PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon

DmanDmythDledge
20/06/2006, 6:19 PM
It should be really interesting this year. Federer has shown signs the past few months that he can be beaten, but on grass that's a different kettle of fish. It would be some achivement to win four straight titles and pressure never seems to get to him. I think the main challengers to him will be Roddick, Hewitt and Henman. Roddick has a good record on grass, Hewitt is in good form and Henman can never be ruled out on grass, with the home support always advantageous.. Henman could get unlucky with the draw though.

Dodge
20/06/2006, 7:08 PM
It should be really interesting this year. Federer has shown signs the past few months that he can be beaten, but on grass that's a different kettle of fish. It would be some achivement to win four straight titles and pressure never seems to get to him. I think the main challengers to him will be Roddick, Hewitt and Henman. Roddick has a good record on grass, Hewitt is in good form and Henman can never be ruled out on grass, with the home support always advantageous.. Henman could get unlucky with the draw though.
Henman has no chance. Either do the other two (Roddick's been awful all year, Hewitt hasn't played enough) Its Fed's all the way. Nalbandian is the only danger (and not a big one IMO)

TheOwl
21/06/2006, 9:14 PM
I think there is value in Hewitt, he arguably gave Nadal a better game than Fed at the French Open this year, and he loves the grass. A past winner, and also a four-time winner at Queen's. After watching him in the French (I worked on the event so I saw a lot of games) I backed Hewitt at 30.0 on Betfair and he is now hovering around the 18.0 mark.

It is grass however, so it is Fed's to lose, but he lost a number of sets in Halle last week, and he still seems a bit shaken by the French loss, that was the tournament he really wanted to win.

Henman won't be an easy game for anyone and as he is unseeded so he could catch a big name cold early on, however I don't think he has the quality to sustain a run at the title (semis would be a great achievement)

Nalbandian may be a past finalist but still I’m not convinced of him on grass, and the surface also looks to rule out Nadal, Ljubičić, and a bunch of others.

Roddick has had too many injuries for me, and if the draw allows out, I’m going for Fed, Hewitt, Ancic and Blake in the semis

With Fed beating Hewitt in the final (but not without a fight).

The women’s draw is wide open - with there being question marks about all the main contenders.

What odds a Venus vs. Hingis final? What a game that would be!

dfx-
21/06/2006, 11:32 PM
(Roddick's been awful all year) Nalbandian is the only danger (and not a big one IMO)

Roddick's carrying some injury isn't he? I like watching Nalbandian..but he frustrates the hell out of me when he's serving to hold a break...

Dodge
21/06/2006, 11:45 PM
Roddick's carrying some injury isn't he? I like watching Nalbandian..but he frustrates the hell out of me when he's serving to hold a break...
I bet (quite a lot) on tennis. Nobody makes me sweat more than Nalbandian.

drinkfeckarse
22/06/2006, 12:08 PM
Jeez I used to love Wimbledon.... I still enjoy playing the odd game but I don't go out of my way anymore to watch it. It's got a bit boring for me personally, too few characters about these days.

I know you're supposed to watch it for the skill etc before anyone gets onto me.

Dodge
22/06/2006, 12:42 PM
Can you name me 5 great charachters from tennis history please?

drinkfeckarse
22/06/2006, 1:23 PM
Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ilie Nastese, Henri Leconte, Pat Cash, Boris Becker and I'd almost go as far as saying Ivan Lendl was a character

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2006, 1:33 PM
I always enjoyed watching that player from the Middle East in the seniors tour. He was a real entertainer on the court.

Put Ivanesevic in the above list.

TheOwl
22/06/2006, 5:34 PM
Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ilie Nastese, Henri Leconte, Pat Cash, Boris Becker and I'd almost go as far as saying Ivan Lendl was a character

Ivan Lendl a characther - haha - although that could be about to change

see http://www.thesportingglobe.com/lendl.htm

gustavo
22/06/2006, 11:18 PM
Agassi always seemed to have a bit of life to him too and didnt come across as a robot

drinkfeckarse
23/06/2006, 8:23 AM
Ivan Lendl a characther - haha - although that could be about to change

see http://www.thesportingglobe.com/lendl.htm

He did come across as a bit of a machine but I used to hate him for it so that's what almost qualifies him in my book.

I don't hate any of todays players, they are just devoid of life.

frankbrett
23/06/2006, 12:16 PM
C'mon Tim (clenches fist)

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2006, 11:02 PM
Men's draw- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5105332.stm

Women's draw- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5105344.stm

Men's semis I think will be Federer vs Nalbandian and Hewitt vs Ljubicic.

dfx-
23/06/2006, 11:19 PM
Put Ivanesevic in the above list.

Which Ivanisevic though - nasty or nice Goran?:D Favourite player above all. Was made up for him in 2001.

Second favourite would've been Graf.

TheOwl
24/06/2006, 11:32 AM
Men's draw- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5105332.stm

Women's draw- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5105344.stm

Men's semis I think will be Federer vs Nalbandian and Hewitt vs Ljubicic.

Federer's quarter of the draw is unbelievably hard. Gasquet, Henman, Haas and Ancic all before the semis - wow. He won’t be given any time to feel his way into the tournament.

Meanwhile, the Nadal/Ljubicic quarter of the draw is a joke. It is clay court city - a complete outsider like Mardy Fish or even Agassi has a chance of doing something there, although I agree Ljubicic is probably the best of a bad lot. Nadal was better than expected at Queens too so you never know what he could do.

I think Blake would beat Nalbandian if they met in the quarters and Hewitt over Roddick in the other quarter for me.

I still see it being a Fed win over Hewitt in the final, but the draw means it won’t be easy for him.

The Stars
29/06/2006, 5:58 PM
Henman won't be an easy game for anyone and as he is unseeded so he could catch a big name cold early on, however I don't think he has the quality to sustain a run at the title (semis would be a great achievement)
well it was a pretty easy game for Fed....looks so assured and never seems to break sweat when playing,or los ehis temper either.

Nadal had a tough game today,grass isnt a good surface for him but should be a great game against Agassi.

CollegeTillIDie
02/07/2006, 6:47 PM
So What about the Scottish lad Andy then?

DmanDmythDledge
05/07/2006, 3:47 PM
So What about the Scottish lad Andy then?
Lost in the 4th round.

DmanDmythDledge
05/07/2006, 5:08 PM
Federer easily beat Ancic. He won't be beaten.

monkey magic
05/07/2006, 7:08 PM
I don't hate any of todays players, they are just devoid of life.

what bout this young cypriot fella marcos baghdatis?? he plays with a bit of character and heart...

anyone watchin the game at the moment btw?? great tussle between hewitt and himself looks like he has hewitt beaten

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2006, 8:51 PM
What about Gruntova in the Women's?

DmanDmythDledge
06/07/2006, 5:34 PM
What about Gruntova in the Women's?
Sharapova is suppose you mean. Lost in the semis.

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2006, 9:44 AM
So will it be Justine or Amelie? Come on Belgium :D

The Stars
09/07/2006, 4:42 PM
A man wins the womens championship.....what next.

Aberdonian Stu
10/07/2006, 9:50 AM
what next.

Federer actually dropped a set :eek: What's the world coming too? Missed both finals sadly. Federer is a joy to watch.

The Stars
10/07/2006, 10:26 AM
Federer was always going to win this one.
Nadal got off to a poor start and gave Federer something to fall back on.