PDA

View Full Version : Muse - new album

Pauro 76
07/07/2006, 7:57 AM
Going to buy it tomorrow, is it as good as all the reviews are saying? Dying to hear it...

hoops1
07/07/2006, 8:46 AM
Very dissapointed in it
Loved the songs that i heard on the radio and seen on mtv,totp
But they were really the only ones i liked when i listened to them all
Im not a huge muse fan to be honest though

Pauro 76
10/07/2006, 3:28 PM
Judging by some of the reviews, was expecting a corker. there's some amazing tracks on here, 'Knights of Cydonia', 'Starlight' and 'Map of the Problematique'. but 'Soldiers Poem' and 'Hoodoo' are just dull fillers which is a shame. Quite good but not brilliant...but that said, some of their tracks you can write off at the time and a few listens later it opens up...

gustavo
13/07/2006, 12:51 AM
yeah i know what ya mean i think i listened to "time is running out" about 20 times before i realised it was a classic

Pauro 76
14/07/2006, 9:37 AM
Been listening to it all week and its now approaching classic status. 'Hoodoo' is a definite slow burner, not convinced with "Soldiers Poem' but every album is allowed a duff track or two. ill stick the neck out and say 'Knights of Cydonia' is one of the best closing tracks to an album ive ever heard...

Stuttgart88
17/07/2006, 8:42 AM
I read these posts on Friday having only listened to a couple of tracks (I only bought it on Thursday evening) & listened to it later on Friday.

I think it's a really good album. Some brilliant tracks (Starlight & Map of the Problematique stand out for me at this early stage) and, as usual with Muse, some duds. I've yet to listen to it from start to finish a few times yet so maybe the slow-burners will reveal themselves.

I still don't have the first Muse album but have the others. None is a great album but each contrains great tracks in my opinion.

I had a bit of a prog-rock upbringing (age related!) and Muse really appeals for this reason. They offer a very contemporary take on some of the self-indulgent ouput of the 70s. I think the singer's (Matt Bellamy?) voice has matured to sound like himself rather than a guy trying to mimic Thom Yorke & there's a real confidence in their ability coming to the fore in this album.

There's all kinds of influences on offer from early-Genesis (the keybords), even ELO, at times but it's much edgier. Pauro7 mentions the last track: I think it's like the closing track to The Cult's "Sonic Temple" album. "Wake Up, Time for Freedom" I think it's called, but it's far better.

For me the best closing track on any album is "Superman" on REM's "Lifes Rich Pageant". You had me thinking on the way home from work on Friday!

Would love to see them live. My mate saw them in Dublin and said they were incredible (& incredibly loud!).

If anybody knows of any gigs planned (either Dublin or London) please let me know.

Pauro 76
17/07/2006, 10:00 AM
http://www.nme.com/news/muse/23527

theres some gigs for ya! i might actually head up to one of them, their gigs are meant to be awesome, and they're apparantly amazing live. They're actually releasing "Knights of Cydonia" as their first American single, very brave move...

Stuttgart88
06/11/2006, 12:57 PM
Went to see them at The Point on Friday.

Superb.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2006, 2:46 PM
Was there myself Stuttgart, class. Probably the highest sound quality I've ever heard in the point

Stuttgart88
07/11/2006, 7:56 AM
Something else to talk about if I make it over for Tuesday/ Weds (touch & go at the moment)!