PDA

View Full Version : Italy 2 Germany 0

jockser
04/07/2006, 10:26 PM
Jaysus that was a great game!
Cannavaro still the best defender in the world IMO

cheifo
04/07/2006, 10:55 PM
Have to agree.Thrilling stuff. Hope tomorrow nights game can live up to it.

FarBeag
04/07/2006, 10:55 PM
Best game of the tournament by a mile and best player of the tournament likewise.

jockser
04/07/2006, 11:02 PM
i think a great performance by the ref and linesmen is also worth a mention

Dodge
04/07/2006, 11:07 PM
Superb stuff all round.

osarusan
05/07/2006, 1:47 AM
Jesus!!

I get up at 4am to watch all the games, but last night I thought it wouldnt be worth the effort!!

Best game of te tournament. That means I'll get up tonight to watch France vs. Portugal, and it will be crap.

Sandro
05/07/2006, 6:14 AM
Definitly one of the best game so far, an old fashion match I'd say. But this Germany is not real Germany, honestly, when they asked to host the WC years ago they probably wouldn't imagine such a weak side. Italy kept concentration (no one goal conceded yet apart from the clumsy own goal against USA) despite shocking news from home (in the afternoon it was announced Italian FA asked Juventus to be relegated in 3rd division next season, Milan Lazio and Fiorentina in 2nd). Even a hundrum town like the one where I live - Vicenza - got wild and crazy last night, God love me at work this morning

Stuttgart88
05/07/2006, 7:00 AM
Both teams had a good honest go at each other from the start. Game was played in great spirit although Totti & Ballack couldn't help themselves at times. Cannavaro was class & Materazzi played better than I thought him capable of. Both Italy's full backs were excellent. I thought Gattuso was superb and had a brilliant attitude to the game.

The Germans can be proud of how they performed. Delighted the game didn't go to penalties.

Agree with the earlier post: ref & linesmen deserve credit too for making it a classic.

drummerboy
05/07/2006, 8:23 AM
Agreed will all above. Entralling encounter played a good pace and sporting spirit. Italy back four were magnificent, their midfield worked their socks off, their only real weakness was up front. Germany gave it their all, and looked dangerous in the first half. However the better team won.

drinkfeckarse
05/07/2006, 8:24 AM
I didn't think beforehand the game would offer all that much and I missed the first half due to training. Just before the first goal went in I had texted a couple of friends to say it was a cracking game for a nil nil, one of the best I've seen in a while.
Ref and linesmen were excellent as mentioned, really tried to let the game flow but fair play to the players also for going out to win the match rather than the "cagey, afraid to make a mistake" game I had expected. Cannavaro and Zambrotto stood out for me and the 2 goals were excellent.

Is it too much to expect the same tonight? It won't be the same standard as this game but still should be decent I think....

Roadend
05/07/2006, 8:25 AM
Finally a decent game, and we only had to wait till the semis for it.

drinkfeckarse
05/07/2006, 8:32 AM
Ah now the Argentina Mexico game was enjoyable too...

Roadend
05/07/2006, 8:38 AM
Twas, but not as good as last night. Anyway 2 from how many?

NeilMcD
05/07/2006, 9:07 AM
There have been some really good games in the tournament so far in my opinion

Arg.V Mex
Braz V Franc
Ita V Germany
Croatia V Aus
Ita V Aus
Arg V Serb

However last nights game was the match of the tournament. Fair play to the Germans for contributing towards a great game. But hats off must go to Lippi the coach for bringing on 2 strikers for 2 midfielders. I know that they played in the midfield roles but their natural instinct was to go forward and score. This is one of the most attacking italian team of all time and they have been fantastic to watch in my view. I enjoyed their game against Ghana and Australia. Their defence have been fantastic with player of the tournament so far Cannavaro. What a guy it was like Mc Grath in 94.

Everybody should take credit from last nights, game, players, coaches, fans and the officals, A great night of football and it is one of the reasons we all love the beautifual game.

Clifford
05/07/2006, 10:47 AM
Agree with all that Neil, there have been some excellent games indeed, culminating in last nights cracker. Without a duobt the best game of footie for ages. Fair play to all involved. It has been a sumptuous world cup in my book, the odd bad moment, but superbly well organised and most of the teams came to play.

Bring on tonight and my bet France hopefully to get through for a dream final Sunday night.

drinkfeckarse
05/07/2006, 11:03 AM
but superbly well organised

Was it ever going to be anything else knowing the Germans ;) :)

Clifford
05/07/2006, 11:05 AM
Was it ever going to be anything else knowing the Germans ;) :)

Ja, der efficiency iss de best ja. Absolutely superb. :D

londonirish17
05/07/2006, 11:09 AM
Forza Azzuri !
Best game so far. Could have been the final.
Great performance by the ref and two magnificent goals.
Grosso's impact has been quite impressive as were the likes of Cannavaro, Materazzi, Totti, Pirlo...

