PDA

View Full Version : It's Just Like Watching Brazil!

SSS
05/07/2002, 9:32 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

no words can describe it.

Stand Sitter

clarke
05/07/2002, 11:16 PM
How good was it - I've only seen the score on teletext?

mouldymurphy
05/07/2002, 11:21 PM
class like he said twas like watching brazil!!!
i loved the clown from the family section the fella in yellow ! pitty he wasnt taken off by security when the match started:mad: gutless *******:mad:
other than that great crowd great weather great team and to finish a good evening i loved hurling abuse at money bags who done sueet f all

ps anyone else get the sunglasses in the shop there class green white green stripes with city wrote across them and for only 10 euro and they did come in handy

whose on top of the league !!!:D

clarke
05/07/2002, 11:26 PM
Sounds like it was excellent. How big was the crowd?

mouldymurphy
05/07/2002, 11:45 PM
not far from full house

Neil
06/07/2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by clarke
Sounds like it was excellent. How big was the crowd?

Unbelievable!

Crowd.. I'd say 5,500....

Neil
06/07/2002, 12:39 AM
George O'Callaghan
Tra lala la la
George O'Callaghan
Tra La lala la la la!

John O'Flynn
He Sticks 'em in.....

eoinh
06/07/2002, 12:44 AM
ild say it was close to 7000. city were great. great atmosphere, great weather, great crowd. maybe this summer soccer will catch on after all!!! i liked the new strip as well. there will be some competition for places this year. pitch was great looking too. shels were crap though. i think the occassion got to poor old ollie!!!

Neil
06/07/2002, 12:57 AM
O'Flynn & O'Callaghan produced one of the most skillful performances by two City strikers ever seen at the Cross.

Mulconroy and Bennett were outstanding in the middle.

Warren did good on the left (considering he's NOT a left-winger).
Colin very solid on the right.

Cronin and Napier have to stay at the back. Sorry Deccie - your time is up.

The 'Missing 6' will have to work hard to get their game next week.

The green gear is the job.

Chant of the night: "Let's all laugh at Ollie..."

Flags filling the back of the Shed were a good addition.

SÓC
06/07/2002, 2:50 AM
Correct me if I wrong but did Mucky not play on the right and Colin in the middle???I thought at first that Colin would be on the right, for most of the game he played on the right, himself and Carey doing a super job on poor old Ollie.

O'Flynn's first goal was just somthing else.

Where is all the hoofing gone:):)

We must keep our heads on the ground tho' it was Fenlons first match in charge and Shel's just wern't at the races today.

Neil
06/07/2002, 8:40 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
We must keep our heads on the ground tho'
And our feet held high!

Gary
06/07/2002, 11:57 AM
Nice one. But unfortunatley I have now been exposed as the jinx! Im away, City win. *******s!

Oh I so wish I was there last night.

Troy.McClure
06/07/2002, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Correct me if I wrong but did Mucky not play on the right and Colin in the middle??? Yup, thats right.

That WAS the best performance from City since Dave Barry left, and even when he was there, you'd have to rank it as one of the best City performances ever! (Although they wernt great until the first went in, but we'll leave them off with that;) )

Pablo
06/07/2002, 3:43 PM
Well i woke up this morning and i thought it was a dream untill a quick look at the teletext confirmed, that it was indeed a supurb nite for City.

Those new guys look supurb, and with the likes of Woodsie, andrews, CPOB, Rennie, Mulligan;) and a couple of others still to come into the team, dare i say it things are looking good?

I must also point out the good form has coincided with my return:p

dalo
06/07/2002, 6:13 PM
Lads and ladies I have died and gone to footie heaven. that was the best city perforance I have seen in 4 years with two of the best goals u will ever see.

georgie boy and young flynn looked fantastic.

paul flynn - the new pat morley?

the club haveset high standars let's hope they can maintain them.

