PDA

View Full Version : France 1 Portugal 0

OwlsFan
05/07/2006, 10:00 PM
Pretty much as one would have expected. The French, particularly the older players, need a challenge to raise their game. Portugal did not present that challenge. They were as blunt as they were against England. Henry barely touched the ball in the first 20 minutes - he didn't seem terribly interested and I suspect Viera was worrying about that second yellow.

Glad the diving Ports lost. Not sure I'd agree with Liam Brady that it's a latin thing. They all do it now

Despite being branded a clown (again), Bartez did ok apart from that moment of madness. France won without getting out of second gear. Sign of a good side or a team capable of raising its game only when expected to lose ?

They will be the team that played Spain/Brazil for the final game. Of that I am sure. Italy still to win though :D

Clifford
05/07/2006, 10:05 PM
Got to agree with all except the "Final" result. France got the goal, coasted from there on in 2nd gear and will win the final. Zizu in Hampden Park all over again. Bring it on, fill my bank balance.....

Dodge
05/07/2006, 10:52 PM
If Henry played for Portugal, they'd have won the world cup. Super defence, best midfield in it but absolutely nothing up front

eirebhoy
06/07/2006, 9:33 AM
Zizu in Hampden Park all over again. Bring it on, fill my bank balance.....
Not a chance. :) A 34 year old Zidane against one of the fittest players in European football who loves nothing more than man mark an opponent. :)

France have very little going for them in attack and the only way I can see them winning is from a set piece. Henry doesn't do much at international level and will surely be kept quiet by Cannavaro and Nesta. Zambrotta will keep Ribery in his pocket. who's left? Malouda? :D

OwlsFan
06/07/2006, 12:10 PM
Am I alone in thinking Henry didn't really didn't put in the 100% effort last night? Also the French celebration of the goal was very low key with Zidane doing the "thank God" gesture. They don't seem as pumped up either at their Anthem. Neither do our lot either I know because most of them don't know the words in Irish:(

Hoping for 100% against Italy and a classic to round off the tournament.

NeilMcD
06/07/2006, 12:16 PM
There was more than one moment from the Clown last night. What about the incident in injury times when he throws the ball out to Viera on the edge of teh box absolute madness