PDA

View Full Version : "Premiership"

Pages : [1] 2

joema
07/07/2006, 2:15 AM
Every el fan I have spoken to does not like the name "Premiership" - does anyone here like it? Could we maybe get the nlsa on board and try and get a name that most el fans would be happy with?

Thoughts...

Aaron
07/07/2006, 2:35 AM
I wudnt care less wot it was called as long as the proposals accepted by the clubs work out in the end.

carrickharp
07/07/2006, 7:20 AM
We could call it "An Premiership" then so!

CharlesThompson
07/07/2006, 8:10 AM
To be fair to joema, Spain has La Liga, Germany has Bundesliga, Italy Serie A, England has the Premiership, each known solely by it's own independent name. The Premiership will look to the barstoolers and others we are trying to attract to the local game like our inferior complex is so bad that we can't even come up with our own name without having to look over our shoulders at the "big boys" in England. Surely those in the "important seats" are intelligent and creative enough to come up with a unique name that doesn't smack of minnowism.

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 8:23 AM
Agreed "The Premiership" Smacks of west-Britishness. Peile Eire or Serie Eire were suggested on here a while back and at the time I wasn't too sure but I must admit that Serie Eire has Grown on me.

Dodge
07/07/2006, 8:45 AM
Joke of a name tbh. (although the alternatives listed here are worse)

I voted for SuperPremierBundesLaLigaA (Ireland Conference)

el punter
07/07/2006, 8:49 AM
What was wrong with 'League of Ireland'? It's what many people will still call the league anyway.

Perhaps 'Premier League of Ireland' if they must tinker with it.

Jerry The Saint
07/07/2006, 9:02 AM
I have spoken to several people about this (big interest in football, not eL fans but not hostile to it either, not big fans of any particular EPL team) and the overwhelming initial response was to laugh at the name. When they realised I wasn't joking there was still a disbelief that this was the best they could come up with.

They were also hugely dismissive of the idea of top-flight clubs being selected by a committee (Niall Quinn's involvement also a big source of amusement). Someone said they couldn't take the league seriously if weaker teams were promoted because they had more fans.

So from my small, unstructured, unscientific survey sample, the feeling is that these changes make the league appear more small-time and in some cases actually make people less likely to go to games (as opposed to having no effect - no-one I spoke to was more likely to give the league a chance after hearing the changes). I imagine these are the type of people that these super-proposals were supposed to attract. The sad thing is that I've a horrible feeling that this straw poll is more market research than the FAI carried out while drawing up the proposals (not to mention the Genesis wasters). :(

hoops1
07/07/2006, 9:04 AM
I would like to see it called "the championship"
especially as it would wind up memebers of the GAA

passerrby
07/07/2006, 9:11 AM
lets call it the "unicorn league" after another myticial beast

passerrby
07/07/2006, 9:21 AM
and its bound to be extinct in a number of years

A face
07/07/2006, 9:23 AM
What was wrong with 'League of Ireland'? It's what many people will still call the league anyway.

Perhaps 'Premier League of Ireland' if they must tinker with it.

Agreed !!

pineapple stu
07/07/2006, 9:23 AM
Every el fan I have spoken to does not like the name "Premiership" - does anyone here like it? Could we maybe get the nlsa on board and try and get a name that most el fans would be happy with?

Thoughts...
The NLSA had a meeting with the FAI on the new format. One of the things we mentioned was the general dissatisfaction with the name. We were told that it was a working title for the moment and not necessarily finalised.

BohDiddley
07/07/2006, 9:31 AM
I would like to see it called "the championship"
especially as it would wind up memebers of the GAA
Good idea. Let the GAA call theirs 'An Championship Mor'.
'The Premiership' is simply childish and plays into the hands of the 'gulf-in-class' brigade.

Dodge
07/07/2006, 9:45 AM
The NLSA had a meeting with the FAI on the new format. One of the things we mentioned was the general dissatisfaction with the name. We were told that it was a working title for the moment and not necessarily finalised.
Yeah and the Genesis Report called for a further report into the league. It will be called the Premiership if F.uckhead Delaney is allowed name it.

pete
07/07/2006, 10:34 AM
My irish isn't the best but surely someone could translate a few phrases like "Elite League" "Premier League" "Best League" "Highest League" to get a catchy title.

