PDA

View Full Version : eircom league to dissolve

passerrby
22/06/2006, 5:28 PM
well it looks like the end for the eircom league as we know it , a special general meeting will be held next thur week to vote on the merger which clubs will vote yes and which will vote no i wonder

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 5:31 PM
Possible nos, Kilkenny, Monaghan, Dub City, UCD (no inside info, just my guess), Limerick (most to lose?).

I'd say Waterford will be a definite yes with most to gain, Derry will be a definite yes, Shels will, probably Cork, Drogs, Bohs, Pat's. Clubs not mentioned will lean towards a yes as well I think.

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2006, 5:33 PM
I think:

UCD, Sligo, Limerick, Dublin City will all definitely vote no.

Shels, Derry, Cork, Drogs, Longford, Waterford, Bray, Shamrock Rovers, St. Pats, Bohs, Galway, Dundalk, Finn Harps will definitely vote yes.

This leaves a 5 First Division clubs who will not be affected by the proposal that will make the difference.

The Stars
22/06/2006, 5:48 PM
why would Sligo vote no?
you must know something we dont....

joema
22/06/2006, 5:52 PM
Id be pretty sure that kilkenny city will vote yes!! I know you are only guessing but why do you think that kilkenny will vote no?... you could be right but i dont think so

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2006, 5:56 PM
why would Sligo vote no?
you must know something we dont....
Well they have been ranked 14th for the 50% on the field. The other 50% will probably make up for it but they could vote no to be safe I feel.

pineapple stu
22/06/2006, 6:39 PM
I would imagine you can count on "no"s from the clubs who voted no originally - UCD, Dublin City, Monaghan and Waterford. I would reckon with "no"s, if they're going to come from anywhere, to come from Harps, Bray, Sligo and Limerick as well. Possibly Kilkenny also, who face the risk of relegation from the First Division if it comes in.

Question is - will the proposal stand a legal challenge?

pete
22/06/2006, 6:45 PM
Question is - will the proposal stand a legal challenge?

How can there be a legal challenge?

The eL is made up of 22 member clubs. If majority of these clubs effectively vote to resign how can anyone stop them...

pineapple stu
22/06/2006, 6:47 PM
The motion has to be legal to begin with. If the population of Ireland were to democratically vote to maim you seriously (an extreme example, but the logic still works), does that make their actions legal? If the motion is illegal, it invalidates the vote, I would imagine.

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 7:45 PM
I would imagine you can count on "no"s from the clubs who voted no originally - UCD, Dublin City, Monaghan and Waterford.

Waterford voted no? Why? Don't they have the least to lose in the new process?

Battery Rover
22/06/2006, 8:20 PM
I think:

UCD, Sligo, Limerick, Dublin City will all definitely vote no.

Shels, Derry, Cork, Drogs, Longford, Waterford, Bray, Shamrock Rovers, St. Pats, Bohs, Galway, Dundalk, Finn Harps will definitely vote yes.

This leaves a 5 First Division clubs who will not be affected by the proposal that will make the difference.

Athlone should be voting yes even though we are screwed by it apparently. Gotta support Paddy

SligoBrewer
22/06/2006, 9:20 PM
we should be voting yes in fairness

pineapple stu
22/06/2006, 9:35 PM
Waterford voted no? Why? Don't they have the least to lose in the new process?
I suppose. Maybe common sense will prevail! Waterford voted no originally, but that was before the start of the season when they weren't in their current predicament.

OneRedArmy
22/06/2006, 10:54 PM
The motion has to be legal to begin with. If the population of Ireland were to democratically vote to maim you seriously (an extreme example, but the logic still works), does that make their actions legal? If the motion is illegal, it invalidates the vote, I would imagine.
Truly the words of the desperate. Last time I checked forming a league of like minded clubs wasn`t & offence on the statute book.

The process can most certainly be delayed by legal challenges (through a restraint order) but in the long-term a legal challenge is very unlikely to succeed.

If I wanted to form a league consisting only of clubs beginning with the letter R, would that be illegal?

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 10:59 PM
If I wanted to form a league consisting only of clubs beginning with the letter R, would that be illegal?