Colm
06/07/2002, 7:12 PM
Originally posted by dalo
paul flynn - the new pat morley?Paul Flynn, would he be anything to our newfound scoring sensation John O'Flynn?! :D :D

Seriously though, City were fantastic, The crowd was fantastic, The weather was fantastic, The atmospere was fantastic, The Flags at the back of the Shed were fantastic, I could keep on going- lets just say it was a fantastic night all round!!!!!!;)

ccfcman
06/07/2002, 8:31 PM
Originally posted by clarke
Sounds like it was excellent. How big was the crowd? Speaking to jackie lennox he said 5671 showed up.no doubt all ticket next home match versus UCD.intersting to see how George (best!) o'callaghan and o'flynn get on against eugene delany.the shed was colourful noisy and for the first time in a WHILE it was truley exciting.city 4 the league? too early to say.city for a spot of silverware? oh ya!

patsh
08/07/2002, 8:10 AM
Well done to all for the extremely colourful display on Friday night. It was a joy and a pleasure to be there on Friday night, and I nominate Gunther for manager of the season....:D
It was brilliant to see that much of a crowd at the game, and with a bit of luck, some fine evenings and a few more displays like that of Friday's, crowds of around 5,000 could be at the cross regularly.
There were some good signs there for the season ahead, David Warren, in particular, seemed to be a cut above the rest, Ollie did nothing, (except for the ball he cleared off the line), and it doesn't look like he will be missed very much. The great thing about the game to me, was that it now looks like there will be real competition fo places which can only be a good thing. It's a pity the St. Pat's game will be postponed(?), as after a start like that, you want to keep it the momentum going. Anyway, well done lads, I cannot remember feeling as good as I did leaving the cross on Friday night in a long, long time.....:)

Ali-G
08/07/2002, 8:43 AM
Nice summary oddboy. The best City performance since that famous 4-4 against Shels a few years ago. The new boys all looked a class above the standard. They definitely raised the games of the other city players. I have to say hats off to Colin O Brien for his performance in central midfield. And Mucca on the right is a class player, very composed. The shed looked great with all the flags. I think the shed summed it up nicely with the "Can we stay here all night" song. All the frustration of the past few years washing away.
legendary.

James
08/07/2002, 8:55 AM
yea both the noise and the colour from the shed and indeed from all round the ground was great.. think i read somewhere where they estimated an attendance of 7,000 .. not too shabby eh..and that second goal from o'flynn was magic

also fair play to the programme people..good article on the skibb trip (that i missed) and a nice pic of the new minging green jersey

not sure bout muccy though.. needs more confidence that he actually can take on and get round players..

-----

George O Callaghan
tra la la la laa laaaa

:D

vssn
08/07/2002, 10:01 AM
Great night, Qs outside the ground, shed in full voice, smallies taking penos at haltime, new green strip, 3-0 to The Cork City.
Lets all laugh at Ollie ha, ha, ha!!!

citylove
08/07/2002, 12:41 PM
Great display! Mucca I thought was outstanding and O'flynn and Georgie were class. I was also very happy that we didn't concede any goal, shels I think didn't even create a half decent chance. It all argues well for the season.

Seanie
08/07/2002, 1:29 PM
I could hardly believe my ears when I rang home Friday night for the score - and then to hear about the performance makes it all the more sweeter. I was proudly wearing my CCFC shirt around the streets of Chicago on Friday. When I thought back on all our miserable season openers in the past, I reckoned I would have been pleased with a draw - instead we got the finest performance in years and there seems to be an undoubtable potential in this squad.

pete
08/07/2002, 1:49 PM
Eventhough we won by 3 goals seemed to play well within ourselves especially when shel$ down to 10 men. Would have been much better if i noticed was Molloy whop got sent off too :D

We didn't really create that many changes although O'Flynn finished his very well. If he can finish like that from the edge of the box should cause a lot of problems to eL defenses through the season.

I still think crowd of about 5,000 as 8,000 is capacity with everywhere full.

Team can only be stronger with Billy & O'Grady back so have good subs available too.

