PDA

View Full Version : Where to watch the World Cup final in Longford

lefty
29/06/2006, 11:05 AM
Off topic, and off threads but who cares. Im going to be in Connolly barracks for the night of the world cup final :( and was wondering what is the best pub to go to watch the match. Cheers

Pauro 76
29/06/2006, 11:48 AM
stuck in Longford on a World Cup final night, unlucky... ;) its on a Sunday so my best bet would be PV's or Eamon's if your talking about watching it in a decent crowd..

max power
29/06/2006, 11:56 AM
or stay in the barracks and avail of the cheap booze.

town73
29/06/2006, 12:25 PM
Don't go to the nearest pub to the barracks, Keogh's, 'cos there's no telly there. The above mentioned, plus Valentine's (Main St).

pineapple stu
29/06/2006, 12:29 PM
Always liked the Stillery too on the Strokestown road (just at the junction with the Longford Arms). I think yourself, myself and Drunken Kieran were there till all hours one night.

Longford's a great place for pubs though - pick any one and you should be OK!

Wiseguy
29/06/2006, 3:31 PM
Was in the barracks on Saturday night last and got 2 pints of Heineken,1 can of Bulmers and a Smirnoff Ice for 10.70:eek: !!!!!!! C'mon the Town.

Pauro 76
29/06/2006, 3:39 PM
Always liked the Stillery too on the Strokestown road (just at the junction with the Longford Arms). I think yourself, myself and Drunken Kieran were there till all hours one night.

Is the Stillery closed down these days? the Anvil's a handy spot too. but dont whatever you do end up in Odyssey. Classy clientele there...

pineapple stu
29/06/2006, 6:41 PM
Is it closed?!?! :eek:

Didn't look it when last I was in town. Though that was what - last October, I think?

town73
29/06/2006, 8:00 PM
Is the Stillery closed down these days? the Anvil's a handy spot too. but dont whatever you do end up in Odyssey. Classy clientele there...

The Stillery has been taken over by LTFC legend (and former manager) Zack Hackett (along with another guy). They have one of those pull-down screens (not a fan of them) as well as a widescreen.

Agree about the Anvil - one of the best pints in town.

Pauro 76
30/06/2006, 7:48 AM
The Stillery has been taken over by LTFC legend (and former manager) Zack Hackett (along with another guy). They have one of those pull-down screens (not a fan of them) as well as a widescreen.

Agree about the Anvil - one of the best pints in town.

wasnt Zack behind the bar at the Tally Ho at one stage?

Maz
30/06/2006, 10:16 AM
Zack and Damien are doing well in the Stillery. Was down there watching the Portugal and Holland game. There was a nice crowd there also

Pauro 76
30/06/2006, 10:27 AM
Always liked the spot. What happened to Paddy Stapleton the last guy who ran it? always a man to give a few free pints to his namesake....

Martinho II
30/06/2006, 3:35 PM
paddy upped sticks and left to go back to meath. i believe that he is running a restaurant apparently.

town73
01/07/2006, 11:53 AM
wasnt Zack behind the bar at the Tally Ho at one stage?

For many, many years. Great character.

On the subject of the Tally Ho, and getting back to the thread topic, it would be my personal recommendation of a venue for the final. Get in early to get a seat. Usually a decent atmosphere.

Pauro 76
17/07/2006, 9:54 AM
Off topic, and off threads but who cares. Im going to be in Connolly barracks for the night of the world cup final :( and was wondering what is the best pub to go to watch the match. Cheers

after all that, where did ya end up watching the game Lefty? what did ya reckon?