PDA

View Full Version : Champions League draw

Pages : [1] 2

Colbert Report
19/06/2006, 8:32 AM
anyone know when it is and what Irish teams will be in it? also what round do they go into it? thanks

Poor Student
19/06/2006, 8:36 AM
The draw for the first qualifying round is this Friday the 23rd of June. The only Irish entrant is the champions Cork City and they go into the first qualifying round, unseeded.

This site has all you ever wanted to know about these things and much much more:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2006.html

bohsmug
19/06/2006, 9:45 AM
I can't believe they're unseeded for this. An Irish team has only failed to progress to the second qualifying round once this century! I was thinking maybe it was Corks own co-efficients that let them down? Even still I find that surprising given their efforts in the UEFA cup last year!

Pablo
19/06/2006, 11:07 AM
I can't believe they're unseeded for this. An Irish team has only failed to progress to the second qualifying round once this century! I was thinking maybe it was Corks own co-efficients that let them down? Even still I find that surprising given their efforts in the UEFA cup last year!

its Longfords fault obviously ;)

bohsmug
19/06/2006, 11:12 AM
its Longfords fault obviously ;)

Probably feckin' is! I noticed Shels co-effecients are fairly healthy.

pete
19/06/2006, 11:39 AM
If we had got a draw at home to Slabvia Prague last season Cork City would have been seeded this year.

Big opportunity for all 3 irish sides to progress to the 2nd qualifying rounds this season.

Colbert Report
19/06/2006, 5:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. So the winnner of the Eircome League goes into the Champions League first qualifying round and who goes into the UEFA Cup? Runner up in the league and winner of the League Cup?

Poor Student
19/06/2006, 5:59 PM
So the winnner of the Eircome League goes into the Champions League first qualifying round and who goes into the UEFA Cup? Runner up in the league and winner of the League Cup?

Runner up in the league and winner of the FAI Cup (that's not the League Cup).

OneRedArmy
19/06/2006, 7:20 PM
Big opportunity for all 3 irish sides to progress to the 2nd qualifying rounds this season.Exactly how big Pete given 2 of the teams Derry and Drogs can draw are IFK Gothenburg and Brondby?!

There's a reason why we are unseeded and its not all Longford's fault.

Given a favourable draw (eg Atvitabergs or Randers, or the Baltic teams) Drogs and ourselves have a good chance. Fingers crossed.

David
20/06/2006, 6:44 AM
Exactly how big Pete given 2 of the teams Derry and Drogs can draw are IFK Gothenburg and Brondby?!

There's a reason why we are unseeded and its not all Longford's fault.

Given a favourable draw (eg Atvitabergs or Randers, or the Baltic teams) Drogs and ourselves have a good chance. Fingers crossed.

Is that not what Pete is saying?

higgins
20/06/2006, 10:56 AM
If we had got a draw at home to Slabvia Prague last season Cork City would have been seeded this year.

Big opportunity for all 3 irish sides to progress to the 2nd qualifying rounds this season.

IF !!

We are very very close to being seeded every season for the next 5 years.

As for it being Longfords fault it's mostly their fault.

They have had the two easiest draws of recent times and failed to take the advantage. Not only did they fail to beat the FC cakemakers crowd but Vaduz also gave them the run around and as a result got themselves seeded.

If they had of got results in those games we would all be seeded now and not have to pray for a good draw next Friday. Cork Derry and Drogheda could face some difficult teams.

Pablo
20/06/2006, 11:36 AM
IF !!

We are very very close to being seeded every season for the next 5 years.

As for it being Longfords fault it's mostly their fault.

They have had the two easiest draws of recent times and failed to take the advantage. Not only did they fail to beat the FC cakemakers crowd but Vaduz also gave them the run around and as a result got themselves seeded.

If they had of got results in those games we would all be seeded now and not have to pray for a good draw next Friday. Cork Derry and Drogheda could face some difficult teams.

yes, death to Longballford!

JC_GUFC
22/06/2006, 1:19 AM
In the UEFA Cup realistically Drogheda and Derry should be confident of beating most of their possible opponents.

Brondby who have just finished 2nd in the Danish league would be too tough. Lyn Oslo of Norway and Brann Bergen who are currently top of the league would be bad draws too as would IFK Gothenborg. Kaunas are also walking the Lithuanian league and are probably too good. So that's 5 out of 14 who I couldn't see Derry & Drogheda beating. The 2 Finnish teams and Skonto Riga are probably about the same level - the rest should be beatable.