Careys crossing was poor again but at least have the option of moving Gareth to left full & getting Hoggie to swop sides in an option.

btw maybe Lennox is improving thinks as match day organisation & comercial propmotions in the programme were a good improvement - i'm not saying wasn't good before, just getting better now ;)

James
08/07/2002, 2:11 PM
not sitting on the fence

ok then i'll say it

match day b4 wasnt great

this time wasnt great either
not enough stiles open or access points to the cross due to lack of volunteers and hands to do all the many matchday jobs

hence we have a big big que outside the ground and a congested area where 3 or 4 diff que's were all around the same area betweej queing for tickets.. queing for chips and the different queues outside each of the turnstiles.... even though in the end they changed and allowed you to buy tickets at the gates rather then que for the ticket hut thing ...

i duno all looked a bit messy to me

and it wasnt really people arriving late either as i was out side the ground a good 90mins b4 KO and those que's started a good 30/40 mins b4 ko

as for the other commercial things
programme good / new ads appearing so thats good.. (BETTER then seeing all the directors personal business's being advertised every issue)

Colm
08/07/2002, 3:06 PM
Check out the Peoples Republic of Cork. They got a piece about the match and there a few nice pics from friday there too.

niamh
08/07/2002, 3:19 PM
I was annoyed I was going to miss the match before the event and now I'm even more ****ed off...
Credit to everybody who was at TC on Friday, even the Dubs are talking about it.

dalo
08/07/2002, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by James

i duno all looked a bit messy to me

and it wasnt really people arriving late either as i was out side the ground a good 90mins b4 KO and those que's started a good 30/40 mins b4 ko

every issue)

good point james about the situation outside the ground. it did look a bit of a shambles. turners cross needs to be able crowds of 8,000 in terms of tickets sales and the like and having two hanleys tool sheds isn't ideal.

still though it makes form some games last season where a crowd would be no more than a couple of hundred people. nevertheless some preparation would be good

pete
08/07/2002, 3:53 PM
I suppose we could say looks good that people have to queue to get in but hopefully Lennox & the volunteers will have a look at the situation & make some changes.

On the other hand any of the dublin grounds would have crowd congestion trying to accomadate over 5000 people too but they don't see that many people very often ;)

James
08/07/2002, 4:01 PM
yea thats the thing i can see us getting crowds like this as long as the weather stays good, and we dont go into free-fall

even an average season will aslong as weather is ok.. IMO bring out these crowds..

so ccfc better get used to it, cause i cant see us getting a delayed KO every week we play at home :)

Colm
09/07/2002, 2:21 PM
Maybe, they should close off the curragh road like they did for the celtic match last year. This would give people more space to form orderly queues etc.

Troy.McClure
09/07/2002, 3:44 PM
It would be an idea aswell if advance tickets were sold in town (or certain chipshops) in advance of the matches during the week aswell.
If they dont have enough volunteers then why do they put 2 at each gate? There used only be one before if my memory serves me corectly.

PS The last player to score 2 goals on his debut (also against a Dublin team) was the great Jason Kabia, so lets just sit tight for a while and see how things pan out.

joe
09/07/2002, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
It would be an idea aswell if advance tickets were sold in town (or certain chipshops) in advance of the matches during the week aswell.
If they dont have enough volunteers then why do they put 2 at each gate? There used only be one before if my memory serves me corectly.

PS The last player to score 2 goals on his debut (also against a Dublin team) was the great Jason Kabia, so lets just sit tight for a while and see how things pan out.

i know they're from 'up there' but dundalk can hardly be considered a dublin team, can they?

btw Kabia actually made his debut the week before that match down in Cobh in the League Cup, but who's counting ;)

James
09/07/2002, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by joe
btw Kabia actually made his debut the week before that match down in Cobh in the League Cup, but who's counting ;)

evidently you are joseph
:D

ccfcman
13/07/2002, 8:35 PM
right all this talk about poor crowd handling is 4 only 1 reason.it was the largest crowd for a league match since it has been revamped i.e. eircom League