PDA

View Full Version : Harps Statement

Pages : [1] 2

harpskid
06/07/2006, 10:33 PM
The board of Finn Harps FC can confirm that a special information meeting has been arranged for Wed 19th July to appraise the clubs shareholders of the ongoing financial situation at the club. The club set a strong budget at the start of this season with a view to allowing the team to challenge for an immediate return to the Premier Division. The club stated publicly at the time that we were depending on support of our fans to ensure we could maintain a strong team following relegation. "To maintain a strong budget despite dropping down a Division the club will need the loyal support of the supporters, not only on the terraces but by supporting other club fundraisers which are vital in ensuring the team budget can be maintained" (press release 6th Jan 2006).

Unfortunately results on the field early in the season have not lived up to the expectation of most supporters and the clubs mid table league position has seen a collapse in support for the team through the turnstiles.

Other factors such as the World Cup and the ongoing detrimental affect of summer football on attendances have exacerbated the situation. The club would like to acknowledge the huge contribution being made by those supporters who are attending games, members of the 500 club and those working hard to raise funds through the monster draw and other ventures, however the income from gate receipts has dropped to an unsustainable level. The potential for this situation to arise had been identified at
board level and active measures were undertaken over the preceeding months to compensate for the shortfall at the gate, however this deficit can no longer be maintained.

The board have decided to inform the shareholders of the details of the situation and measures which we feel must be taken to protect the future of the club. These measures must include a cut back on outgoing expenditure as well as seeking to raise sources of income to meet the shortfall in gates. To this end the club have had several discussions with team manager Anthony Gorman and have arranged to meet the players this week to discuss the situation.

The significant debt which existed 5 or 6 years ago has been reduced significantly, therefore we must continue to set in place a stable financial base for the future. In this regard also, there have been positive steps in relation to the new stadium in recent weeks, and the Club hope to be in a position to make further information available in this
regard within the next month.

LeixlipRed
06/07/2006, 11:23 PM
The 306 people who turned up to watch us play last night definitely didnt help them. They'll probably didnt even get the bus fare home back. Hope they sort things out as they have a decent side and their fans are always a pleasant lot. Good luck!

Poor Student
06/07/2006, 11:34 PM
It goes to show the importance of correct budgeting. Waterford budgeted incorrectly last season and suffered similar problems. It shows how difficult it is to run a tight ship in the eL. It wasn't an unreasonable thing to try and budget for a promotion push. Best of luck to Haps and hope they can overcome their difficulties.

Speranza
06/07/2006, 11:40 PM
Not really fussed about the mess they are in but its typical of the way that club has been run. Donegal has huge potential yet the sheep have never had a period of success, that points to mismanagement through the years and a lack of ambition. Thats my obviously biased view and one other thing....Forever in our shadow! :)

Aaron
07/07/2006, 2:37 AM
Hopefully they will get out of the mess. Always enjoyed a run down to Ballybofey, the craic is always great and also i wud prefer them to stay around so we can get our annual 9 points a season!!:D :D

carrickharp
07/07/2006, 7:17 AM
Not really fussed about the mess they are in but its typical of the way that club has been run. Donegal has huge potential yet the sheep have never had a period of success, that points to mismanagement through the years and a lack of ambition. Thats my obviously biased view and one other thing....Forever in our shadow! :)
Thanks for your consern:mad: Fans like myself are worried for the future of our club and to read crap like the above just sickens me.

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2006, 7:25 AM
Finn Harps are one of the stalwart clubs in the League and I am appalled at their plight. Their genuine supporters are the best in the country, and they appreciate it when you make the long trek to Finn Park.
But I think it's time we as EL fans faced facts.
This is a fickle country, full of glory hunting , bandwagon jumping so called "supporters".
Look at rugby for example. Two years ago Leinster played Glasgow in a Celtic League match in front of 60 supporters in Lansdowne Road. This year they got 13,000 in the RDS for Heineken Cup ties.
GAA fans are no better . Dublin barely fill 10,000 capacity Parnell Park for National League games yet come the Championship and they stuff Croke Park. This is a country of event junkies. How can we expect it to be any different for our run of the mill fixtures?

They, ( i.e. event junkie bandwagon jumping supporters) have deserted the League this season in droves and what we are left with is the real hardcore support at each club. And the 306 that went to the Shels-Finn Harps League Cup tie illustrates that point.

Crowds are down , and from the support standpoint , summer soccer has failed. It has led to more success in Europe, but if the clubs have to go bust cause nobody goes to the other bread and butter fixtures, what the hell use is that?