Serie Eire makes no sense as is Italian-Irish combo. If we object to stealing from the EPL then surely we object to stealing off the Spanish or Italian?

pineapple stu
07/07/2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah and the Genesis Report called for a further report into the league. It will be called the Premiership if F.uckhead Delaney is allowed name it.
Hard to disgaree with that really.

Partizan
07/07/2006, 10:51 AM
My irish isn't the best but surely someone could translate a few phrases like "Elite League" "Premier League" "Best League" "Highest League" to get a catchy title.

Serie Eire makes no sense as is Italian-Irish combo. If we object to stealing from the EPL then surely we object to stealing off the Spanish or Italian?

Going on my best Waterford Irish, down these parts we say either Cumann or Conradh for League, and Priomha for Premier.

Highest League - An Ard Priomh Chonradh
Premier League - An Cumann or (Chonradh) Priomha
Elite League - An Cumann Eisiach.

Its been a coupel of years since I was west of Dun Garbhain but I stand corrected.

A face
07/07/2006, 11:00 AM

But surely it shouldn't be down to just one man though ?

rerun
07/07/2006, 11:03 AM
Going on my best Waterford Irish, down these parts we say either Cumann or Conradh for League, and Priomha for Premier.

Highest League - An Ard Priomha
Premier League - An Cumann or (Chonradh) Priomha
Elite League - An Cumann Eisiach.

Its been a coupel of years since I was west of Dun Garbhain but I stand corrected.

Isn't that Priomh-Conradh ??

rerun
07/07/2006, 11:07 AM
On second thoughts, why don't we just call it The English Premier League and suspend football in Ireland. People in Ireland will soon get used to not having live football and go to the pub to watch it. To supplement this strategy we could just select the national team from teams that play in England. The upside of this is that the FAI can make money out of internationals and use it to send officers along with the players on junkets, *ahem*, sorry, to assist the team abroad.

Sure we're nearly there already.

The only problem would be what to do with all the world class facilities that the Irish football authorities have invested in over the years.

Dodge
07/07/2006, 11:16 AM
But surely it shouldn't be down to just one man though ?
I wish I had your naivity

BohsPartisan
07/07/2006, 11:41 AM
Knock yourselves out:
http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/

BohDiddley
07/07/2006, 12:28 PM
On second thoughts, why don't we just call it The English Premier League and suspend football in Ireland. People in Ireland will soon get used to not having live football and go to the pub to watch it. To supplement this strategy we could just select the national team from teams that play in England. The upside of this is that the FAI can make money out of internationals and use it to send officers along with the players on junkets, *ahem*, sorry, to assist the team abroad.

The only problem would be what to do with all the world class facilities that the Irish football authorities have invested in over the years.
Good plan in theory rerun, but I'd be sceptical. You don't seriously think that Irish football fans would have so little nous or pride that they'd pledge their undying allegiance to British clubs instead, do you?

paudie
07/07/2006, 12:37 PM
Call it anything but NOT the Premiership

EnDai
07/07/2006, 1:15 PM
Eitilt den Chéad Ghrád
(Bad literal translation, the first-class flight)

Eitilt Mór

An Deich Mhór
(The Big 10 (2007?))

I know, slow day! :)

Bald Student
07/07/2006, 1:24 PM
I was at a presentation on the new league format as an NLSA rep and I put it to the FAI that the name seemed to be universally unpopular. They told me that the name was a working title and subject to change but they've continued to use the name since then so I'm not sure wheather they plan to stick with it or not.

BohsPartisan
07/07/2006, 1:28 PM
How about something with "Peile".

el punter
07/07/2006, 1:28 PM
Is there any further correspondence scheduled between the FAI and NLSA?

micls
07/07/2006, 1:31 PM
How about something with "Peile".

Uas-Chonradh Peile na hEireann

pete
07/07/2006, 1:34 PM
None of those Irish phrases are catchy enough for me.

