PDA

View Full Version : Loads of Attendances, Finances, Disciplinary, Legalities....not much football

el punter
06/07/2006, 3:57 PM
DCFCSteve touched on it in another thread, but if I may be permitted to say something about the board in general it'd be appreciated.

I've been using the forum extensively for the last 4-5 months or so, admittedly my post count isn't in the thousands like many of the contributors here but I hope that doesn't lessen the validity of my point.

There is very little football discussed on the forum at the moment and that's pretty sad.

So many threads turn in to a bitchfest about the state of each club's finances, it's tax affairs - not to mention the constant one-upmanship over attendances. It's like a business and accountancy forum here sometimes.

Look at the O'Neill-Cummins thread, it started as a worthwhile debate about the worthiness of the column - whether something substandard is better than nothing etc...it has ended up with pictures of a pigs head being posted in a Bohs/Rovers mickey measuring contest. Seriously can we build a creche on the forum where people who want to be big men behind a computer screen can do so?

I know I don't have to read threads I'm not interested in of course...but maybe out of habit I do anyway.

This forum was at one point a few months ago a celebration of our local game, where opinions on THE GAMES were discussed intelligently and thoughtfully.

The bitching is dragging me down, and obviously dcfcSteve - one of the most considered posters here IMO - feels similarly. Maybe everyone could take a deep breath, withdraw from whatever squabble they are participating in and start talking about football?

micls
06/07/2006, 4:00 PM
I think 3 weeks without games had a big impact. The same happened on the City forum. All these things are relevant to the EL but i agree some football talk would be nice too

sullanefc
06/07/2006, 4:01 PM
Whole heartedly agree. The schools are on hols as well at the moment.

pineapple stu
06/07/2006, 8:35 PM
In fairness, there's some hugely important off-the-field issues in recent weeks - winding-up petitions and hand-picking the Premier next year being the main ones. You can't just ignore them!

But there has been far too much "Bohs are bigger than Rovers/No they're not" and "We're not Shams" and other nonsense on the board of late.

A face
06/07/2006, 11:53 PM
In fairness, there's some hugely important off-the-field issues in recent weeks - winding-up petitions and hand-picking the Premier next year being the main ones. You can't just ignore them!

I just want to echo that aswell ... for a City fan anyway it all a bit mad at the moment to be honest.

But point taken ... hopefully it'll improve once pointed out. It would be a welcomed return anyway.

Dr.Nightdub
07/07/2006, 2:16 AM
There's no getting away from the fact that there is a lot of genuinely important off-the-pitch stuff going on this season.

The whole groundsharing / stadium fascism / who's-moving-where-if-at-all situation is obviously of acute interest to Pats, Bohs and Shels fans (and Rovers fans too even if they've no say in what happens). The proposals re League restructuring affect everyone, as do revelations about tax compliance or lack of.

To some extent, with the World Cup break barely over and the transfer window just after opening, it almost feels like Pre-season Part II. Give it a couple of weeks and that'll fade away though.

I agree there's far too much juvenile point scoring and hissy fits over who's most entitled to call themselves Rovers. Maybe the mods are just slacking on the job. :D

Block G Raptor
07/07/2006, 8:31 AM
Maybe the mods are just slacking on the job. :D
I kNow its not an easily responsability to be a Mod but I do agree to an extent with the above post. in the past posters(Myself included) have been berrated and in extreme cases punished for dragging threads off topic and rightly so. but in more recent weeks/months threads seem to be disintegrating into slagging matches and not a Mod to be seen. Come on guy's Its our forum lets take it back from the immature fool's who just want to be keyboard warriors.

( This is not a cheap shot at mods as I appreciate that it is not an easy task. maybe more mods are needed)

BohDiddley
07/07/2006, 9:38 AM
I think a football board without some slagging off would be a very odd place indeed. You are not going to be able to re-invent a space where fans of clubs with ancient enmities are happy to lovebomb each other.
That said, there should be limits, and IMHO the mods should be much stricter when it comes to straightforward name calling and abuse.

Jerry The Saint
07/07/2006, 9:41 AM
Attendances, Finances, Disciplinary, Legalities....not much football

This is a good summary of how the Premier Division will be chosen next season.

A face
07/07/2006, 9:49 AM
Lads, just to chip in here about the Mods. If you see anything wrong, there is no harm in pointing out now and again. Its very hard to read every single post from everyones perspective. Just wanted to say that.

Dodge
07/07/2006, 10:06 AM
This is a good summary of how the Premier Division will be chosen next season.
Honest to god jerry I thought thats what this topic was about and didn't bother reading it (as we have tons already)

Just to echo what a face said, there's always the report post button and if anybody isn't happy with anything they should click that.

Oh and another reason why there's more non football issues being discussed is that there are individual club forums about and if Iwant to talk about Pats v Sligo last week, thats where I'll do it (and most clubs are similar) Foot.ie works as a general board and as such matters of general interest get debated

BohDiddley
07/07/2006, 11:33 AM
Not at all, a board free of schoolyard arguments is exactly whats needed. I'd expect no less of an opinion from a boez kunt anyway.
- QED -

Dr.Nightdub
07/07/2006, 10:38 PM
When I said that about the mods, I just joking. Y'know, rhetorical statement? Hence the use of the smiley?

anto eile
09/07/2006, 12:33 PM
DCFCSteve touched on it in another thread, but if I may be permitted to say something about the board in general it'd be appreciated.

I've been using the forum extensively for the last 4-5 months or so, admittedly my post count isn't in the thousands like many of the contributors here but I hope that doesn't lessen the validity of my point.

There is very little football discussed on the forum at the moment and that's pretty sad.

So many threads turn in to a bitchfest about the state of each club's finances, it's tax affairs - not to mention the constant one-upmanship over attendances. It's like a business and accountancy forum here sometimes.

Look at the O'Neill-Cummins thread, it started as a worthwhile debate about the worthiness of the column - whether something substandard is better than nothing etc...it has ended up with pictures of a pigs head being posted in a Bohs/Rovers mickey measuring contest. Seriously can we build a creche on the forum where people who want to be big men behind a computer screen can do so?

I know I don't have to read threads I'm not interested in of course...but maybe out of habit I do anyway.

This forum was at one point a few months ago a celebration of our local game, where opinions on THE GAMES were discussed intelligently and thoughtfully.

The bitching is dragging me down, and obviously dcfcSteve - one of the most considered posters here IMO - feels similarly. Maybe everyone could take a deep breath, withdraw from whatever squabble they are participating in and start talking about football?

if you dont want to discuss off-field matters then dont.
but i like the threads on attendances/finances/legalities/off field happenings etc.
theyre as valid a point as any on-field issue.

CollegeTillIDie
10/07/2006, 10:38 PM
if you dont want to discuss off-field matters then dont.
but i like the threads on attendances/finances/legalities/off field happenings etc.
theyre as valid a point as any on-field issue.

I agree Anto eile all of that stuff can affect the club's bottom line and ultimately their ability to field a decent team on the park.