PDA

View Full Version : New York

PaulB
21/06/2006, 12:09 PM
Right Lads and Lassies. It's that time a year again, the time i dread. What do you get the misses for her birthday!

So i came up with a cracker, a trip to New York, she's never been, always wanted to go. Flights are OK, can get there with Aer Lingus for 308 return. Hotels are a bitch of a price, anyone got any recommendations. Looking for something central, not too pricey, but don't want a hole..

Cheers
Paul

Dotsy
21/06/2006, 12:39 PM
Try www.hotels.com I use it anytime I go to NY.

You should be able to get three star midtown hotel for about €100/120. Two star in NY gets a bit scummy.

Dodge
21/06/2006, 2:01 PM
Try www.hotels.com I use it anytime I go to NY.

You should be able to get three star midtown hotel for about €100/120. Two star in NY gets a bit scummy.
You'll be doing very very well to get a hotel in NY for that price. Pennsylvania Hotel is cheap and rgood quality but make sure you ask for a renovated room (read horror stories about the other rooms, we stayed there and it was perfect though). Its beside Macys and Madison Square garden. Stayed in the Carlton Arms before too and it was OK. Think we got a deal though. When are you going? Oh and if you're looking at hotels make sure to check them out on tripadvisor or virtualtourist

Conor H
21/06/2006, 2:03 PM
You're awful lucky!!
Unreal city you'll have a mad time!!:)

DmanDmythDledge
21/06/2006, 2:06 PM
Right Lads and Lassies. It's that time a year again, the time i dread. What do you get the misses for her birthday!

So i came up with a cracker, a trip to New York, she's never been, always wanted to go. Flights are OK, can get there with Aer Lingus for 308 return. Hotels are a bitch of a price, anyone got any recommendations. Looking for something central, not too pricey, but don't want a hole..

Cheers
Paul
I'll be going there in about a week. I'll let you know what my hotel is like/price.

carrickharp
22/06/2006, 7:36 AM
I will be taking notes on the prices of accomadation from you as well (looking on the internet and hotels seem very expencive alright) heading over in July for a few days and then driving to Chicago (BTW anyone ever do this drive before if so what is the best route? cheers).

Terry
22/06/2006, 8:36 AM
here is the only website you need:

http://www.booking.com/city/us/new-york.html?aid=305457

I always stay in the best western or quality hotels (same company) when I get to go to America. Nothing great about them, but sure all you'll be using them for is your activities in the bed and bathroom.:)

Will be touring the southern states myself from Florida to California for my honeymoon next year !!

PaulB
22/06/2006, 8:42 AM
Thanks Lads. Not going till November, so I can probably bide my time a bit. Almost impossible to get a half decent one for less then $250 a night..

Dodge
22/06/2006, 9:17 AM
Thanks Lads. Not going till November, so I can probably bide my time a bit. Almost impossible to get a half decent one for less then $250 a night..
Don't leave it too long. They book up real fast and there's no "downtime" in NY tourism (good luck if you're going at Thanksgiving) If you can book directly now with any hotels that don't charge you anything until you get there and allow you to cancel for free. I've booked into a Best Western in Chicago on this basis, hoping to maybe get cheaper (and two months later haven't)

PaulB
22/06/2006, 9:30 AM
Don't leave it too long. They book up real fast and there's no "downtime" in NY tourism (good luck if you're going at Thanksgiving) If you can book directly now with any hotels that don't charge you anything until you get there and allow you to cancel for free. I've booked into a Best Western in Chicago on this basis, hoping to maybe get cheaper (and two months later haven't)

Cheers Dodge, going last day of november for 4 days, Thanksgiving is 2nd Last thursday i think..

paul_oshea
22/06/2006, 10:49 AM
im going to chicago and san fran in september, just in case anyone wanted to know.

NY Hoop
22/06/2006, 10:51 AM
Try renting an apartment. I've used www.nyhabitat.com twice and had no problems. You can get an apt for €100 a night and the site has pics and all the local info.

When I lived there stayed in a fair few hostels. Want the addresses?!!

KOH

Metrostars
26/06/2006, 11:47 PM
Cheers Dodge, going last day of november for 4 days, Thanksgiving is 2nd Last thursday i think..

Thanksgiving this year is November 23. So you'll miss that crowd but still a lot of people come to NY between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Nothing like stolling up Central Park on a cool winter's morning!

Dodge
27/06/2006, 12:56 AM
Thanksgiving this year is November 23. So you'll miss that crowd but still a lot of people come to NY between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Nothing like stolling up Central Park on a cool winter's morning!
Everytime I'e been in NY, its been in December and yeah its full of tourists. Love the place...

newlad
27/06/2006, 10:31 PM

Cheers
Paul
paul she'll love ny as will u,but ur pocket will kill u,november is high shopping time in ny great deals great cuts,but go to jersey gardens its tax free shopping,ask in the hotel they'll tell u how to get there,hide ur credid card hehe, hope u enjoy great city.btw have a pint in the mad hatter 3rd avenue and 26th street nice sports bar

NJTom
28/06/2006, 11:32 PM
im going to chicago and san fran in september, just in case anyone wanted to know.

SF is the best place to be a single, straight man

paul_oshea
29/06/2006, 10:15 AM
is that really true or are you being smart? is it cos of all the gays? i dont mean that in a smart-ass way either.

should be a good laugh either way. ive been all over and lived in east coast america, but never been to the west coast.

NJTom
30/06/2006, 11:01 AM
is that really true or are you being smart? is it cos of all the gays? i dont mean that in a smart-ass way either.

should be a good laugh either way. ive been all over and lived in east coast america, but never been to the west coast.

I am being serious and it is because of the large gay male population of SF. A woman I know who lives there put it like this

If a man smells too good, he's gay. If he smells too bad, he's homeless.