PDA

View Full Version : Trouble for Dundalk?

Philly
22/06/2006, 5:07 PM
> Can artificial turf cause cancer? 13/6/2006

Last week the Dutch consultancy firm Intron published a report into the consequences to player's health of playing on artificial turf. The results are alarming: Certain component parts of artificial turf could possibly be carcinogenic.

The main culprits, according to the report, are the small rubber granules which are scattered on the artificial turf to imitate the natural effects of real grass. These granules, made from ground car tyres, contain too high a concentration of PAHs. Exposure of the skin to these hydrocarbons can lead to cancer.

No standards exist in the Netherlands for skin contact with PAHs. Due to the lack of a government standard, the guideline from the German TÜV institute has been used for the study. If this directive is followed then, according to the report, it appears that ‘the rubber infill granules do not satisfy the requirement of 10 mg/kg PAH by a contact time of more than 30 seconds. It does satisfy the requirement by a contact time of less than 30 seconds.’ In other words: A serious indication that an injured player who lies for several minutes on the ground could run health risks.

Intron comes to the conclusion in its report that there is uncertainty about the consequences of exposure of the skin to PAHs. According to the report it is recommended to study the possible exposure to PAHs via skin contact in more detail.

In Italy the LND football league has earlier commissioned a similar study. On the basis of this study the LND decided to no longer permit matches on artificial turf with untreated PAHs.

http://www.fifpro.org/index.php?mod=one&id=15200

dcfcsteve
22/06/2006, 6:27 PM
Fcuk Dundalk - I play every Weds night on a pitch with them wee rubber things !:eek:

They get everywhere ! I usually have to pour them out of my boots in their tens when I get home.

Does sound a bit of a scare story though - even if I am no doctor.

LeixlipRed
22/06/2006, 6:31 PM
Those things are littered around my room. They get everywhere. Socks, boots, t-shirt and that other place where i really dont fancy getting cancer. Bit of an eye-opener that story, even if it is probably a scare story. Nothing is safe nowadays :D

Dodge
22/06/2006, 10:47 PM
YOu wanna play on the sand based astro. Far better all round....

Philly
22/06/2006, 11:17 PM
Mind you, what doesn't cause cancer any more? :mad:

LeixlipRed
23/06/2006, 12:43 AM
Mind you, what doesn't cause cancer any more? :mad:

sand! ;)

Raheny Red
23/06/2006, 11:05 AM
sand! ;)

But when in gets in your sandwhiches................................:mad:

dcfcsteve
23/06/2006, 1:08 PM
YOu wanna play on the sand based astro. Far better all round....

Sand-based astro is sooooo last century.... :D

Seriously - that's the surface that burns you when you slide on it. It's too short (hence why you need to use sand, not rubber), and doesn't feel like greass at all. And you still get the sand everywhere.

I thought the wee rubber bits on the new-age astro pitches were just ground-up rubber tyres ? If so - shouldn't every feckin' mechanic in the world be sweating it now ? Or, in the case of Ireland, be on the phone to a good compo lawyer...?

eamoss
23/06/2006, 3:30 PM
If that is true then I shud be gettin cancer any day now cos I play in JJB soccerdome twice a week and play in Oriel sometimes. Id say you have more a chance of gettin cancer from your mobile phone.

LeixlipRed
23/06/2006, 3:58 PM
Computer monitors can give you cancer too. We're all ****ed so. Might as well get a few games of astro in before we die