In the CL the obvious draw to want is Birkirkara from Malta, there are a lot of nasty trips to Eastern Europe but apart from maybe against the Cypriots and Slovenians, Cork should qualify.

David
22/06/2006, 6:44 AM
In the UEFA Cup realistically Drogheda and Derry should be confident of beating most of their possible opponents.

Brondby who have just finished 2nd in the Danish league would be too tough. Lyn Oslo of Norway and Brann Bergen who are currently top of the league would be bad draws too as would IFK Gothenborg. Kaunas are also walking the Lithuanian league and are probably too good. So that's 5 out of 14 who I couldn't see Derry & Drogheda beating. The 2 Finnish teams and Skonto Riga are probably about the same level - the rest should be beatable.

In the CL the obvious draw to want is Birkirkara from Malta, there are a lot of nasty trips to Eastern Europe but apart from maybe against the Cypriots and Slovenians, Cork should qualify.

The problem with Cyprus is the heat. We played there a few years ago and even though it was a 8pm kick off the heat was stifling, not helped by the Cypriots putting on the heating in the away dressing room. We got stuffed 5-1 out there and managed to beat them 5-3 at home which shows how major a factor the heat was.

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 7:24 AM
David, what are Linfield's plans for this summer? Do you intend to prepare better than Glens last season?

David
22/06/2006, 7:28 AM
David, what are Linfield's plans for this summer? Do you intend to prepare better than Glens last season?

Linfield have already started training and have a friendly game next Saturday away to Harlow Town and one on 6 July against Rangers. With the first game being so early it is difficult to do much more than that.

Poor Student
22/06/2006, 7:36 AM
Linfield have already started training and have a friendly game next Saturday away to Harlow Town and one on 6 July against Rangers. With the first game being so early it is difficult to do much more than that.

Are all the players back? It's an awkward situation alright. Whichever one of you is in the UEFA seems to do better with the longer time to prepare. Still, you'd expect Linfield to have a decent enough stab at it if the draw was right.

David
22/06/2006, 8:07 AM
Are all the players back? It's an awkward situation alright. Whichever one of you is in the UEFA seems to do better with the longer time to prepare. Still, you'd expect Linfield to have a decent enough stab at it if the draw was right.

Yes all the players are back. Not really longer to prepare as both first legs are same week. For UEFA though there is two weeks between the two matches instead of one. Also lower standard of opposition in UEFA Cup obviously. If the draw is right I think we can get through at least one round.

Raheny Red
22/06/2006, 8:26 AM
Who do the Cork/Derry/Drogs fans want to be paired with in the draws?

David
22/06/2006, 8:49 AM

I know you did not mention us but I would like us to get the Latvian team. We beat a Latvian team last year, easy enough country to get to and a great place for an away trip.

MariborKev
22/06/2006, 9:28 AM

Randers

Or maybe Lyn Oslo, who we beat in the late 60s, and were thus the first Irish team to go through a round AFAIK.....

Don't want Brondby, IFK Gothenburg or HJK Helsinki

David
22/06/2006, 9:40 AM
Randers

Or maybe Lyn Oslo, who we beat in the late 60s, and were thus the first Irish team to go through a round AFAIK.....

Don't want Brondby, IFK Gothenburg or HJK Helsinki

When in late 60's Maribor? I know we got to quarter final of European Cup in 1967. Not sure if this was first time we won a tie or not to be honest.

David
22/06/2006, 9:56 AM
I see looking at archives that Shelbourne win a tie in 1964-65 and Derry's win against Lyn Oslo was not until 1965-66 season.

rerun
22/06/2006, 10:21 AM
I see looking at archives that Shelbourne win a tie in 1964-65 and Derry's win against Lyn Oslo was not until 1965-66 season.
AFAIK it was the first time an Irish team progressed in a two legged tie.

Pablo
22/06/2006, 11:14 AM
a nice cheap trip to the baltics for me. easy to get to, hot women, cheap beer and a decent chance of progression

pete
22/06/2006, 11:28 AM
...a decent chance of progression

On or off the pitch? :D :D

David
22/06/2006, 12:20 PM
AFAIK it was the first time an Irish team progressed in a two legged tie.

Not according to here:

http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~mirad/Archive/FC1965.HTM

Obviously no away goals rule then and Shelbourne progressed in some sort of replay but there it was a two legged tie.

