PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Window/New Signings

Gaillimh Al
02/07/2006, 6:38 PM
2 days in and still no sign of anyone new, apart from fat former Premiership leg-ends. Impatient I know, but anyone have any news/rumours/gossip about new signings and maybe even departures? We need new blood to rattle a few players who may have become complacent in their cosy squad status.

pineapple stu
02/07/2006, 6:39 PM
Is Damo signing for youz?

Gaillimh Al
02/07/2006, 6:46 PM
I'm sure he'd let us know if he was....

pineapple stu
02/07/2006, 6:46 PM
He was on the forum earlier dropping hints, I thought?

Battery Rover
02/07/2006, 8:07 PM
Has Stevie Gavin been released by you and resigned for us?

Terry
02/07/2006, 9:06 PM
Is Damo signing for youz?

his services were offered, but the club refused them:(

Has Stevie Gavin been released by you and resigned for us?

news to me:confused:

Tir Oilean
02/07/2006, 9:41 PM
Why pray tell did the club turn down Damo's services are we goin back to the whole we dont need a striker saga?! I've heard thru the grapevine there are four signings imminent but dont know who/what position they are in? If they dont want to sign Damo Tony must have a striker on his list cos BArry's out for another while yet Goldbey and Rojas are not up to it. (even tho i'd like to see Juan given a chance.)

gufct
03/07/2006, 8:33 AM
with players signing apparently being asked to train 3 nights a week is frightening off some potential signings and was the root cause of stevie gavins departure. I find this incredible that the club are trying to be professional in the way its run but players want the easy option with one player preferring Athlone because he will have to train 1 night a week which is less tha a junior team.

Raf is the only one of the new signings who has made an impact with Murphs and Foley being huge let downs. There has to big question mark over the players attidude and we need to see a reaction from them soon.

Less than 150 at the match on friday and it wasnt worse than the Dundalk game nothing could be worse than that.The sending off killed us and why oh why did we let Colin go he was head and shoulders above any United player and Eric was the best striker on view although he was very lucky to stay on the pitch.

Only plus was Barry got a run out and should be starting on friday night.

Terry
03/07/2006, 9:46 AM
What a joke, just goes to prove how some people were right when thinking the players coming in were in it because it was just an easy number. Good riddance to those players, there not welcome. I dont fork out cash to the club to see and hear those kind of things:mad:

Redzer
03/07/2006, 12:42 PM
I've heard Steven O'Donnell is on the way to ye, from Harps. Anyone confirm/deny?

Terry
03/07/2006, 12:54 PM
would love that redzer but I doubt it as didnt he sign a 2 year contract with harps? Would cost to much, to be fair.

Gaillimh Al
03/07/2006, 4:23 PM
Good riddance to Stevie Gavin, he wasn't worth spending the money to train him 3 nights a week anyway.
It sounds ridiculous that players who are getting paid to play football will not train for it. I'll say to my boss in the morning that I only want to come in 4days a week from now on and claim the same wage and I can guarantee the response I'll get.
Proper players train as often as possible together to become both a better team unit and to enhance their own individual skills which will eventually lead to success and enjoyment for all involved. What have we come to when we can't find decent players who won't train, or are we looking at the wrong players?

Tir Oilean
03/07/2006, 4:52 PM
Is it a factor then that our lads belt it out three times a week before a game and so are pretty knackered compared to the opposition? This would explain the lack of concentration towards the end of our games. Bad news if we can't even attract the right players to the club.

Gaillimh Al
03/07/2006, 6:01 PM
If junior players can train twice a week and play a match at the weekends, why shouldn't so-called higher class players with higher levels of fitness be able to train more often. Doesnt make sense.

Mr A
03/07/2006, 9:52 PM
Stephen O Donnell most likely wouldn't cost ye anything- and I doubt his wages would be that big either. We are likely to be seriously trimming the wage bill due to collapsed attendance figures. :(

Patrick Dunne
03/07/2006, 10:08 PM
This guff about training being too difficult is rubbish. Its called preparation, you morons ! Unfortunately there seems to be a pub team mentality amongst many Western based players that doesnt exist elsewhere.

The lack of a "professional" culture in Galway football could be a part of this. I believe that its time to bring in more outside players and clear out deadwood who see GUFC as a means of paying for the mortgage and the holidays.

corbyeire
04/07/2006, 9:02 AM
with everything off the pitch being touted as professional - this attitude of the players as it appears to be is unbelieveable

Terry
04/07/2006, 9:47 AM
I know members of the board and executive committee frequent this message board, so, would it be possible for one of them to print this out and give a copy of it to Tony Cousins? Maybe he could read it out to the players and it could give them some sort of kick up the arse and get them to know that this just isnt accept here. I would rather see the young lads go out and give it there all rather than knowing that the players out there are just not bothered

Conor H
04/07/2006, 12:23 PM
Great idea Terry.
I'd quite willingly outline my dismay at the attitude at some of our "players".
No problem signing my name to it either.Not that half of them would care.
I was talking to an Athlone fan after the match Friday and he couldn't believe how bad our attitude was.He acknowledged that our players were of far superior quality(maybe!) but one thing about ATFC was they gave it their all.
We've played with passion once this season and we beat Rovers.
The players are spolied and have some sort of notion that they're owed something.As we left Mels on Friday 5 of the team we're laughing amongst themselves as we trudged out of the ground.Couldn't give a toss!

Battery Rover
04/07/2006, 8:41 PM
I was talking to an Athlone fan after the match Friday and he couldn't believe how bad our attitude was.He acknowledged that our players were of far superior quality(maybe!) but one thing about ATFC was they gave it their all.