If you happened to be the national association fo a country setting up a top flight you'd be contravening a UEFA resolution.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=64/newsId=406848.html (See number 2)

OneRedArmy
22/06/2006, 11:27 PM
If you happened to be the national association fo a country setting up a top flight you'd be contravening a UEFA resolution.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=64/newsId=406848.html (See number 2)I`m not sure you can contravene a principle, as it isn`t a rule per se, but thats by the by.

Good luck if you are trying to use those principles as a defence, given they were specifically aimed at the G14 clubs, a world away from the Irish domestic scene.

Given UCD fans are talking openly of a legal challenge can we assume your club have already decided to seek to delay or otherwise derail the new league in the event of a yes vote?

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2006, 11:29 PM
It's states that it's a resolution and it was adopted by 52 delegates so it wasn't just aimed at G14 clubs.

Roverstillidie
22/06/2006, 11:49 PM
there was no 'original' vote.

people on this board no as much about who will vote what as the man on the moon.

yet another thread on this descends into UCD led panic and lecturing.

you dont like it, we know. change the record

pineapple stu
23/06/2006, 8:35 AM
Just trying to get some intelligent debate going on the subject. Makes a change from the usual FAI-pandering we've been getting in the media.

pineapple stu
23/06/2006, 9:13 AM
Given UCD fans are talking openly of a legal challenge can we assume your club have already decided to seek to delay or otherwise derail the new league in the event of a yes vote?
Sorry, missed this one. I would imagine we'll be voting no, given that we didn't vote for originally. I genuinely don't know if there's going to be a legal challenge or not. Obviously we'll have to see what happens first, but I've been told by at least one club official of a club in favour that UCD won't be getting into the Premier, so the concern is justified.

UCD were never ones for taking things lying down - we challenged and won our case against Shels when they refused to pay the Alan Cawley transfer fee, we challenged and won our case against Drogheda when they refused to pay the Pat Sullivan transfer fee, we challenged and (partly) won our case when we were fined over a Shamrock Rovers shouting "Paki" in the last game of last season (the fine was reduced by a good bit at least). So it'll be interesting to see what happens if we get screwed over. I certainly don't think that the vote has to be the end of it anyway.

I would imagine Dublin City would be in a similar boat. And any club who gets screwed over, in fact.

pineapple stu
23/06/2006, 12:46 PM
Interesting snippet in The Mirror today - Limerick's Danny Drew threatening legal action if Limerick win the First Division but don't get allowed into the Premier. Any Limerick fans know if this means a "no" vote as well, or how are youz likely to vote?

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2006, 12:47 PM
Would they take legal action if they came second and won the playoff?

pineapple stu
23/06/2006, 12:51 PM
I assume so.

The quote is

There is a long way to go and I don't want to prejudice anything, but if we were to get into the PRemier DIvision on sporting merit, then I would be a proud man.
I'd also be an angry man if we were then told 'Sorry, you can't join the party.' As far as I'm concerned, nobody's going to keep us out.
If that means going to the High Court, then Limerick will do it. I don't believe it will come to that as a club because we have got our house in order.

Patrick Dunne
23/06/2006, 1:00 PM
Limerick have got their house in order ?

Yes, their excellent Hogan Park complex is state of the art
and they will soon have a website.

Rory H
23/06/2006, 4:10 PM

yawn yawn yawn mr krusty man....why does every thread we have about the new league turn into a slag off each others ground match[it was a good match in the day though]

rovers will be voting yes...that is guaranteed

Red&White Rover
23/06/2006, 4:31 PM
we have to vote yes! cant see why we wouldnt?

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2006, 4:49 PM

But they will probably fail to make the elite premier due to their poor recent performances.

pineapple stu
24/06/2006, 12:13 AM
Because you might well get relegated?

dmanetc - meet sarcasm.

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2006, 12:16 AM
dmanetc - meet sarcasm.
Well I've never been to Limerick so knew nothing about their ground!

Buller
26/06/2006, 12:52 AM
But they will probably fail to make the elite premier due to their poor recent performances.
Yeah i think he was taking the p!ss there, lol.:rolleyes:
Its a complete kip at the moment... whatever happened to their plans for a 7,200 all-seater stadium?:confused:

monkey magic
26/06/2006, 5:28 PM
because ye possibly wouldent make the cut.

and, by my limited understanding neither would we, which makes me wonder why everyones so sure were gonna vote yes??

The Stars
26/06/2006, 9:42 PM
if we dont make it,we should join the Irish League up the North,as should everyone else.