PDA

View Full Version : Women's UEFA Cup Draw

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2006, 7:47 AM
Folks below is the Women's UEFA Cup draw. Dundalk have been drawn in a group with Welsh, Dutch opposition hosted by Croatia. If they sign some "guest" players to play in the tournament they should be able for the host side and hopefully give Cardiff City a run for their money.

2006/07 UEFA Women's Cup draw
First qualifying round
Group A1
Saestum (NED)
Cardiff City LFC (WAL)
ŽNK Dinamo Maksimir (CRO) ( Host team)
Dundalk WFC (IRL)

Group A2
FCF Juvisy (FRA)
Hibernian LFV(SCO)
KÍ Klaksvík (FAR)
RCD Espanyol (ESP)

In this group the French would be the favourites to win the group and advance.

Group A3
SV Neulengbach (AUT)
SU 1. Dezembro(POR)
Newtownabbey Strikers WFC (NIR)
Breidablik (ISL)

The Northerners are up against it in this group. The Austrians and Portuguese were both in UCD's group on their last outing in the Women's UEFA Cup. So the Austrian's would be slight favourite from the Icelanders.

Group A4
KS AZS Wrocław (POL)
Zuchwil 05 (SUI)
ZFK Shkiponjat (MKD)
HJK Helsinki (FIN)

IN this group it would appear to be between the Finns and the Poles.

Group A5
Universitet Vitebsk FFC (BLR)
ŽNK SFK 2000 Sarajevo (BIH)
Gintra Universitetas (LIT)
ASD Fiammamonza (ITA)

This group would have been perfect had UCD been in this year's competition.
Two other Univesity based teams:D . However in the reality that is 2005 the Italians should have two much in the tank for Belarussian, Bosnian and Lithuanian opposition.

Group A6
ZFK Mašinac-Classic Niš (SCG)
KFC Rapide Wezemaal (BEL)
Pärnu Jalgpalliklubi (EST)
ŽNK Pomurje (SLO)

This group will be a toss up between the Belgians and the 20 times National Champions Masinac Nis from Serbia-Montenegro.

Group A7
Alma KTZH (KAZ)
CFF Clujana Cluj Napoca (ROM)
WFC Rossiyanka (RUS)
FK Slovan Duslo ŠaĬa (SVK)

The Russians should be slight favourites for this group with the Romanians by virtue of their European experience being the other potential Group winners.

Group A8
Legend-Chekseal Chernigov (UKR)
Maccabi Holon FC (ISR)
AEK Kokkinochovion Famagusta (CYP)
FC PAOK (GRE)

This is the most wide open group of all as most of the participants have very little European experience.

Group A9
Gömrükçü Baku (AZE)
1. FC Femina Budapest (HUN)
FC NSA Sofia (BUL)
FC Narta Chisinau (MOL)

The Azeris have qualified for this in each of the past three years at this stage. This group is another hard one to call .

Second qualifying round
Group B1
1. FFC Frankfurt (GER)
Winner Group A4
Winner Group A5
Winner Group A3

No matter who wins the other groups the Germans to advance.

Group B2
Umeå IK (SWE)
Kolbotn IK (NOR)
Winner Group A8
Winner Group A2
The Swedes will be slight favourites no matter who emerges from the Other groups .

Group B3
1. FFC Turbine Potsdam (GER)
AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
Winner Group A6
Winner Group A1

Turbine Potsdam as former winners of the competition again are favourites in the second phase group. If Dundalk were to advance they would end up in this group a nightmare scenario for them!

Group B4
Brøndby IF (DEN)
Arsenal LFC (ENG)
Winner Group A9
Winner Group A7

Oh this one will be a tight one with either of the automatic qualifiers Arsenal or Brondby possible winners.

UEFAWomen's Cup

justpassin
07/07/2006, 10:52 AM
I heard that Dundalk are not entering the UEFA Cup this year is that true? And if so what is the situation on that does another Irish team get to enter?

