PDA

View Full Version : Former Premiership Star Signing

The Stars
01/07/2006, 12:42 AM
Just got word that a fromer Premiership star could be on his way to the Showgrounds.
Remember Sean was on about signing a player who would be fimiliar with the fans,well im guessing this is the man.
He would be on €2000+ a week from what I understand and Rovers are looking for business' in the town to part fund the deal.
I would imagine it is on a pay as you play deal,but he certainly should play.

Anyone think they know who it is can pm me as I think we should keep this one better than the other singh..i mean signing.

SRFCbrothelutd
01/07/2006, 12:24 PM
Darren Anderton...

avvenalaf
01/07/2006, 12:48 PM
Keano or Trigger - I mean the dog, not McAteer.

The Stars
01/07/2006, 2:39 PM
not any of them,this guy isnt Irish...thats all im saying for now.

feo123
01/07/2006, 4:00 PM
ok....he's not irish....he played in the premiership the season before last and was a regular in the first 11!! i have to go and feed my Horses now!!!!!!!!!!!

Red4Eva
01/07/2006, 4:03 PM
the puns have begun. he was briefly topscorer in da premiership not so long ago

CollegeTillIDie
01/07/2006, 4:31 PM
No offence lads, but he must have a serious gambling problem if he is willing to play for €2,000 a week.

The Stars
01/07/2006, 5:56 PM
No offence lads, but he must have a serious gambling problem if he is willing to play for €2,000 a week.
Its more the free water in Paddys that keeps him in there.

Feo knows who it is,as does Red4Eva.

avvenalaf
01/07/2006, 6:32 PM
Geoffa cakes for the horse in the field?

The Stars
01/07/2006, 7:56 PM
well thats whats doing the rounds....heard it from a source how has a great insight into what the club are up to
think im being wound up?what about you and Keith Gilroy?

SligoBrewer
02/07/2006, 5:12 PM
Well as i said Leeds are meant to be after him !

Nothing going about between i swear just friends !

Gilroy is a lot more likely that this !

lol:D :p

SligoBrewer
02/07/2006, 5:22 PM
nope...none at all..i think so nyways

gustavo
02/07/2006, 5:23 PM
Whys it so laughable ? Gilroys only a part timer over there.

Rovers1
02/07/2006, 10:00 PM
i heard Geoff Horsfields name too,although it was my friend in dublin told me

sligoman
03/07/2006, 11:20 PM
According to the Irish Mirror today, a deal will be complete by Saturday with this "well known" player.

Kenny Cunningham?:cool:

Soper
03/07/2006, 11:38 PM
Or Neville Southall?

Red4Eva
03/07/2006, 11:59 PM
didnt read it myself but sum1 told me that in the sun it sed we mightn't be signing HS cos he got injured and sean might go looking for a left back instead.

avvenalaf
04/07/2006, 10:51 AM
HS ? Has Harvey Smith given Rovers the two fingers ?

Pauro 76
04/07/2006, 11:50 AM
ah come on this is a puzzler.. judging by some of the clues...Brian Deane?

gustavo
04/07/2006, 12:28 PM
its Harpal Singh thats one of them anyway it was in the Weekender today

The Stars
04/07/2006, 3:48 PM
I was right about harpal anyway,hopefuly right about Geoff aswell

avvenalaf
04/07/2006, 6:31 PM
Harpal Singh
There has been much talk in recent years about why so few Asian players have made the grade in pro football. But the time for talk has passed.

At least a dozen Asians are now signed to centres of excellence at English league clubs, and more than 70 are attached to clubs’ youth academies and coaching set ups across the country. These young Asian talents are about to change the football picture.

Harpal Singh
“I started playing football as soon as I could walk,” says 25 year-old Harpal Singh, who hails from Pudsey in Leeds and was part of the Leed United youth set up since he was 13. Now playing for Stockport County, he had been tipped to be the first Asian to play for England. Former Leeds manager George Graham was reported in a local newspaper saying, “Liverpool may have Michael Owen, but we have Harpal Singh.”

How did you develop an interest in the game?
I’d always play with my older brother in the garden and when he got a bit older he’d go out and play with his mates and I’d go along. Things just took off from there really.

What do your parents think about your football?
They’ve supported me all the way. Every game my Dad can make it to he’s there watching me, and my Mum’s a big fan – she always asks how I got on.

Do you ever go to the Asian tournaments that take place across the country?
Yeah, I go to watch the one in Bradford which takes place about five minutes across the road from where I live. I also know a few people that play. It’s good to go and watch.

Do people in Pudsey know what you’re doing?
All the people from my old school know what I am doing and the teachers ask how I’m getting on and keep in touch. And my friends are always asking me about when they’re gonna get my name on the back of their shirt.

On loan at Bury
What sort of player do you think you are?
I’m a winger a bit like Ryan Giggs, I like running at players and taking them on.

How important is your identity and the fact that you’re Asian?
I’ve always known it’s going to be different with me being Asian but I’m proud to be Asian and don’t see that as a problem. It makes me more determined to make it. I want to be the first Asian player to make it. The fans won’t be used to seeing Asian players running around. I may get a bit of reaction. But they’ll get used to it.

What would you do if you don’t make it in football?
I’d like to go into the leisure industry, maybe, to coach Asian kids and promote football.

What would you say to any Asian youngsters trying to make it?
Be single minded about the way you approach the game. Don’t think of yourself as an outcast, play your football and enjoy it and whatever happens, happens.