NeilMcD
05/07/2006, 11:39 AM
Totti was rubbish last night. Italy played with 10 men for long spels in my view. Every time he got the ball he tried a first time pass and kept on giving it back to the Germansy. What a rubbish performance from him and the only reason Lippi kept him on in my view was for the penalties. Its an insult to Cannavoro that you have added his name to the list along with Totti. Cannavarro reresented all that was right about Italian football and Totti represented all that was wrong in my view.

Superhoops
05/07/2006, 12:16 PM
Everybody should take credit from last nights, game, players, coaches, fans and the officals, A great night of football and it is one of the reasons we all love the beautifual game.
The only player IMO who did not come out of last night's game with any credit was Ballack. He did not look fit and was not effective at all, but more significantly for the second game in a row he went down after a challenge holding his face, when quite clearly there was no contact anywhere near his face.

Should be fun at Chelsea next season with Ballack and Robben with diving, they will need springboards :D

OwlsFan
05/07/2006, 12:22 PM
And played at such a pace. From a selfish point of view, I was glad the Germans lost so they won't be on a high in September when they meet us. An anti-climax for them hopefully

What I also found interesting was that the demeanour of the two managers was the exact opposite to the national stereotypes: Lippi, calm and calculating on the sideline, Kilinsmans emotional and demonstrative. You'd expect it the other way round for an Italian and German :D

pete
05/07/2006, 12:53 PM
Game of the tournament as was a great game in a semi final full of play for the real football fan. Great to watch the contrast in styles & clearly different game plans.

Italy won because they attacked the germans yet never in a manner to leave themselves exposed. I lost count of the number of times their midfield 3 stole the ball of the germans. The Del Peiro substitution for Perotto won the game & showed the new Italy living up to pre tournament reputation as more adventurous.

Totti wasn't great but to say he was rubbish is unfair. He is there for a little bit of inspiration at key monents & did setup a few chances. Lippi has dropped him in earlier games & if he thought was bad would have subbed him for Del Piero. I think Totti suffered a lot in extra time probably due to the fact he was out injured with a broken leg for the 2nd half of the Serie A season.

Cannavaro, Materazzi & Pirlo were great. If France get the final Henry will have a lot of trouble seeing much of the ball against that central defence.

Grossos celebration was Tardelli-esque :D

londonirish17
05/07/2006, 1:19 PM
Totti was rubbish last night. Italy played with 10 men for long spels in my view. Every time he got the ball he tried a first time pass and kept on giving it back to the Germansy. What a rubbish performance from him and the only reason Lippi kept him on in my view was for the penalties. Its an insult to Cannavoro that you have added his name to the list along with Totti. Cannavarro reresented all that was right about Italian football and Totti represented all that was wrong in my view.

Well that's your point of view and you're right to let me know.
Totti is a constant threat to all the teams he plays. All his moves are dangerous and he is constantly surrounded by 2 or 3 players which says enough.
You also have to consider that he is still recovering from a long and severe injury. I still think therefore, that he made an impact on yesterday's game.

Junior
05/07/2006, 3:57 PM

Absolutely - I reckon he had a bet with his mates that he would do it if he scored................great:D

pete
05/07/2006, 4:56 PM
Absolutely - I reckon he had a bet with his mates that he would do it if he scored................great:D

Italian celebrations are always great. Football is all about passion. We want players to look like they care & show it.

Sandro
05/07/2006, 5:09 PM

...do you really remember that? In Italy it became a sort of symbol of the 80s!!!

eirebhoy
05/07/2006, 6:36 PM
Italian celebrations are always great. Football is all about passion.
Judging by the Italian celebrations after every goal I honestly think they want to win this cup more than any other team. They go ballistic after every goal. :)

Junior
05/07/2006, 6:45 PM
...do you really remember that? In Italy it became a sort of symbol of the 80s!!!

Its one of 'the' images in World Cup history (for me anyway) up there with Diego's hand in '86

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2006, 6:46 PM
Forza Regazzi, I hope they go all the way now!

Sandro
05/07/2006, 6:56 PM
Judging by the Italian celebrations after every goal I honestly think they want to win this cup more than any other team. They go ballistic after every goal. :)

Does anybody know what does Luca Toni mean every time he celebrates like that after a goal? Turn up the (supporters') volume?

http://www.notasdefutbol.com/images/luca-toni.jpg

eirebhoy
05/07/2006, 9:38 PM
Does anybody know what does Luca Toni mean every time he celebrates like that after a goal? Turn up the (supporters') volume?

It's something to do with going crazy. I read it on an Italian forum but no quite sure how it originated.