PDA

View Full Version : Books for this summer

liam88
23/06/2006, 1:24 PM
As the exams come to an end next Thursday (whey!) I've picked out the books I want to read over the summer:

China Shakes the World or China: Friend or Foe? -both on the emerging power of China and postive/negative aspects, predictions etc.

The State of Africa -big ol' book on how Africa went from being a new hope at independence to "a scar on the conscience of the world" today. Focuses on the wars, famines, corruption, leaders and neo-colonialism

The End of Poverty -by Kofi Annans' advisor laying out how and why it is possible to end poverty by 2025

What's everyone else reading at the moment? Has anyone read any of these?

TheOwl
23/06/2006, 9:48 PM
Pah - I often think that fiction can make far more powerful points about the world we live in. The three books that would have made me really think about my (and other peoples) place in the world, would be 1984 - George Orwell; and the Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

All three are must reads, and all three, especially the Steinbeck two, should help make you a better person (as gay as that sounds)

Kingdom
27/06/2006, 3:42 AM
As the.... blah blah blah....Has anyone read any of these?

Oh my God! Do you ever do anything normal? Perhaps lighten up and read a copy of this month's FHM or Maxim. The only thing you'll be revolting against will be underwear.

shakermaker1982
27/06/2006, 11:23 AM
Cloud Atlas is worth a read. Nearly finish Red Mist and am enjoying that.

liam88
27/06/2006, 1:18 PM
Oh my God! Do you ever do anything normal?
Meaning what exactly? :confused:

SligoBrewer
28/06/2006, 7:00 PM
Oh my God! Do you ever do anything normal? Perhaps lighten up and read a copy of this month's FHM or Maxim. The only thing you'll be revolting against will be underwear.

:o okay...:o

SligoBrewer
28/06/2006, 7:04 PM
Of Mice and Men by steinbeck is good....did it for the jc...

the great hunger by cecil woodham-smith is good as well...

ive heard stuff bout the boy in the striped pyjamas as well...

did anyone read the 3rd policeman by flann o'brien?

Seagull
28/06/2006, 7:26 PM
Foul- The secret world of FIFA by Andrew Jennings. And you thought the FAI was bad!!!!!!!!!!

Block G Raptor
30/06/2006, 3:38 PM
Just started reading Holy Blood and the Holy grail ( the book which Dan Brown was accused of Plagerising(sp?)) really getting into it. Its an interesting insight into medieval history and politcs so far I haven't got near the part that covers the Jesus/Magadalene conspiracy theory! I'm open minded about this kind of thing so I'm not gouing to rubbish the theory outright but I must say so far the authors research seems a bit strange and some of the supposed links between events and people seem tenious at best but I'll reserve judgement untill I've read it all

TheOwl
30/06/2006, 8:42 PM
Cloud Atlas is worth a read.

Loved it - great book!