Countryripple
07/07/2006, 12:27 PM
I hate this "guest players" sh!te!!! Its so typically Irish!!! U go out there with YOUR team. It might not be the team that got you there because of players leaving, retiring etc, but thats what REAL teams have to work around every season. Think that whole 'get some guest players in' attitude not only undermines the current players in a said team, but also makes our whole way of contending in these competitions a farce!! I could never respect any team that does such a thing. I have more respect for the team that goes into the tournament with their squad that plays week in week out, whether they have been weakened or strenghtened from their previous season. Instead of someone in their starting 11 having to make way for a "guest" just cos she thinks she should be playing in this tournament even though she is not a fully signed member of their club!!

prinz
07/07/2006, 12:39 PM
Dundalk wont even win a game in the uefa cup they are the team of the past

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2006, 7:53 PM
I hate this "guest players" sh!te!!! Its so typically Irish!!! U go out there with YOUR team. It might not be the team that got you there because of players leaving, retiring etc, but thats what REAL teams have to work around every season. Think that whole 'get some guest players in' attitude not only undermines the current players in a said team, but also makes our whole way of contending in these competitions a farce!! I could never respect any team that does such a thing. I have more respect for the team that goes into the tournament with their squad that plays week in week out, whether they have been weakened or strenghtened from their previous season. Instead of someone in their starting 11 having to make way for a "guest" just cos she thinks she should be playing in this tournament even though she is not a fully signed member of their club!!

Countryripple

Have you heard of the UEFA Coefficient? It is based on results gained by a country's clubs playing in UEFA Competitions which applies as much to Women's football as it does to men. Therefore any attempt to strengthen your squad before entering the UEFA Cup has to be commended. Dundalk vintage 2006 ,are much weaker because of a split in the camp , than 2005 vintage. I know Dundalk 2006 are weak, cause my Women's team (ignore the avatar folks) recently beat them comprehensively.

If Dundalk get battered in Europe it affects Ireland's seeding , which means next season whoever wins the Cup here will get a worse draw. So it is in the interests of all clubs who aspire to win the W.F.A.I. Senior Challenge Cup in 2006, that Dundalk the 2005 winners, do as well as possible in this years UEFA Women's Cup.

justpassin
08/07/2006, 11:02 AM
I agree with you CollegeTillIdie of course you should strenghten your squad upon entering a competition such as the UEFA Cup.With the Dundalk team that are supposed to be playing in the UEFA Cup this year there is only about 5 or 6 players on that team from the squad they had last year.So I don't think anybody on the Dundalk team would be dissapointed in getting guest players to play for them because as I said there is only 5 or 6 players from last years squad in the team this year!

Does anybody know for definate they are actually going to play in the UEFA CUP?

Countryripple
10/07/2006, 9:35 AM
Of course i know that club performance in Europe affects our UEFA standings. But didnt everyone know since last year what team would be entering the UEFA Cup? And couldnt whichever Dundalk team it is that is going to compete in the competition have done a job in recruiting new players capable of participating in the tournament? Whatever about there being a split in the camp, those who want to play in the compettion knew what team to go to if they did. I really think it makes the whole concept of joining a team for the season a bit of a p!ss take, when people can just switch their allegiance for a game or two in a competition at a higher level.

prinz
10/07/2006, 10:37 PM
does Anyone see dundalk winning a game i cant they have a tough group and a squad that are not even strong enough for dublin premier never mind uefa cup

CollegeTillIDie
10/07/2006, 11:51 PM
Of course i know that club performance in Europe affects our UEFA standings. But didnt everyone know since last year what team would be entering the UEFA Cup? And couldnt whichever Dundalk team it is that is going to compete in the competition have done a job in recruiting new players capable of participating in the tournament? Whatever about there being a split in the camp, those who want to play in the compettion knew what team to go to if they did. I really think it makes the whole concept of joining a team for the season a bit of a p!ss take, when people can just switch their allegiance for a game or two in a competition at a higher level.

you've obviously never been involved in a major split in an organisation I take it .....:rolleyes:

Countryripple
11/07/2006, 10:34 AM
take it as u like.u know nothing of my own experiences or inexperiences. im simply making the point that the 'guest player' system is a joke. even UCD used it when they first got in the UEFA Cup which i find hilarious. im just saying that players who want to play in the competition go commit themselves to whatever team is going to partake in the competition and not just swing by for a game or two.

Numero
11/07/2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah I agree with Countryripple. The only reason guest players should be signed is if the team is short of back-up players in case of injuries etc. But this year Dundalk are in a bit of a fix after their split so it's a bit different for them.

prinz
11/07/2006, 12:29 PM
excuses excuses well if they didnt have enough players then they should not have blinking entered

CollegeTillIDie
12/07/2006, 7:53 PM
prinz

I hope you will go to the Interational between Ireland and Germany in August when Birgit Prinz and the World Champions take on Kinger's Green and White Army.