PDA

View Full Version : The Big Box

dalo
08/07/2002, 11:00 AM
btw has anybody seen the goals on the box yet and when do tv3 start their highlights programme?

also wasn't the second goal one of the best goals seen in the cross. boooooooom.

a near perfect performance and their best sice trashing dundalk and waterford 4-1 and 5-0 in successive weeks back in oct 1998

James
08/07/2002, 11:02 AM
excellent game but thought the thrashing of pats last year was upthere also given the fact that twas away from home and we were playing ****e at the time..

amazing game and goal from Ollie Who ? that day also

dalo
08/07/2002, 11:40 AM
my personal favourite was beating shams 3-1 last dec. alas it was freefall after that.

anyway anyone have a idea about the tv3 thing. personally i think it's great tv3 got the rights to show national league games as rte's efforts was **** poor. trevor must be happy

patsh
08/07/2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by dalo
personally i think it's great tv3 got the rights to show national league games as rte's efforts was **** poor. trevor must be happy
<Rant>
I think the problem with RTE's coverage was more the fault of the league than TV. Too many teams made no effort at all to help RTE to get a decent show together. As for TV3, it's the worst TV station in the world. Their weekly "show" is going to be one show out of that late night sports effort they shove out. Tremenjus Trevor isn't too bad, but if the Champions League coverage, or the few Irish away games they did, is anything to go by, the coverage will be complete sh*t. TV3's programme director said the other night that "It is great news for Irish fans that they can see Irish games as live, and that the Irish League will have a home now, that it did not have before" What planet does this pr*ck live on? This is total b*llocks!!!! Bad as RTE's coverage could be, it would never be as bad as the sh*t TV3 churn out.
This is a bad thing for the eL, but the w*nkers in the FAI just cannot see that. Sky don't give a flying f*ck about Irish soccer, they just want to get rid of any competition. What will happen in 4 years, when there is no one to bid against Sky? How much will Sky be willing to pay then?
And another thing, you'd swear the start of the eL season was the 5th secret of Fatima. Did the FAI take out a few TV/Radio ads to tell everyone about summer soccer or the opening matches? Did they, after all the interest generated about soccer by the World Cup, do anything to grab these interested people and try to get them to games last Friday? Like f*ck they did. I know the eL is not the greatest league in the world, but to fans of our local teams like myself, it is something we treasure and enjoy, even while we are moaning like f*ck about it, and it could matter to a lot more people if we could just get them interested. Unfortunately, the assh*les running this league simply do not understand that, so until they are f*cked out or the eL breaks away from the FAI, we will always have our league screwed up.
</End of Rant>...............;)

MikeW
08/07/2002, 1:16 PM
If people expect TV3 to do a better job with the league than RTE did then I think they're going to be very disappointed. Do TV3 even have the resources to cover live events? Do they even have an outside broadcast unit? I can't remember one live sports event that TV3 have covered themselves. This highlights show sounds promising, but do TV3 even have 3 cameras to spare to cover the matches - I doubt it. As was said above - TV3 are the worst station in the world - its not easy to argue with that (well, ITV is probably worse I suppose!).

I would've loved to have seen highlights of City v Shels but it wasn't covered, I'm expecting much more of this for the coming season. And don't expect TV3 to go outside Dublin for a game either, they probably don't even own a truck to bring their non-existant equipment with them. I hope I'm wrong about them , but given their track record I doubt it. This highlights show (if it happens) is the only thing that would make their coverage better than RTE's (unthinkable as that is!).

James
08/07/2002, 1:19 PM
Correct TV3 have no OB Unit
but then TG4 when they cover local GAA matches dont use TG4 or even rte OB units....they get them from an outside company..so TV3 orib will do the same..as for not going outside the pale.. yea prob true.. although trevor welch may be a nice allie(sp) for city

pete
08/07/2002, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by James
Correct TV3 have no OB Unit
but then TG4 when they cover local GAA matches dont use TG4 or even rte OB units....they get them from an outside company..so TV3 orib will do the same..as for not going outside the pale.. yea prob true.. although trevor welch may be a nice allie(sp) for city

Exactely. TG4 subcontract their live sports to some independent company & seen some of their interprovincial rugby or Celtic league coverage which has been very good.

RTE barely ever left the pale so feck all difference if TV3 don't.

RTE are an arrogant bunch of wasters & they trying to blame anyone else but themselves for loosing the FAI deal. Anyone think Niall Cogley not get head of RTe sports job because of his Daddy?

I know TV3 ain't good but they do give reasonable eL previews on that sports show of theirs dispite not having the rights to it - you would never see RTE doing that. If TV will show 5 live matches plus 60mins weekly highlights just for delayed coverage of internationals imagine what they would give for live international matches?

Whether the deal good for next 4 years may be open to question but will surely be good to for future deals as be 3 compnaies competing for.

p.s. i think RTE be happy to lose the football as be good excuse for increased licence fee.

From the Irish Examiner:

TV3 will broadcast the Republic’s games an hour after the final whistle and will also televise at least five live Eircom League matches per season, along with a weekly Sports Tonight Programme dedicated to domestic football. RTÉ currently hold the rights to League of Ireland football but the current contract expires in October.

As the TV3 deal is not exclusive, the national broadcaster will have the option of also signing a new deal for domestic football.

If RTE care about irish football so much no reason they can't also show some live eL matches?

Colm
08/07/2002, 2:28 PM
To be honest, I cant see TV3 being a major improvment on RTE. However, if TV3 give the highlights show a 1 hour prime time slot every week it would be an improvment, I do worry that they are going to just use it to fill up their Sports Tonight, which is broadcast at a time when very few would be watching.
Who knows, If they get good ratings for the live games they might decide to show more than the 5 matches. IMO, what this league needs is at least one live match per week and a good quality highlights show, but I doubt if we will see anything like that for quite some time.
Trevor Welch said on Red Fm that he is looking forward to covering the national league and that he has missed that since leaving Multichannel. Trevor will be anxious to cover city matches, but whether or not any of the decision makers in TV3 listen to Trevor is an other matter entirely

niamh
08/07/2002, 3:26 PM
According to the Herald during the week, the marketing executive for the league has no budget for his task.

dalo
08/07/2002, 3:40 PM
I know a guy who had the misfortune to work for 96 fm and TV3 and he said the latter coverage of sport and news in general is diabolical. personally i think we will be lucky to even see the goals in the evening.

but please please will i ever see john flynn's goal (a thing of beauty):o

i suppose ye all noticed that there was two cameras in the press box - i presume one was tv3 whose was the other one?

btw it is a shame tg4 didn't get the soccer package as they are given their resources the most professional station in the country

James
08/07/2002, 3:49 PM
one of the cameras was an rte one
cause they cut to the cross on the 9o'clock news
not sure if they showed goals though

pete
08/07/2002, 3:58 PM
I wouldn't say RTE not good but some of their programmes are very shabby. I've lost count of the times Network2's late news has got scores from eL & CL matches incorrect. Was watching F1 (god knows why) on sunday & during one of the ad breaks DURING the race they had an ad for the weekend coverage of the same race. LOL

tv3 ain't great but they not been arpound very long. Hopefully they hire the same folks that do the TG4 outside broadcasts as they good.