macy
07/07/2006, 11:08 AM
So IMO they must have had reason to call out the bomb squad for this particular "Package". with all the who ha about Aer Lingus at the moment I would be more inclined to suspect someone is playing silly buggers
I've no doubt it's someone playing silly buggers, but it's a bit of a leap to suggest that it's disgruntled Aer Lingus employee's that are responsible for those. Could be some religious nuts, given that it's the anniversary of the London Bombings, could be some general loopers, could be kids thinking it's fun. Hardly are regular tatic at the airport during previous disputes.

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 12:21 PM
I've no doubt it's someone playing silly buggers, but it's a bit of a leap to suggest that it's disgruntled Aer Lingus employee's that are responsible for those. Could be some religious nuts, given that it's the anniversary of the London Bombings, could be some general loopers, could be kids thinking it's fun. Hardly are regular tatic at the airport during previous disputes.
Fair point about previous disputes. but I think this case is a lot bigger than anything that has previously happened at AerLingus well since the TEAM aerlingus debacle in the late 80's early 90's. It's quite clearly not Kids as the perpetrator was arrested on monday. Even if it was someone doing it to co-incide with the anniversary of 7/7 (which I seriously doubt as what did that have to do with Dublin) these kinds of hoaxes tend to be one offs not three in a week. Someone out there is setting out to disrupt the Airport as much as possible over a period of time and IMO Aer Lingus Employees have the strongest motive.

Terry
07/07/2006, 12:40 PM
Wasn't the guy who was arrested, arrested for making a false statement...or something along that line. So, if he had a bomb would he have been arrested at all???:rolleyes:

An army bomb disposal team has carried out a controlled explosion on a suspect bag that had been left in the arrivals hall of Dublin Airport this morning.

The security alert resulted in flight delays and traffic congestion in the vicinity of the Airport.

60 flights and around 12,000 passengers were affected.

The delays are expected to continue for the rest of the day.

The terminal was evacuated at around 8am and all outgoing flights were grounded.

It reopened to passengers and airport staff two hours later.

It was established that the bag contained a copy of the Koran and medicines.

The evacuation is the second security alert at the airport this week and follows an evacuation of the main terminal on Tuesday.

pete
07/07/2006, 12:44 PM
I am as critical as anyone about Aer Lingus employees but i can't see what the point would be in disrutpting the airport - theres no point if you can't tell anyone.

Macy
07/07/2006, 1:25 PM
1st one was some looper, one was a phoned in warning and then a suspect bag (i.e. which these days seems to be any bag with a Koran in it) that might not have been left maliciously at all. So then we're down to one hoax, with no evidence at all to link it to any employee of the airport, or any evidence of employees doing this type of thing in past (in probably more bitter) disputes.

I don't think there's a strong case for privatising Aer Lingus, and even right wing commentators like Shane Ross are opposed to it in the current format. Why would anyone risk the bad publicity of a hoax like this.

Actually, maybe it was someone from the Government or Aer Lingus management trying to get people to blame the staff to bring them bad PR?

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 1:43 PM
Its Probably nothing to do with AerLingus it just struck me as odd that in the week when the top story on the news is about Aer Lingus there just happens to be a spate of hoaxes at the airport. its the timing of it that had me thinking. I didn't say that it was or wasn't AL staff just wanted peoples opinion

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 9:57 AM

Yes he was one of the Anti-war protestors. This flute wants to destroy our tourist industry. He should be put up against a wall and shot for treason!
These are the same people that have already convinced one airline to not fly into Shannon anymore.
One question for the protestors. Are you willing to pay more taxes, in order to pay unemployment payments to ex-Shannon Airport employees, when as a result of the success of your protests the entire airport shuts down?

Macy
08/07/2006, 10:09 AM
Profit before principle? Jobs over not letting the US fly people convicted of nothing to go to a torture chamber?

Irrelevant anyway, as no airline is pulling out of Shannon due to protesters, if they were they would've pulled out years ago when the protests were in full swing not now when the majority are opposed but resigned to it. If anyone's pulling out of Shannon stops it's because they've got a better deal from another airport, nothing more nothing less.

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 10:12 AM
Profit before principle? Jobs over not letting the US fly people convicted of nothing to go to a torture chamber?

The only prisoner that they can prove,who went through Shannon, was a Soldier who was under Military police custody for misbehaving.

Nice to see you are quite happy that your kids may have to emigrate to find work once the Tourist industry here collapses.

Macy
08/07/2006, 10:17 AM
The only prisoner that they can prove,who went through Shannon, was a Soldier who was under Military police custody for misbehaving.
Yeah, so say the US. We've no idea, since we don't bloody check!