LeixlipRed
22/06/2006, 4:54 PM
We beat Beleneses 2-1 in a play off that year

WindmillWarrior
22/06/2006, 5:11 PM
HJK Helsinki for me. I used to live in Helsinki, hell of a spot, so I'd like to go back!

David
23/06/2006, 6:21 AM
HJK Helsinki for me. I used to live in Helsinki, hell of a spot, so I'd like to go back!

Was there a couple of years ago with Linfield andit is a good spot. Molly Malones pub certainly got a few Euros from Bluemen. Helsinki is a bit expensive though but a wee ferry to Tallinn is hard to beat.

iceman
23/06/2006, 8:56 AM
Is it possible to hear the draws live on the net?

pete
23/06/2006, 10:09 AM
Is it possible to hear the draws live on the net?

Uefa.com click on "live draw"

pete
23/06/2006, 10:11 AM
Cork City v Apollon from Cyprus, 1st leg at home

Poor Student
23/06/2006, 10:22 AM
Linfield got NK Gorica from Slovenia. They'll at least be getting another team who won't have started their season. They'll probably prove too strong for them though. Gorica have a good deal of European experience.

Poor Student
23/06/2006, 10:24 AM
Cork will play Red Star Belgrade if they win.

pete
23/06/2006, 10:26 AM
Cork will play Red Star Belgrade if they win.

Horrible draw, Belgrade not the nicest of trips.

Cyprus (holiday high season) & Belgrade going to be difficult for fans to travel to as well.

Poor Student
23/06/2006, 10:28 AM
Horrible draw, Belgrade not the nicest of trips.

Cyprus (holiday high season) & Belgrade going to be difficult for fans to travel to as well.

Serbs are a nice bunch of folks but Belgrade is a sh1tehole. They're also one of the better teams you could have drawn sadly. Anyway, crawl before you can walk, lets hope Cork do the business in Round 1.

micls
23/06/2006, 10:32 AM
lets hope Cork do the business in Round 1.

Going to be very hard. Cypriots very strong :(

Dodge
23/06/2006, 10:32 AM
Get the impression Cypriot football is moving up. Or have I got that totally wrong. Did their side nearly get in the competetion proper last year? Think its a really tough draw for Cork

pete
23/06/2006, 10:35 AM
I just realised its Red Star Belgrade (stupid Serb spelling) who of course are former European Cup winners! :eek:

micls
23/06/2006, 10:35 AM
Get the impression Cypriot football is moving up. Or have I got that totally wrong. Did their side nearly get in the competetion proper last year? Think its a really tough draw for Cork

I think you're right :(

Poor Student
23/06/2006, 10:37 AM
I just realised its Red Star Belgrade (stupid Serb spelling) who of course are former European Cup winners! :eek:

Well they're officially only known as Crvena (read that something like tsur-vena) Zvezda now. I did mention who they were in English earlier and you even quoted me.:confused:

higgins
23/06/2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah Famagusta went past Dinamo Minsk and Tranzonspor before getting knocked out by Rangers :(

One tough tough draw for Cork...
but then thats what can happen when your unseeded I suppose.

Lets hope Derry and Drogheda get a nice one now or we will be going backwards..

pete
23/06/2006, 10:48 AM
Red Star have 5 players in the Serbia squad at the world cup!

JC_GUFC
23/06/2006, 11:09 AM

That's the Serbian squad who got 0 points and conceded 10 goals!!

Terrible draw for Cork, the Cypriots were unbeaten for their whole league season. I'd expect Cork to struggle, hopefully they can get a 1-0 lead in the X to bring over there but I wouldn't give them much chance. Linfield got a terrible draw too.

higgins
23/06/2006, 11:10 AM

I thought you drew a team from Cyprus :rolleyes:

Bit ahead of yourself considering the way your playing and your lack of depth in the squad.
Honestly you will do very very well to get the Red Star

stickyjoe
23/06/2006, 11:17 AM
Tough draw for Cork on footballing merits alone and also going to be difficult playing in cyprus in july in that heat

ger121
23/06/2006, 11:19 AM
Tough draw but over the last 2 years Cork have put out some good opposition in europe. The Cypriots will think that was one of the harder unseeded teams they could have draw and will be far from a cake walk. Will be tricky for Cork but far from impossible.

Raheny Red
23/06/2006, 11:25 AM
For the away leg, there should be a few barstoolers present!

Terry
23/06/2006, 11:27 AM
Tough draw for Cork on footballing merits alone and also going to be difficult playing in cyprus in july in that heat

lets hope so for some good old miserable irish weather for when they are playing in the X.