PDA

View Full Version : Speed Bumps on roads

pete
16/06/2006, 1:25 PM
These really p!ss me off. Just like inverted pot-holes. :(

I don't mind on residential streets but dublin is littered with them, often placed on main roads. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the M50 to help traffic congestion :rolleyes:

They installing them on main road close to be but they just the partial bumps so achieve nothing but encouraging vehicles to swirve into the cycle lane.

John83
16/06/2006, 1:35 PM
These really p!ss me off. Just like inverted pot-holes. :(

I don't mind on residential streets but dublin is littered with them, often placed on main roads. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the M50 to help traffic congestion :rolleyes:

They installing them on main road close to be but they just the partial bumps so achieve nothing but encouraging vehicles to swirve into the cycle lane.
I'm not a driver, so they don't usually bother me. They do seem to be overused in places though.

Speaking of traffic calming, there's a hill in Mount Merrion where they added, erm, traffic peninsulas (?!) which basically turned the hill into a two-way, one lane slalom. I wish I had a photo handy. It's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen.

pete
16/06/2006, 1:49 PM
example here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2005/08/18/speed_bump_main_203x152.jpg)

What is the point of bump like that above?

:rolleyes:

oconghc2
16/06/2006, 2:14 PM
example here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2005/08/18/speed_bump_main_203x152.jpg)

:rolleyes:

if you went fast enough you might get a good bunny-hop off it!

Macy
16/06/2006, 2:53 PM
Speaking of traffic calming, there's a hill in Mount Merrion where they added, erm, traffic peninsulas (?!) which basically turned the hill into a two-way, one lane slalom. I wish I had a photo handy. It's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen.
They have a give way sign and line on one side, so one side has to stop if there's on coming cars, the other has to slow down to do the chicane. Not the worst idea, but really depends on the road they're on - if it's not got massive volumes they do work okay.

I expect Dublin City Council will put one in the middle of Donnybrook or more likely the Merrion Road, as that's a route they're determined to fook up as much as possible this summer... :rolleyes:

Bald Student
16/06/2006, 3:03 PM
Speaking of traffic calming, there's a hill in Mount Merrion where they added, erm, traffic peninsulas (?!) which basically turned the hill into a two-way, one lane slalom. I wish I had a photo handy. It's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen.My main objection with them is that they make the driver going uphill stop. It can really slow things down if there's a line of cars and they each have to do the hillstart in turn.

I like the speedbumps which you can go over at about 15 or 20 miles, they make an area more plenest without annoying the drivers. It's the ones that you have to slow to pedestrian speed to get over that are stupid, them and the ones that are so high the car can bottom out going over them.

Lionel Ritchie
16/06/2006, 3:10 PM
They have a give way sign and line on one side, so one side has to stop if there's on coming cars, the other has to slow down to do the chicane. Not the worst idea, but really depends on the road they're on - if it's not got massive volumes they do work okay.

I expect Dublin City Council will put one in the middle of Donnybrook or more likely the Merrion Road, as that's a route they're determined to fook up as much as possible this summer... :rolleyes:

Just back from France where I was very impressed with their traffic calming measures in built up areas.

Going into or out of any town or village the road narrowed into a shallow slalom or chicane. It was literally impossible to speed through. it also meant they'd fewer speed ramps than we have here and as often they were speed "plateaus" like you'd see in an airport. Try speeding over one of them and let me know how much the new shocks cost.

example here

Again in France -where they do try to provide adequate cycle lanes rather making your opposition to them an election platform as happens here in Limerick -that little speed bump would have a long thin traffic island running alongside it -exactly to protect cyclists from the type of gobshyte who'd go into a cycle lane to avoid a speed bump.

They also had marked pedestrian crossings at remarkably frequent intervals -you'd never have to go more than 100 yards to find one.

A face
16/06/2006, 6:53 PM
What i have seen in a few places are different alternating stripes of tarmac, smooth then rough then smooth again, very effective although only good at higher speeds. Rumble stripes are handy enough though and could be used in place of speed bumps.

Saw the worst speed bumps ever in Liverpool, they were like kerbs on footpath, impossible to get over without doing damage.

Block G Raptor
18/06/2006, 8:45 PM
The Speedbumps up at blanch IT are ridiculous. they're about three feet high and a foot wide

dfx-
18/06/2006, 11:41 PM
Saw the worst speed bumps ever in Liverpool, they were like kerbs on footpath, impossible to get over without doing damage.

Kenton on Sea, Eastern Cape: 'Ramps' beside a school that resemble left over concrete dumped, full with cracks down the middle. You've to actually stop and slowly crawl up and over and back down it.

It puts our speed bumps to shame..:eek:

The Stars
19/06/2006, 10:50 AM
what are these things ye are talking about?
are they only in dublin?

A face
19/06/2006, 1:06 PM
what are these things ye are talking about? are they only in dublin?

Yeah, they were invented by a Dub as far as i know.