Peadar
07/07/2006, 8:09 AM
It would be a disgrace if a club like Harps went to the wall.
The government pump money in dope fuelled greyhounds, a horse racing scene where corruption is rampant and a sporting organisation where bigotry is ingrained in their constitution, yet the top 22 football clubs in the country struggle to survive!

Hope you enjoy the prawn sambos in Old Trafford, Bertie! :rolleyes:

Ash
07/07/2006, 8:22 AM
Hopefully Harps will sort things out, I have great time for them
and the Harps fans. Always made us feel more than welcome
in Ballybofey and we're always good craic when they came down
to Mels.

manic da hoop
07/07/2006, 8:22 AM
Where does all this leave the new stadium?

Mr A
07/07/2006, 8:32 AM
It goes to show the importance of correct budgeting. Waterford budgeted incorrectly last season and suffered similar problems. It shows how difficult it is to run a tight ship in the eL. It wasn't an unreasonable thing to try and budget for a promotion push. Best of luck to Haps and hope they can overcome their difficulties.

In fairness Harps budgeting has lead the club to be attacked as unambitious, but has seen our finances recover from the brink of extinction 5 or 6 years ago to a pint now were if we can survive these problems and make it to the end of the season we'll be not too far off debt free and moving rapidly towards a brand new stadium. The club aimed to push for promotion this year but the team hasn't performed and the gate receipts have dropped to just 20% of what they were during the same period our last year in the first- and who in their right mind would budget for that? Football is a very fickle game, and even the most careful clubs can get caught out- but at least Harps are trying to avert crisis rather than reacting to it after it has reached meltdown proportions. Wages to date have been paid, and if we can get the wagebill down sufficiently we'll be in a position to build again from next year.

Mr A
07/07/2006, 8:33 AM
Where does all this leave the new stadium?

This makes no difference to the stadium plans. Hopefully positive news on that will appear in the next few weeks.

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 8:45 AM
The government pump money in dope fuelled greyhounds, a horse racing scene where corruption is rampant and a sporting organisation where bigotry is ingrained in their constitution, yet the top 22 football clubs in the country struggle to survive!

Here Here. Why oh Why cant an eircom league Chairman run for leadership of Fianna Fail or Fine Gael as it's the only way we'll ever get any support from those muppets in Leinster(Old Trafford mark II) House

manic da hoop
07/07/2006, 9:19 AM
This makes no difference to the stadium plans. Hopefully positive news on that will appear in the next few weeks.

Glad to hear that.

Overall I think it's positive that the club's administrators are taking a straight and open approach to the current situation, as opposed to burying their heads in the sand and hoping all problems will soon pass over like a bad storm. It certainly seems that you have a bunch of level-headed people in charge, and that can only auger well for the future.

BohDiddley
07/07/2006, 9:26 AM

Well said Peadar. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Best of luck to Finn Harps. Hope the club pulls through.

passerrby
07/07/2006, 9:28 AM
hope it works out for you, best of luck,
spranza your all thats wrong with football

Dodge
07/07/2006, 10:23 AM
Good to hear Harps' people not burying their head in the sand and trying to sort their woes out.

Best of luck to them

Terry
07/07/2006, 10:30 AM
Best of luck to everyone involved with harps.

If ye want a hand cutting the wage bill, we will gladely take Breen, Malseed and O'Donnell of ye to help with the proceedure

Partizan
07/07/2006, 10:31 AM

Wasnt so long ago that L'Derry had their bare arse hanging out the window.

Tosser.

UP THE HARPS.

Strabane_Harp
07/07/2006, 10:58 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about Speranza, most derry fans would hate to see harps in bother.

We will survive this and go on. But the free state government has to seriously start helping the league out!

how about making players wages exempt from tax?

Raheny Red
07/07/2006, 11:02 AM
Supposedly before the Shels V Harps game son Wed night the Harps players had a meeting with Fran (The players man) Gavin :confused:

BohsFans
07/07/2006, 1:08 PM
mod edit

I've had enough of this crap, everyone knows who he was talking about, nobody cares if you don't like the name he used.. Stay on topic. - Dodge

BohsFans
07/07/2006, 1:09 PM
oh yeah, best o' luck Harps!

Bald Student
07/07/2006, 1:25 PM
Has the Dublin S.C. and fundraisers planned? I'm sure that a lot of us would like to help out.

Macy
07/07/2006, 1:34 PM
Overall I think it's positive that the club's administrators are taking a straight and open approach to the current situation, as opposed to burying their heads in the sand and hoping all problems will soon pass over like a bad storm.
That was my initial reaction on reading the statement - I don't see it as doom and gloom at all as it means the problem has been recognised and this is an attempt to rectify the situation.

