PDA

View Full Version : Dooney learns from mistakes?

pete
03/07/2002, 10:28 AM
unison.ie (http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=782517)

Ultan
03/07/2002, 12:07 PM
Any chance you can just copy and paste the story?
I'm to lazy to register with them...

dahamsta
03/07/2002, 12:33 PM
[ Only for you Ultan. If I get sued for breach of copyright, you can cover my expenses... ]

EIRCOM LEAGUE FOCUS
Wednesday July 3rd 2002

Dooney learns from mistakes

AS the Eircom League of Ireland lurched from one controversy to another last season few would have gambled on its debutant Commissioner Roy Dooney being around to see in a new campaign.

But days before the 2002/03 season kicks-off, Dooney is still in situ, although somewhat chastened after being through the toughest baptism of fire imaginable. Treasure Ireland, Survivor and Castaway have nothing on the League of Ireland when it comes to the survival of the fittest.

No one would have blamed Dooney if he had chosen to walk after being caught in the middle as feuding clubs ripped him, and each other, apart around the boardroom table.

There were many calls for his head, and other parts of his body, but he survived them all and believes he is now in a position to put the lessons learnt from last season into practice.

"My intention is to press on. It has been difficult and I am conscious that there are several people who have called for my resignation and probably want me to get out," says Dooney who has just completed the first of a three-year contract.

"It was tougher than I expected. I came to the job as a fan of the League and, like a lot of people from outside, I had a simplistic view of what the League needed.

"It is only when you get in to work in the job that you realise how many deep and complex problems there are and that they are all linked together.

"The fundamental one is that the League is under-capitalised and there isn't enough money which creates its own tensions and pressures."

Of all the controversies which dogged last season it was the non-registration of two St Patrick's Athletic players which caused the biggest furore, especially as it eventually resulted in St Pat's being deducted 15 points and finishing fourth despite accumulating the most gross points.

"I accept that I did make mistakes. It was a steep learning curve and I hope I have learned from these mistakes. I have ensured the clubs that they won't be repeated."

Dooney strongly maintains that there are deep flaws within the structures of the Eircom League which need to be corrected if the organisation is to move forward.

He wants to see the strengthening of the powers of the League's professional administration staff so that eventually clubs will simply sign up to play in a League which is administered under the auspices of the FAI. At present he feels that too many cooks are spoiling the broth.

"Having the clubs involved in every single decision, like we have the moment, inevitably generates even more conflict and tension.

"I think the role of the clubs should be to map out a broad strategic direction and to be consulted on policy but when it comes to detail, like how competitions are run or decisions are taken, then they should not be heavily involved as they are at the moment."

This season is a transition between winter and summer soccer and while there are those who see the change as the panacea to all the domestic game's ills, Dooney explains that the cure isn't that simple.

"The first thing we have to do is get our own house in order so we don't keep being an object of ridicule. The product has to be right to attract people out and it has to be sold to them."

His biggest task will be to change the mindset of those clubs who fail to grasp the notion that they are shareholders in the League and need to be united if the professional game is to survive here.

"Clubs are looking for instant solutions but I'm afraid there isn't a Silver Bullet you can fire that will suddenly transform the whole thing around."

Gerry McDermott