That is all any fan asks for here in Athlone.

Considering the amount ye are training compared to us I don't think there was any difference in fitness either. Maybe this could be the cause of the unhappiness as it can't be easy having to train 3 nights a week, then play a match and keep down a full time job. This cant be good for the head.

Cut their wages a bit and then you will see who is in it for the club and not just to pay their mortgage.

MyTown
05/07/2006, 9:14 AM
Heard last night that the manager told the players, he's going after two strikers. No names mentioned. I think we've seen enough to know that a major clear out is called for. Being Dublin based Tony may be immune to the back-bitiing and infighting that sometimes dogs the local scene.

I think Franny, Billy and Alan have been brilliant servants to the Club over the years, but the sands of time are quickly running out for them. I don't believe Nigel, Dave Goldbey, Phil Reilly or Derek O'Brien were ever at the required standard.

To do anything about the pathetic attendances, we need a big name signing or two - and I mean a really big name. It's always been a high risk strategy. Sign a big name & go bust financially. In spite of the lip service paid to partnership with the Galway & District League and the genuine attempts at partnership on behalf of GUFC, we will never see big numbers of supporters of Hibs, Mervue or Salthill coming to Eircom League matches. Like all football supporters, they're mostly happier cursing the darkness rather than shining a light of support for their local side. A big name signing would tempt them up for a few games - but they would definitely fall away again.

Terry
05/07/2006, 9:36 AM
I have to disagree with a lot of what you said there mytown.

Alan has kept, is it, 6 or 7 clean sheets this season with only in the last game making a superb save to save united from defeat against Dundalk. Billy Clery has been a very important factor to this season, although not what he was but the ravages of time do catch up with everyone, but you would find it impossible to find anyone else besides Billy who would give his all for united in the squad we have this season.

Phillip Reilly, IMO, is easily up for this level of football along with Nigel Keady. How you can say that beggers belief:confused: :rolleyes:

I f there is one club that supports united I would always say Hibs. There players and staff are a constant fixture at the home matches. To expect big numbers going to matches from small junior clubs, it will never happen, they dont get big numbers for there own matches!!

MyTown
05/07/2006, 10:04 AM
Well, Terry you seem to have changed your tune from yesterday where you posted in favour of the Board getting access to postings which recommend that some of the current squad get well earned kicks up the a**e.

Just so we're clear, I tried to point out what brilliant servants Alan, Franny and particularly Billy have always been. The question is where you want to see the club go from here & how you see them getting there? With the current squad we'll soon have Teryyland to ourselves and can shout our postings across to each other, because even the most loyal supporters will not wear the current efforts of our guys. I'll always go, 'cause it's a habit I can't break and the club offered an outlet to soccer supporters who had no links to any of the city sides.

I'm not interested in the kind of abuse that was directed at the players in some of yesterday's postings. I'm more interested in action & in recognising football reality as it currently is in Terryland. Whoever the manager is & whoever he puts on the pitch will always get my 100% support. If not, what does support mean?

corbyeire
05/07/2006, 10:11 AM
its a pity this season that our support has to be described with resignation, surely its something we should revel in - but to be honest thats the way i feel in the stand - and i think its coming off the pitch

Terry
05/07/2006, 10:20 AM
Well, Terry you seem to have changed your tune from yesterday where you posted in favour of the Board getting access to postings which recommend that some of the current squad get well earned kicks up the a**e.

I haven't changed my tune in the slightest. They do all need the kick up the arse. Alan and Billy dont IMO but the rest do definitely. What you said was that the players you mentioned that just weren't skillfully good enough (Nigel and Phillip), I think they are but just arent interested at the moment. BIG DIFFERENCE.

gufct
05/07/2006, 10:34 AM
is trying to attract players who are better than the current ones to play in galway as there is little or no point in signing players for the sake of it .Our geographic location has always been a huge problem in getting players to sign for United.

To attack Billy and Goughy and say they are finished simply on age grounds is crazy as they have been our 2 best players this season and take defeat a hell of lot worse than some of our "stars".

We need players yes but only if they are better than our current squad and yes the majority of that squad need to wake up and smell the roses before they are out the door quicker than you can say stevie gavin.

Tir Oilean
05/07/2006, 11:52 AM
My town I hope you were thinking of a different Alan! As for Billy I think he's still got a bit left at least another couple of seasons. Regardless He gives us 110% every game and as the Athlone town fan said you can't expect much more.

Worryingly it's Wednesday and there's no word of signings. They may be holding out for the papers at the end of the week. How long is the window open for? :confused:

gufct
05/07/2006, 1:04 PM
before Galway is not very attractive for players due to our geographic location and we are in the 1st division so anyone that thinks there will be a queue of players waiting to sign up are fooling themselves.

1st priority is a a striker and that is the most important signing so id be happy if we got in someone with a good record at this level.

Terry
05/07/2006, 2:39 PM
How long is the window open for? :confused:
midnight on the 31st of july, loans deals though can still be done after this date

maradonna
09/07/2006, 1:19 PM
1 player i can see going is ralf was yer best player til he got hurt wens he back?

Terry
09/07/2006, 1:21 PM
raf is going nowhere, back doing light training at the moment

maradonna
09/07/2006, 1:34 PM
is he? thought he was out fur 3 months!! i think hes a smashing player and would luv ta see him bac at the showgrounds playing in the premier league i seen him at derry game in sligo few weeks ago.:)