Rory H
07/07/2006, 1:49 PM

sounds to me like a letter to the irish independant is neccessary;)

carrickharp
07/07/2006, 2:30 PM
Has the Dublin S.C. and fundraisers planned? I'm sure that a lot of us would like to help out.
We are working on it! Since the Portobello changed hands we have had to give up the oul table quizzes but we have somewhere else in mind which I will be enquiring about over the weekend, thanks for the offer and to all the wishes of good luck messages that have been posted on here!

Bald Student
07/07/2006, 2:34 PM
We are working on it! Since the Portobello changed hands we have had to give up the oul table quizzes but we have somewhere else in mind which I will be enquiring about over the weekend, thanks for the offer and to all the wishes of good luck messages that have been posted on here!If you're stuck for a venue STIG could book one of the Bars in Belfield for you. Sorry we can't help with anything in the City Centre.

paudie
07/07/2006, 2:40 PM
Crowds are down , and from the support standpoint , summer soccer has failed. It has led to more success in Europe, but if the clubs have to go bust cause nobody goes to the other bread and butter fixtures, what the hell use is that?

Surely most of Harps problems are down to being 6th in the First Division rather than summer soccer. Didn't they make a profit last year having spent a summer soccer season in the Prem Division?

How many more fans would they get in winter if they were in the same position?

BTW, I really hope Harps suvive and play for many years in their new stadium.

harpskid
07/07/2006, 3:56 PM
Supposedly before the Shels V Harps game son Wed night the Harps players had a meeting with Fran (The players man) Gavin :confused:

Players from BOTH Harps and Shels met Fran Gavin on Wednesday night after the game. Garden not very rosey in either camp - although worse in our case - it seems.

Aaron
07/07/2006, 4:09 PM

WTF is that all about. Most DERRY CITY fans wud hate to see harps go down the pan. Enuff of the L'Derry bit, the team is called DERRY CITY

:mad: :mad: :mad:

paudie
07/07/2006, 4:23 PM
Enuff of the L'Derry bit, the team is called DERRY CITY

:mad: :mad:

Eh, we know.

Job done in trying to wind you up methinks;)

Aaron
07/07/2006, 4:53 PM
He hasnt wound me up, it takes hell of a lot more to wind me up. Just simply saying we are called Derry City and not as he stated L'Derry:eek:

micls
07/07/2006, 5:24 PM
He hasnt wound me up, it takes hell of a lot more to wind me up. Just simply saying we are called Derry City and not as he stated L'Derry:eek:

Maybe that's it in french like L'Amore.........:p

Aaron
07/07/2006, 5:50 PM
Maybe that's it in french like L'Amore.........

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

micls
07/07/2006, 5:52 PM
:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Jesus calm down. It was a joke......you know ha ha! Talk about wound up.

passerrby
07/07/2006, 5:59 PM
why do you english lads get so would up

Aaron
07/07/2006, 8:06 PM

Ye'll have to ask them english lads themselves;)

fbtn
07/07/2006, 9:07 PM
Cheers everyone for the kind words.

We'll be okay though - we're out door-to-door selling tickets around the county. We should bring in enough cash from this draw to hopefully make sure the players are sorted and we don't go into debt. Never nice not getting a pay cut regardless of your job.

We will probably see personnel and structural changes at board level in the near future as a result - which will only be a good thing.

FAO: Speranza. Long time no chat Aaron mo chairde. Good to see your still making a complete show of yourself :)

Mental Man
07/07/2006, 9:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the on-goings lads i really hope u get it sorted, great bunch of supporters up in Ballybofey, were just starting down here to get our act together after years of stupid spending by the previous managment.
Keep it up lads !;)

dcfcsteve
07/07/2006, 11:46 PM

It's just a vain attempt to keep up with yee West Brits....... :D

"Take it down from the mast,..." :p

Red4Eva
07/07/2006, 11:50 PM
games against harps are da only thing we have remotely resembling a derby so i'd be gutted if they went t*ts up. was ragin that they got relegated when we got promoted.i hope they get everything sorted but can we have chris breen now plz. seems like harps have been incredibly unlucky with injuries this season. if breen, funston, gethins, gorman and to lesser extent o'donnell were fit all season harps definitely wouldn't be far off the top of the graveyard

dcfcsteve
07/07/2006, 11:55 PM
Sorry to see Harps in bother. Always have been, and always will be, my second team. :ball:

Though i am disappointed that the statement seems to place a lot of the blame for Harp's plight upon Summer soccer. Seems that any club who is struggling at the turnstiles has a handy external excuse to trot out to explain away their situation.

