PDA

View Full Version : Golden Ball nominees

Dodge
06/07/2006, 12:28 PM
Zinedine Zidane is among the nominees for Fifa's prestigious Golden Ball award, given to the most valuable player at the 2006 World Cup.
The France playmaker ends his career in Sunday's World Cup final against Italy.

The 10 nominees include four Italians, Fabio Cannavaro, Andrea Pirlo, Gianluca Zambrotta and Gianluigi Buffon.

Zidane's compatriots Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira are on the list as are Germany's Michael Ballack and Miroslav Klose and Portugal's Maniche.

Germany goalkeeper Oliver Khan won the award at the 2002 World Cup, while Brazil's Ronaldo was the winner in 1998.

Fifa will announce its final decision on Monday at around 0900 BST.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full list of nominations:

Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Maniche (Portugal), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Thierry Henry (France), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Patrick Vieira (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Zinedine Zidane (France).

micls
06/07/2006, 12:30 PM
Dunno how Henry made it tbh...don't think he's been at his best at all. It's Cannavaro for me anyway with Zidane running him close

NeilMcD
06/07/2006, 12:45 PM
Cannavaro by a country mile. I think Ayala should be there also and Mascharaena for Argentina in my view.

Dodge
06/07/2006, 1:26 PM
Must be a rule that only semi finalists are considered. Even still I'd have Carvalho ahead of Henry

Jerry The Saint
06/07/2006, 1:30 PM
Must be a rule that only semi finalists are considered.
Which would explain the lack of Englishers.

Only one or two of that lot would make the England squad though

micls
06/07/2006, 1:41 PM

Id have thought their collective terrible performances would explain it tbh

Dodge
06/07/2006, 2:09 PM
And note that only those who play in the premiership are allowed

BrayUnknowns
06/07/2006, 2:27 PM
Cannavaro by a country mile. I think Ayala should be there also and Mascharaena for Argentina in my view.

Spot on.

drinkfeckarse
06/07/2006, 3:34 PM
Zidane and Henry have only played well since the knockout stage really, has to be Cannavaro surely.

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2006, 7:03 PM
Cannavaro has been player of the tournament. If he doesn't win , it would be a travesty.