Kick It Out Week of Action 2006
17 - 30 October 2006, Nationwide
Football family comes together with communities to take a stand against racism

"Football? It's our vehicle because, for most of us, it's our passion."
Rashid Bhayat, Coventry Positive Futures project

©2006 KICK IT OUT

sligobhoy67
04/07/2006, 6:55 PM
Harpal Singh
There has been much talk in recent years about why so few Asian players have made the grade in pro football. But the time for talk has passed.

At least a dozen Asians are now signed to centres of excellence at English league clubs, and more than 70 are attached to clubs’ youth academies and coaching set ups across the country. These young Asian talents are about to change the football picture.

Harpal Singh
“I started playing football as soon as I could walk,” says 25 year-old Harpal Singh, who hails from Pudsey in Leeds and was part of the Leed United youth set up since he was 13. Now playing for Stockport County, he had been tipped to be the first Asian to play for England. Former Leeds manager George Graham was reported in a local newspaper saying, “Liverpool may have Michael Owen, but we have Harpal Singh.”

How did you develop an interest in the game?
I’d always play with my older brother in the garden and when he got a bit older he’d go out and play with his mates and I’d go along. Things just took off from there really.

What do your parents think about your football?
They’ve supported me all the way. Every game my Dad can make it to he’s there watching me, and my Mum’s a big fan – she always asks how I got on.

Do you ever go to the Asian tournaments that take place across the country?
Yeah, I go to watch the one in Bradford which takes place about five minutes across the road from where I live. I also know a few people that play. It’s good to go and watch.

Do people in Pudsey know what you’re doing?
All the people from my old school know what I am doing and the teachers ask how I’m getting on and keep in touch. And my friends are always asking me about when they’re gonna get my name on the back of their shirt.

On loan at Bury
What sort of player do you think you are?
I’m a winger a bit like Ryan Giggs, I like running at players and taking them on.

How important is your identity and the fact that you’re Asian?
I’ve always known it’s going to be different with me being Asian but I’m proud to be Asian and don’t see that as a problem. It makes me more determined to make it. I want to be the first Asian player to make it. The fans won’t be used to seeing Asian players running around. I may get a bit of reaction. But they’ll get used to it.

What would you do if you don’t make it in football?
I’d like to go into the leisure industry, maybe, to coach Asian kids and promote football.

What would you say to any Asian youngsters trying to make it?
Be single minded about the way you approach the game. Don’t think of yourself as an outcast, play your football and enjoy it and whatever happens, happens.

Kick It Out Week of Action 2006
17 - 30 October 2006, Nationwide
Football family comes together with communities to take a stand against racism

"Football? It's our vehicle because, for most of us, it's our passion."
Rashid Bhayat, Coventry Positive Futures project

©2006 KICK IT OUT

Harpal Singh is a joke - built up from the age of 16 due to the EPL desparation to get an Asain player playing in a first team, he was never good enough to play for Leeds and was only there as a PR tool! Hence the reason to worst Stockport COunty team in 20 years even let him go.

Saying that LoI should be about his level and he could do well for us!

gustavo
04/07/2006, 7:54 PM
Saying that LoI should be about his level and he could do well for us!
I wouldnt be so sure of that , he might struggle if his fitness is as bad as Stockport fans say

Rovers1
04/07/2006, 10:28 PM
I wouldnt be so sure of that , he might struggle if his fitness is as bad as Stockport fans say

one could go as far as saying he a bit on the 'Stocky' side!!! :D :D

where do i collect my prize??

Rory H
05/07/2006, 2:21 PM
so the weekender is reporting a 32 year old premiership player may join us

and horsefield is....32....

*x files music*

Redzer
05/07/2006, 3:20 PM
so the weekender is reporting a 32 year old premiership player may join us

and horsefield is....32....

*x files music*

As are a few hundred others:p

*Muppet Show music*

The Stars
05/07/2006, 4:50 PM
thats a bit of a sexist post redzer

Rory H
06/07/2006, 11:34 AM
As are a few hundred others:p

*Muppet Show music*

there was no music to the muppets....

avvenalaf
06/07/2006, 2:11 PM
Of course there was..........

It's time to face the music
It's time to light the lights.
It's time to get things started
on The Muppet Show tonight.

It's played at Finn Park when the team are coming on the pitch.

redrov2005
06/07/2006, 3:22 PM
Just a thought and its nothing personal, but is it really necessary for a club like Rovers to have a full time reserve goal-keeper. Of course we need to have a back up keeper on our books, but surely a part-time keeper like Ciaran Kelly would be good enough to provide cover.

The Stars
06/07/2006, 8:07 PM
I think 2 full time keepers is better because it improves both of there games and therefor level of performance as they know if one starts to go off form the other one could easily take thier place.
having said that,Dick Brush would be good enough for a few teams in this league.

redrov2005
06/07/2006, 9:55 PM
I think 2 full time keepers is better because it improves both of there games and therefor level of performance as they know if one starts to go off form the other one could easily take thier place.
having said that,Dick Brush would be good enough for a few teams in this league.

I agree that competition for places is good. of course it is. What i'm wondering is whether having 2 full time players for that particular postion is necessary when you could have a part time keeper like Ciaran Kelly ready to step in. I mean we don't have a full time player who is cover for the left back position at the moment do we ?

The Stars
06/07/2006, 9:59 PM
no we dont.i can see where your coming from with your point aswell.

feo123
06/07/2006, 10:25 PM
in fairness....if any of these english based players were any good dye not think they wud still be playin there??