Would it not be closer to the truth to look almost entirely to that time-proven sporting correlation between on the pitch performance and attendances instead....?? :confused:

Did Winter soccer fail the likes of Drogheda, Sligo and Limerick in years gone by ? Or do their increased attendances these days have more to do with their improved standings than on the time of year ? Hmmm - I wonder......

dcfcsteve
08/07/2006, 3:09 AM
Summer Football is failing for the vast majority of teams we have been doing very well all season and yet are attendances are going the opposite direction. It cant be blamed on spectator facilities as the Showgroounds is one of the better grounds in the league and i dont think i can be accused of being bias. I would not say Winter football failed us i would say our football team failed us.

Firstly - if as you say Summer football is failing for "the vast majority of teams" - name them. I wouldn't consider anything less than 75-80% to be 'the vast majority' - i.e. 17-18 teams. So who are all these teams for whopm Sumemr football has been clearly such a mitigated disaster that fans of other club sknow all about it ?

Secondly - how can anyone seriously pin 100% of the blame for their club's attendances upon Summer football ? The simple answer is that you cannot. Particularly in the case of teams like Sligo, Drogheda and Limerick who have much higher crowds now than they did when playing Winter football. I like the way it's Summer football that's to blame for a drop in Sligo's crowds this year versus last, whilst the blame for your poor crowds back in the days of Winter football was anything but the season. Again - sounds like the classic easy option of blaming Summer football for any ills one wants, without having anything at all to substantiate the claim.

Back when we had Winter football for 8 decades, crowds fluctuated from season-to-season and from period-to-period for a whole host of reasons - often in complete contrast to a team's performance. So what was blamed then ? Nowadays if you even lose one fan then it's all 'Oh - look at what Summer football's doing....' :rolleyes:

There is simply no conclusive proof of the impact of Summer football upon attendances either way. It is too early to draw conclusions, and the data to hand is nowhere near robust enough for lay-people like ourselves to draw definitive league-wide conclusions anyway. I wish people would stop kidding themselves about this.

When i lived in wales i used to snigger when i glanced at the welsh league but now i think we are not as much as head of them as we used to be.

We are light years ahead of the Welsh league on every possible count - there can be no debate about that. We have better facilities, a markedly higher standard of football, greater success in European competitions, more full-time players/teams, and much much higher attendances. For example, the highest attendance they had last year for any league game was 823. Ours was 9,000. They also had their 2nd year-on-year drop in overall average attendances - is that therefore conclusive proof that Winter football is failing the Welsh clubs....?

Given that a number of our improvements above (particularly re stadiums, professionalism, attendaces at a number of clubs, and Euro results) are improvements that have occured in recent years, in reality the gap between ourselves and the Welsh league has actually been expanding recently. Any surprise therefore that they've considered following our example of Summer football... ?

Terry
08/07/2006, 8:05 AM
I will make it easier Steve, Derry and Cork is the only ones you could say that Summer football has not had a negative effect on
I disagree, I dont think summer football has changed anything for any first division club.

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 9:25 AM
I disagree, I dont think summer football has changed anything for any first division club.

Which clearly indicates support has bottomed out and cannot sink any further!:rolleyes:

Mr A
08/07/2006, 9:29 AM
Though i am disappointed that the statement seems to place a lot of the blame for Harp's plight upon Summer soccer. Seems that any club who is struggling at the turnstiles has a handy external excuse to trot out to explain away their situation.

Would it not be closer to the truth to look almost entirely to that time-proven sporting correlation between on the pitch performance and attendances instead....??

Steve the statement mentions on the field performance first and then mentions the other factors as exacerbating the situation. This isn't putting most of the blame on summer football- it's putting most of it on the team's performance and mentioning other factors that are hurting us too- and Summer football, in our case at least, has certainly hit crowds.

EireBadBoy
08/07/2006, 9:46 AM
Every provincial Club is stuggling ! 305 at league quarter final tie last week, Pats have been only getting around the 900 or so mark Bohs have been getting terrible crowds of late Shels Shocking as well 1,100 or at a top of the league game against Derry city a few weeks back. I mean fare play if you think Summer football is working please point out something that i am missing because other than weraing your shades and shorts to games i can see an advantage.

Admit it - you were drinking and hard driving when you wrote that! :D

EireBadBoy
08/07/2006, 9:49 AM

Tosser.

UP THE HARPS.

Who's that you're talking about.

Tosser.

I for one know that Harps have enough dedicated fans to make sure the club survives. Good luck to them.

Battery Rover
08/07/2006, 10:44 AM
Best of luck to Harps in sorting things out, I have great time for them
and the Harps fans. Love attending matches up there even though it is an ass breaking journey.