A League or E League (someone suggest previously). I think these best i've heard so far...

Maybe Angle-Irish combo...?

CharlesThompson
07/07/2006, 1:35 PM
The Irish Super Duper Most Excellent Real Football League?

BohsPartisan
07/07/2006, 1:37 PM
None of those Irish phrases are catchy enough for me.

A League or E League (someone suggest previously). I think these best i've heard so far...

Maybe Angle-Irish combo...?

E League? Trevor Molloy will be excited by that prospect.

Bald Student
07/07/2006, 1:38 PM
Is there any further correspondence scheduled between the FAI and NLSA?We'll be meeting in the next few weeks to confirm tickets and things for the autumn internationals. I can ask them about the name again then. If there's anything else you think I should bring up send me an e-mail at jcraddock@campus.ie

joema
07/07/2006, 1:43 PM
We'll be meeting in the next few weeks to confirm tickets and things for the autumn internationals. I can ask them about the name again then. If there's anything else you think I should bring up send me an e-mail at jcraddock@campus.ie

Nice one, I have a few ideas but they arent finalised yet, could you remind us about this maybe a week before the meeting?

joema
07/07/2006, 1:46 PM
I think having Irish in the name is a good idea, but so far imo the proposed names are not catchy at all, how about something simple like "Peile Eire" or "The Eire League"?

BohsPartisan
07/07/2006, 1:53 PM
Peileship??? :D

rerun
07/07/2006, 2:00 PM
How long will eircom be sponsoring the league? Just thinking, does the name in England not change from time to time? The organisation that runs the league is called "The Premier League" but is the name of the actual competition "The Barclays Premiership". I suppose the sponsor might have some say in what the actual competition name is?

Personally I'd go for the <sponsor> League - Premier Division, <sponsor> League - 1st Division etc. ;)

Even gives you the sneaky option to get different sponsors for the different leagues. Perhaps TG4 or someone might end up sponsoring the U21 league and showing the matches :)

passerrby
07/07/2006, 2:18 PM
hpow about "the div above the first div"

BohsPartisan
07/07/2006, 2:39 PM
How about "Joy Division"

monzo
07/07/2006, 2:43 PM
Agree with the general consensus that 'Premiership' is utterly abysmal. Don't like Serie Eire too much either. el Punter's plain 'League of Ireland' is definitely what I'm rooting for.

Or even,

"The Interdepartmentally Choreographed Premier League of Ireland" perhaps... ;)

el punter
07/07/2006, 2:43 PM
How about "Joy Division"

Didn't Ollie already play in that one for a while?

Soper
07/07/2006, 2:47 PM
How about ''Coca Cola League 3''?

Dodge
07/07/2006, 2:49 PM
I'm going for the League of Mysterious Charachters

Vitruvian Man
07/07/2006, 2:59 PM
Inhuman League?

We could have Jason Byrne as our posterboy.

garykelly
07/07/2006, 3:09 PM
premiership is a bad idea for a name. but then again since when does the view/opinions of supporters count for anything. if the EPL was called something else then the 'bigwigs' at the fai would been suggesting that as the name for our league too. doesnt matter. will always been known as Eircom league (assuming dont change sponsor) so simply it'll be Eircom Premier League. oh on a side note ? how many of those involved in restructing and taking over the league attend EL games ?

Réiteoir
07/07/2006, 4:56 PM

How about we call the new setup - "The Coca Cola Football League 3"

GavinZac
07/07/2006, 6:08 PM
The FAI Championship?

A face
07/07/2006, 6:39 PM
I wish I had your naivity

I wish i did too !!

How about "Joy Division"

I like it :p

pineapple stu
07/07/2006, 6:43 PM
Personally I'd go for the <sponsor> League - Premier Division, <sponsor> League - 1st Division etc. ;)
Best suggestion, I think. Coincidentally the same as we have! Also quite like "League of Ireland", but then what we have is just a contraction really.

Would quite like a distinctly Irish name, but none of the ones mentioned have been catchy enough. If anyone comes up with anything decent, the NLSA will pass it on to the FAI at our next meeting! Though it looks as if the name is set in stone at this stage really.